Page 1 of 1

Used or New 220S

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:36 pm
by andymoler58
I think the boat dealers hate me since I've changed my mind on a boat about 5 times now.

I started thinking R7 but then came down to reality with this virus stuff.

I was set on an almost brand new CS22 with only 3 hours for 43k but I don't like the wraparound platform and I didn't like the plain navy blue.

Now I am trying to decide between a 2013 220 and a brand new 220. The 2013 is in great shape, 270 hp, and only 100 hours.

The new one is the blue red white combo I want and well, its new. The used one is 37k and the new one is 65k though.

This would be my first boat, my family used to have Cobalts growing up so I'm familiar with boating. My lake would be about 1.5 hours away which is kind of far.

I would appreciate your thoughts on which way to go.

Re: Used or New 220S

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:30 pm
by mdadgar
Wait a couple of months - you'll have your pick of late-model, low-hour preowned boats. And you'll still have the whole summer ahead of you.

- Mark

Re: Used or New 220S

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:39 pm
by Big Block Power
You can't ask us that. Buy one I don't care. Pictures ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
Ok I say buy the one with the 240. I hope I made Bob happy.
Believe me your dealer isn't sick of you. They're are worse buyers believe me.!

Re: Used or New 220S

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:31 pm
by BobRae99
The 2013 has low hours and seems like a good buy compared to the new boat. But, when you buy new, you can order exactly what you want, but you pay for it. You can get a 220s with light equipment and a V8/300 for around $68,000 or with the V6/280 for around $65,000 plus taxes.

I'm not sure we'll see as many boats come on the market used in the spring compared to previous years. I wonder if we won't see those deals in the fall? Maybe people will be trading boats on new ones but until the factory gets production moving and the economy gets moving again, I can see things stalling through this summer. But maybe Mark is right and there will be more boats on the market in June.

I guess it just comes down to how much you want to spend.

Re: Used or New 220S

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:38 pm
by Chrispval
I would consider resale. Lots of 220โ€™s I imagine hit the market each year as people upgrade to an R series. For that reason, I would buy a used 220 before I consider a new. Being 1.5 hours away, I assume means you anticipate not alot of usage. I would buy used if its your first, save your custom order after you fall in love with the brand. New boats should be a 10 year decision, but more often than not, we all end up trading up early.
Smart used purchases help you enjoy boating, while finding your niche of whatโ€™s important to you.

Re: Used or New 220S

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:43 am
by XLI
You've narrowed it down to a 220 so that is good. The 220 has not really changed from '13 to now. That is one of the things I like about Cobalt. I assume both boat prices reflect trailers as well. You didn't mention the color combo of the used boat but I'm assuming it's ok. There have been advancements in the engines of the newer boats. VP got fresh water cooling and an easy drain system and Mercs got a pressurized drain system. The new engines are a little more efficient as well and under warranty BUT $28k buys A LOT of gas and maintenance (interest free).

What about the interior color scheme of the two boats? Is the used the "S" sport layout? If the used interior is similar or acceptable that is a big plus in the used column as you spend most of your time looking at the interior. Are they both dual props? I assume the 270 hp engine is the Volvo. I had that in a 200s and it had a good hole shot and mid range acceleration. It sounded good too! I didn't get the top end I thought I would though. I topped out at about 48 with two people and about 45 with 4 -6. Don't get me wrong. It was still plenty fast and my engine had a lot more hours.

My vote is go the used route. You were originally interested in a larger boat. If you fall in love withe the used 200 great! It is a great family boat. If you get the itch in a couple years, the depreciation hit is much less.

Re: Used or New 220S

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:09 am
by Big Block Power
There will be and they're plenty of used 220s in the market. This year more and more R series boats are hitting the market. Last year very few R3s were listed. This year a bunch of 2014s out there. Depending how many dealers got stock orders there will be a good deals on those. Watch the factory kick out some cool incentives. Maybe even a 430 for the price of a 380? I can only hope. This will be a buyers market. But looking right now the used market price is still pretty high.

Re: Used or New 220S

Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 10:54 am
by Krob1114
We have lots of opinions but only you know your pocketbook.
We bought as much as we could afford...if you're considering new...go for it.

Re: Used or New 220S

Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 8:56 pm
by mdadgar
mdadgar wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:30 pm Wait a couple of months - you'll have your pick of late-model, low-hour preowned boats. And you'll still have the whole summer ahead of you.

- Mark
Well, that didn't age well. :lol: :lol: :lol:

- Mark

Re: Used or New 220S

Posted: Mon May 31, 2021 6:39 am
by Big Block Power
mdadgar wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:56 pm
mdadgar wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:30 pm Wait a couple of months - you'll have your pick of late-model, low-hour preowned boats. And you'll still have the whole summer ahead of you.

- Mark
Well, that didn't age well. :lol: :lol: :lol:

- Mark
Maybe another 2 years.

Re: Used or New 220S

Posted: Mon May 31, 2021 7:09 am
by Krob1114
A factor we considered: I'm getting old and only have "x" number of years to enjoy boating.