Page 1 of 1
246 add GPS & stock stereo remote
Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:04 pm
by Slipdm16
I bought a 246 late this fall and bought a fishfinder/GPS (Lowrance hds7) which I plan to mount where the stock stereo remote is located using a ram mount. Do you think I need to add a piece of starboard under where the remote is to support it or is the “wood” strong enough? Goal is to not add new holes or mount the GPS where it’ll ruin the look of the gorgeous dash. Boat’s in storage an hour away so I can’t just go look at it now.
4D7DB9D9-37CA-40D0-BC22-4E722C462ADD.jpeg
On a related note I’m going to replace the stock stereo with a Fusion which has a little hockey puck wireless remote I can just stick anywhere. From what I’ve read the 6 speakers in the 246 are powered from the deck with 2 pairs wired in parallel or serially. Does anyone have more details?
Re: 246 add GPS & stock stereo remote
Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:35 pm
by Big Block Power
Just run all new wires. The front bows are tied with the cockpit frt speakers. Factory speaker wiring back then was terrible, just saying.
Also why don't you put the ram mount on the flat wood section piece in frt of the padded arm rest?
Re: 246 add GPS & stock stereo remote
Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:59 pm
by Slipdm16
Thanks BBP, I’m trying to avoid drilling new holes and I figured I’d have more room laterally to mount the GPS if it was where the existing remote is.
The 246 is a 2006...I’m surprised to hear wiring is that bad! I have a 20 year old Whaler whose wiring is still OK, I would’ve thought Cobalt did everything at a similar level of quality (tinned wires etc)?
Re: 246 add GPS & stock stereo remote
Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:23 pm
by Big Block Power
Slipdm16 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:59 pm
Thanks BBP, I’m trying to avoid drilling new holes and I figured I’d have more room laterally to mount the GPS if it was where the existing remote is.
The 246 is a 2006...I’m surprised to hear wiring is that bad! I have a 20 year old Whaler whose wiring is still OK, I would’ve thought Cobalt did everything at a similar level of quality (tinned wires etc)?
Could you use suction a cup there vs drilling holes? It's just regular old wire. Kind of sad if you ask me. I'm sure Bruce58 would roll over being a electrical engineer.
Re: 246 add GPS & stock stereo remote
Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:01 pm
by Slipdm16
Suction cup ram mount was my original thought, but I’d read some posts about the suction cup falling off, and thought it’d be better for the GPS to have it screwed into something

Re: 246 add GPS & stock stereo remote
Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:34 am
by CaptBob
Look into SeaSucker mounts. While those suckers are expensive (see what I did there!

) they work. I had an Ipad I used as a secondary chart plotter on the flybridge of a previous boat and it held without problems.
I will probably put it on the passenger side of the Cobalt to keep the Admiral from changing my plotter while under way!
Re: 246 add GPS & stock stereo remote
Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:59 pm
by Slipdm16
Thanks Capt Bob, it looks like SeaSucker doesn’t make one big enough for a fish finder

Re: 246 add GPS & stock stereo remote
Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:26 pm
by ajfdj55
Curious to know what you decided to do to mount your GPS? Also what are you doing for a transducer?
Re: 246 add GPS & stock stereo remote
Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:55 pm
by bruceb58
Buy a screw in RAM mount. NO way a suction cup model will work well. The first time it falls off and you break your GPS you will kick yourself. On my last boat, I had a RAM mount that was screwed in. Worked awesome.

Re: 246 add GPS & stock stereo remote
Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:40 pm
by ajfdj55
That'a a very nice mount. What did you do/use for a transducer?
Re: 246 add GPS & stock stereo remote
Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:16 am
by bruceb58
ajfdj55 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:40 pm
That'a a very nice mount. What did you do/use for a transducer?
Is your question to me? If so, I used the stern mounted one that came with that particular Lowrance unit. If I was doing again, I would use the thru hull type that Garmin uses like the one I have with my boat.