Page 1 of 1

CO2 levels while surfing

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:00 pm
by dsthomas
Let me first say I’m the proud new owner of a 2020 R7 Surf delivered in April of this year. A friend of mine sent me this article out of concern regarding the tragic death of a 9 year old boy from CO2 poisoning while boating on an inboard. I’ve been boating since I was a Kid and my family has always been aware of the dangers of CO2 as it relates to boating. All three of the cobalts I’ve purchased had warnings placed near the transom as well as in the owners manual. I know the forward drive has the through prop exhaust that puts the CO2 below the water line and according to the VP promotional video “well behind the surfer”. How true do you guys think that statement is? I’d think with surfing, speeds being what they are at 10-11 mph and the engine at such high rpms there would be a lot more of these kinds of deaths. Thoughts???

Here is the url to the article.

https://www.hccommunityjournal.com/arti ... 6e971.html

Re: CO2 levels while surfing

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:10 pm
by dustinm
My wife just ran across that tragic death on the Cobalt facebook page. Truly one of the saddest events I have heard. I can tell you we will forever be vigilant to prevent this on our boat.

As for why this happened - I wonder if the height of the child played a part? Also like the mother stated most other similar deaths are classified as drownings, without much other investigation.

Re: CO2 levels while surfing

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:17 pm
by Big Block Power
This is why a tow boat and some other owners add this down pipe. Like this. Yes it happens. Very sad. I don't think you will see this in a forward drive. It also can happen to the guests sitting in the rear seats. Some people will add a CO2 alarm. Good idea!

Re: CO2 levels while surfing

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:38 pm
by cmattj
Sad story.. sheesh

Thoughts? Get some carbon monoxide alarms and stick them on your platform . I’ve set them off in my garage dialing in hot rods.
Let’s hope you don’t have the alarm chirping!

Re: CO2 levels while surfing

Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:32 am
by Luv2HuntAR
Dang. That’s an awful story. Wow. I can’t imagine the helplessness & guilt they must have felt. I haven’t given this the first thought. Good info.

Re: CO2 levels while surfing

Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:29 am
by rabiddawg
Thanks for posting this. I saw it on fb but didn’t read the article.

I will be paying more attention when I run the captain call.

Re: CO2 levels while surfing

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:10 am
by Krob1114
rabiddawg wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:29 am Thanks for posting this. I saw it on fb but didn’t read the article.

I will be paying more attention when I run the captain call.
At the risk of showing my ignorance, is that because captain's call sends exhaust directly outside?

Re: CO2 levels while surfing

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:45 am
by AsLan7
Krob1114 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:10 am
rabiddawg wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:29 am Thanks for posting this. I saw it on fb but didn’t read the article.

I will be paying more attention when I run the captain call.
At the risk of showing my ignorance, is that because captain's call sends exhaust directly outside?
.
Yes. Captains call sends the exhaust, raw lake/sea water, and CO2 emissions thru the hull via exhaust pipes that are located above the water line. This above the water option is done using the flip of a switch. Sounds cooler and manly as Tim Taylor from tool time would say.

The default is for the exhaust, CO2 emissions and cooling water to exit thru the prop obviously underneath the water line. Quieter but safer. This is why many states ban a switchable exhaust.

.
[youtube][/youtube]



.

Re: CO2 levels while surfing

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 9:27 pm
by MNStCroix
Out of an abundance of caution I brought a handheld carbon monoxide detector to test the air quality on the swim platform and transom of my 2023 R8 Surf while wake surfing and idling etc. This has the VP forward props. I’ve tested in a variety of conditions and have always had a Zero reading. No CO2 present.
To test the instrument I used it behind my Suburban at the exhaust and the CO2 measured very high. So it works and appears sensitive. Who knows what it would read for a surfer 5-20 feet behind the boat but the Zero readings give some peace of mind. Just thought I’d share.

Re: CO2 levels while surfing

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 4:05 am
by Krob1114
MNStCroix wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 9:27 pm Out of an abundance of caution I brought a handheld carbon monoxide detector to test the air quality on the swim platform and transom of my 2023 R8 Surf while wake surfing and idling etc. This has the VP forward props. I’ve tested in a variety of conditions and have always had a Zero reading. No CO2 present.
To test the instrument I used it behind my Suburban at the exhaust and the CO2 measured very high. So it works and appears sensitive. Who knows what it would read for a surfer 5-20 feet behind the boat but the Zero readings give some peace of mind. Just thought I’d share.
Good information. Thanks for sharing.

Re: CO2 levels while surfing

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 4:02 pm
by jhnmdahl
Just to be clear, CO2 is carbon dioxide, and you'll be gasping for breath to expel it if you inhale too much as your body is quite sensitive to it. CO, or carbon monoxide, is the silent killer, but the only reports I've seen around here of it being a danger in boats are from it accumulating in cabins.

The article seems a bit suspect too, as they never did identify the source of carbon monoxide - it would be incredibly rare to inhale that much in an open deck boat under normal conditions. They also say "At 72 percent, or 720,000 parts per million carbon monoxide, his blood was no longer capable of carrying oxygen" - I can't imagine how his blood could possibly be only 28% blood cells and the rest an inhaled gas. He may have had a bound hemoglobin concentration that was very high, but that's quite different from what they said, which makes me question the rest of the story.