Page 1 of 1

Rapid engine cooling - concerned, worried, panic?

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:05 am
by CroweMagnon
I'm trouble shooting a squeak/chirp in the accessory belt bearing components... fine belt rubber dust visible in engine compartment. 2011 Model 200, 150 hrs, 4.3 GxI, open engine cooling system. I ran the engine out of the water with garden hose attached. The engine temp got up to normal operating level. Within 5 minutes I had the belt off, tensioner and idler pulleys. The two pulley bearings spin fine, but the circ pump has a tiny bit of side-to-side play... not much and no grinding. The alternator spins fine. I wanted to pull out the circ pump, so disconnected the garden hose and opened up the raw water drain plugs... HOT. I let the block drain, pulled the lower hoses which drained the last bit of water... HOT. That's when it hit me (dummie), all that hot water was supposed to slowly cool along with the cast iron block. How concerned should I be?

Re: Rapid engine cooling - concerned, worried, panic?

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:26 pm
by bruceb58
Zero concern.

The only concern would be if you had an overheated block and introduced very cold water to it. You are not doing that.

Re: Rapid engine cooling - concerned, worried, panic?

Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:48 am
by CroweMagnon
Thank you. I was almost thinking a cracked block would be OK. Then I could add a few more cylinders/cubic inches😁

Re: Rapid engine cooling - concerned, worried, panic?

Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:01 pm
by Big Block Power
Its junk. Don't believe anything on the internet. Dump a 430 in it now while you can tell your wife what you did with a smile 🤔😉😅😅