Page 1 of 6
Hello from Toronto
Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:15 pm
by ColinC
After a very long wait, I finally picked up my 2007 212!
Met the transporter this morning in Niagara Falls, NY. Boat was transported up from Montgomery, TX. Towed her the last few miles to the Canadian border and completed the import process. She's now resting at the local marina on Lake Muskoka.
More photos to come, but here's the first...
Re: Hello from Toronto
Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:20 pm
by ColinC
Some details...
5.7L Volvo DP
135 hours
Sitting on a 2016 McClain galvanized trailer
Tossed the new Westland Sunbrella mooring cover on for the tow to Lake Muskoka. Thanks to the advice from CC, she was safe and dry the whole way! Can't wait to get on the water on Sunday.
Special thanks to Big Block. He has been an incredible source of information and support while I worked through the process of getting my first (and definitely not last) Cobalt.
Re: Hello from Toronto
Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:24 pm
by Big Block Power
Yea congrats Colin. The transporter is a real Texan isn't he

good guy. Glad she's finally home

Re: Hello from Toronto
Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:30 pm
by ColinC
Yup. Guy was great to deal with and treated my boat like it was his own.
Nice surprise -- boat has OEM flagpole kit, including the Cobalt flag which has never been used. Time to start thinking about upgrades. Your recommended Sony head unit is #1 on the list.
Re: Hello from Toronto
Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:22 am
by Driller
Welcome. I really like the red accent strip with the red Bimini.
I've only been here a short while, but I have to agree that everyone is very helpful.
A friend is headed up your way for Carnival. She says it's quite the party!
Re: Hello from Toronto
Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:35 am
by Ytmsn
Nice boat, and I'm partial to the stripe. Welcome come to the gang! And you gotta watch that BB fella.. he'll help you before you even know it!
Re: Hello from Toronto
Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:22 am
by Big Block Power
I like helping spend other people's money.lol I spent plenty of my own. The flag is a bonus. The people that own that company are real nice. Talked to them a few times for the base.
Re: Hello from Toronto
Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:01 am
by jhnmdahl
A good looking boat that will turn heads for years to come. Looks like an older sister to my 210!
Kenwood, Sony, and a lot of other brands make pretty good marine stereos, but if you want to do it right the first time, Fusion is the way to go for a head unit. Some people like Wet Sounds speakers, but I would go with JL Audio on that side.
Re: Hello from Toronto
Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:20 pm
by Nicad
Great, that makes two of us with boats from Texas on Lake Muskoka. We had Canada Day fire works last night and I took the boat to watch it near Walker's point. There had to be 1000 boats in the water. Cobalt has great market share up on this lake. Very nice looking boat, Congratulations. . Mine is all tarnished with the colour of lake Muskoka on the bottom.
Re: Hello from Toronto
Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:01 am
by Southernboatman
Nice Colin! Many pics expected from Toronto! Yeah about the site...waay too much help! We might need a puzzler thread to see if someone can stump the pros here!
Re: Hello from Toronto
Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:27 am
by Alaskabound
Colin, welcome & good looking boat. Nice Fourth of July colors. As for stereos, my boat came with A Rockford Fosgate unit. It sounds great. My only complaint is it does not play cd's. I'm one of those older guys who struggles with all this bluetooth stuff & doesn't have grandkids to help! Good luck.
Dub
Re: Hello from Toronto
Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:32 pm
by liquid
Red stripe is killer. Congratulations and welcome!
Nicad - Time for The Works! Get that scum line off! Link to original post on cleaning etc :
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=101
and BB - Congratulations also in order for our new "Fleet Admiral"! ... 1000+ posts and counting... all at night and during lunch and on vacation. Keep 'em coming pal, here's to several thousand more.
Re: Hello from Toronto
Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:34 pm
by liquid
Alaskabound wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:27 am
Colin, welcome & good looking boat. Nice Fourth of July colors. As for stereos, my boat came with A Rockford Fosgate unit. It sounds great. My only complaint is it does not play cd's. I'm one of those older guys who struggles with all this bluetooth stuff & doesn't have grandkids to help! Good luck.
