Page 1 of 1
2018 200s Mooring Cover
Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:53 am
by Willson3
Just purchased a 2018 200s. It came with the snap on covers, but I personally prefer a mooring cover that wraps around the edge of the boat. I hate dealing with 100 snaps that eventually wear out and get loose. Anyone know what the easiest and least expensive way to purchase a Cobalt mooring cover specific to my boat? I contacted the closest dealer, but they said they have to check on pricing and call me back. That was 48 hours ago. Is this something I have to purchase through a dealer?
Re: 2018 200s Mooring Cover
Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:15 pm
by jma2@fuse.net
My guess is yes you have to purchase through a dealer if you want the Cobalt specific cover. You can go to Cobalt's website and build your boat and see what the price is for the mooring cover when you select options.
Re: 2018 200s Mooring Cover
Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:18 pm
by akorcovelos
For what the factory cover is going to cost you can have a custom one made exactly how you want it.
Re: 2018 200s Mooring Cover
Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:43 pm
by JTinMO
Just get a custom one made like Akor said. You can get features you really want for rope holes, etc. The cobalt cover is pricey (overly so), and you can get a better product that works better going custom. And with the snap covers you have time on your side. You will likely be waiting for Commercial Sewing to make a cobalt cover regardless.
Re: 2018 200s Mooring Cover
Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:51 pm
by SAB220
Custom? try...Baldmikes.com order a Westland Cover...you'll be asked some questions about the design of your boat. Sometimes people and businesses confuse a mooring cover with a trailer cover... know the difference....straps
In my option, if you have a tower ...snaps may be the only way for a mooring cover and I HATE snaps. I have Westland custom trailer sunbella cover (beautiful fits like a glove) , and a custom Westland sharkskin for the mooring but the kids (adults) continue to use the snap cover because of the tower. Suggest you search the forum for other ideas this topic has been discussed.
Re: 2018 200s Mooring Cover
Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:23 pm
by Willson3
SAB220 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:51 pm
Custom? try...Baldmikes.com order a Westland Cover...you'll be asked some questions about the design of your boat. Sometimes people and businesses confuse a mooring cover with a trailer cover... know the difference....straps
In my option, if you have a tower ...snaps may be the only way for a mooring cover and I HATE snaps. I have Westland custom trailer sunbella cover (beautiful fits like a glove) , and a custom Westland sharkskin for the mooring but the kids (adults) continue to use the snap cover because of the tower. Suggest you search the forum for other ideas this topic has been discussed.
On the Westland cover, are the trailering straps removable? Also, is there a strap that runs around the circumference of the boat that tightens down as well? I don't see a coverage option for the Cobalt 200s past the year 2007.
Re: 2018 200s Mooring Cover
Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:34 pm
by Big Block Power
Willson3 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:23 pm
SAB220 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:51 pm
Custom? try...Baldmikes.com order a Westland Cover...you'll be asked some questions about the design of your boat. Sometimes people and businesses confuse a mooring cover with a trailer cover... know the difference....straps
In my option, if you have a tower ...snaps may be the only way for a mooring cover and I HATE snaps. I have Westland custom trailer sunbella cover (beautiful fits like a glove) , and a custom Westland sharkskin for the mooring but the kids (adults) continue to use the snap cover because of the tower. Suggest you search the forum for other ideas this topic has been discussed.
On the Westland cover, are the trailering straps removable? Also, is there a strap that runs around the circumference of the boat that tightens down as well? I don't see a coverage option for the Cobalt 200s past the year 2007.
Call Bald Mike he will get you what you need. Great guy!!
Tell him Chad sent you.
Re: 2018 200s Mooring Cover
Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:23 am
by SAB220
Willson3 - Yes and yes. TRAILER COVER There are loops in the cover you feed the straps through... the straps come separate, matter of fact you need to figure out which strap you keep long (bow) (length) and which strap (stern) to keep short and use a plastic tie wrap to group (tie-off) the excess strap ( I don't have a heart to cut-off the excess strap), and there's high quality cord strap that runs around the circumference of the boat that tightens down two Ratcheting hooks per side on the P & S that causes the cover to fit like a glove BUT that's the Westland Sunbella TRAILER cover.
For the Westland sharkskin I use as a MOORING COVER - It the same configuration. however , I bought non-opening clips on the P & S then I sliced the cover at the stern to exposed and cut the cord and and installed the Ratcheting hooks/clips that came with the sharkskin cover on the stern. (I obviously don't use the sharkskin straps.) To put the cover ON , the idea is the place the clips to together on the P & S around the tower then crawl under the cover to put the molded cover nose-on at the bow, install the cover push up things, then tighten the cover when your water (small boat) at the stern. Then Row around to the P & S to check the cover clips. OH I also have a HangTyte cut into sharkskin cover.
I recommend to Westland a couple of years ago they offer a pure mooring cover similar to this ...
Hope this makes sense AND this is for a 2004 boat not a 2018
Re: 2018 200s Mooring Cover
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:44 am
by Willson3
SAB220 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:23 am
Willson3 - Yes and yes. TRAILER COVER There are loops in the cover you feed the straps through... the straps come separate, matter of fact you need to figure out which strap you keep long (bow) (length) and which strap (stern) to keep short and use a plastic tie wrap to group (tie-off) the excess strap ( I don't have a heart to cut-off the excess strap), and there's high quality cord strap that runs around the circumference of the boat that tightens down two Ratcheting hooks per side on the P & S that causes the cover to fit like a glove BUT that's the Westland Sunbella TRAILER cover.
For the Westland sharkskin I use as a MOORING COVER - It the same configuration. however , I bought non-opening clips on the P & S then I sliced the cover at the stern to exposed and cut the cord and and installed the Ratcheting hooks/clips that came with the sharkskin cover on the stern. (I obviously don't use the sharkskin straps.) To put the cover ON , the idea is the place the clips to together on the P & S around the tower then crawl under the cover to put the molded cover nose-on at the bow, install the cover push up things, then tighten the cover when your water (small boat) at the stern. Then Row around to the P & S to check the cover clips. OH I also have a HangTyte cut into sharkskin cover.
I recommend to Westland a couple of years ago they offer a pure mooring cover similar to this ...
Hope this makes sense AND this is for a 2004 boat not a 2018
Do Westland covers have ratchets built in to tighten the cover around the hull of the boat? My old Yamaha had one on each side toward the rear of the boat, and the ratchet mechanisms were housed in a zipped area and were not exposed to the elements, and also so they could never rub on the boat.
Re: 2018 200s Mooring Cover
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:04 pm
by SAB220
Yes all that and a accessory bag, but no ratchet on the stern..great for trailer cover, awful for a mooring cover.