Dub
Does it have a headphone jack?
Re: Hello from Toronto
Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:41 pm
by ColinC
Just back from a week of vacation and some good time out on the water. Thoughts so far...
1. I'm digging the red stripe and red bimini combo. Really thought I wanted a navy bimini, but the combination of the red waterline stripe matched to the red bimini really catches the eye. Local marina guy said 'Classic Chris Craft colors with Cobalt performance' when he saw her.
2. Love having the 5.7 duoprop. So much torque. Yes, a BB would be nice, but this powerplant seems well matched.
3. Nobody believes this boat is 10 years old. I'm not sure I believe it. Boat has two or three very minor scuffs on the hull that will easily buff out. Interior is mint other than a spot on the dash near the bow walk-thru that looks like a cigarette burn repair. It isn't noticeable, though I may try and improve.
4. The stereo is wired to a separate aux-in that is located beside it in the glove compartment, along with a 12V outlet. I connected my phone to the aux-in via the phone's headphone jack. It works, but it's time for a head unit upgrade! And some better speakers.
5. The carpet has a slightly funky smell even when dry. It looks clean. The black rubber backing is all good. But it's time for a proper cleaning! Next year I'd like to replace the carpet with sea grass and possibly add SeaDek to the swim platform.
6. The mooring cover looks great and works, but what a PITA! As soon as the boat is hauled out in the fall she is going to the canvas shop for Sunbrella tonneau covers -- separate bow and cockpit. While the mooring cover is well made, I'm convinced that the product designers at Westland aren't boaters. The most egregious example of this is the rope ratchet hook. The hook is bare metal and that gets placed against your hull, with the cover material providing marginal protection (at best) from scratches and scuffs. Could they not at least plasti-dip the metal hook? The optional protective pouch is almost as useless. It's very easy for the rope ratchet to slide right through and the padding is thin. I've already jury rigged a better solution.
7. Replaced the Interstate battery with an Exide Edge G24 AGM. Like most folks on CC, I'm a 'belt and suspenders' type, so I also bought a boost pack. NOCO Genius Boost GB40. Cheap insurance at $99.95 from Amazon. Nice and compact. Fits in a corner of the glove box.
8. Time for custom bow registration numbers and vessel name. I quickly put on some temporary numbers. They have to go! We're thinking of naming the boat 'Gratitude' or 'Happily Ours'. I also like 'Life is Good', but I'm one of four votes and the rest of the fam isn't loving it.
9. Wood trim on dash and steering wheel is gloss, but wood on glove box is matte. Is that normal? Doesn't seem right to me.
10. Trailer needs a few tweaks. Plan to remove the McClain stickers and replace with custom Cobalt stickers in black, blue or navy vinyl. First order of business is getting a spare (with a matching Sunbrella cover) and some idiot sticks (also with matching Sunbrella pads). Side marker lights need to be attached properly as the rivets aren't tight enough and the ground isn't holding, so they blink on and off at times. May also add some reflective tape in various spots. License plate for the trailer will also get a Cobalt frame.
11. Time to replace the fenders. Bought some 6.5" and not impressed. Not enough protection. I'm going the 2burgs route and have ordered two 15" Tuff End bouys. Will get fleece covers from Maine Coast Marine Products.
12. Wires on the bimini ring-pins need to be replaced. Seems like this is the only non-stainless metal on the boat and the wires have rusted quite badly. The wire will be easy to replace, but not sure what to do about the attachment at the rivets. Has anyone else done this fix?
13. Tow rig gets replaced tomorrow. Pic to follow.
Re: Hello from Toronto
Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:46 pm
by ColinC
14. Thinking of a bit of boat bling. Blue LED cuphodlers (x10) and replacing the interior lights with matching blue LED bulbs (x3).
15. I'm missing the stern light. Can't seem to find a good stainless stern light and need to figure out proper length. The Attwood I bought is too short -- hits the bimini right at the cross brace. Assume the original was 36" or longer.