Page 1 of 1

LED lighting upgrade

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:03 pm
by Iowariverrat
Hi Folks,

I've got a couple burned out bulbs on what I'm assuming is the factory installed courtesy lights. Perfect excuse to begin my LED upgrade...low hanging fruit, right?

Anyway, I pulled this one out from behind the dash. Frankly, I'm ignorant about most things LED. Have any of you replaced something similar? What did you go with?

Long term, my tentative plan is to:

Replace courtesy lights with white LED and maybe add a couple depending on how it looks (6 currently I believe)
Replace navigation lights with LED
Install RGB strip or rope lights under gunwales and anywhere else I decide it looks cool
Upgrade stereo to include RGB speaker lights

Re: LED lighting upgrade

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:29 pm
by Chrispval
I just added JL tower speakers that are RGB, and noticed there was a wire for this in tower. I have the RGB courtesy Led light factory option. Does anyone know if cobalt uses the factory RGB controller for the speakers too, or do they use a seperate RGB controller for the speakers. I didnt want to tie into the exisiting RGB controller under the dash until I confirmed as I heard you can overload them

Re: LED lighting upgrade

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:36 pm
by Holy Smokes
For all the courtesy lights and any others, I was able to just pull the bulb numbers and/or type and source a replacement at www.superbrightleds.com

Re: LED lighting upgrade

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:01 pm
by Big Block Power
Iowariverrat wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:03 pm Hi Folks,

I've got a couple burned out bulbs on what I'm assuming is the factory installed courtesy lights. Perfect excuse to begin my LED upgrade...low hanging fruit, right?

Anyway, I pulled this one out from behind the dash. Frankly, I'm ignorant about most things LED. Have any of you replaced something similar? What did you go with?

Long term, my tentative plan is to:

Replace courtesy lights with white LED and maybe add a couple depending on how it looks (6 currently I believe)
Replace navigation lights with LED
Install RGB strip or rope lights under gunwales and anywhere else I decide it looks cool
Upgrade stereo to include RGB speaker lights
That bulb should come out of that socket. Push down and turn.

Re: LED lighting upgrade

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:02 pm
by Big Block Power
Chrispval wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:29 pm I just added JL tower speakers that are RGB, and noticed there was a wire for this in tower. I have the RGB courtesy Led light factory option. Does anyone know if cobalt uses the factory RGB controller for the speakers too, or do they use a seperate RGB controller for the speakers. I didnt want to tie into the exisiting RGB controller under the dash until I confirmed as I heard you can overload them
That's all going to be tied in together.

Re: LED lighting upgrade

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:45 pm
by Iowariverrat
Yep, I managed to eventually figure that one out on my own. :lol: I ordered one and if it works out I'll order more!

Re: LED lighting upgrade

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:58 pm
by Big Block Power
Iowariverrat wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:45 pm Yep, I managed to eventually figure that one out on my own. :lol: I ordered one and if it works out I'll order more!
Whew. Because if you couldn't get a bulb out by yourself I'm thinking your in a world of hurt.

Re: LED lighting upgrade

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:12 pm
by Iowariverrat
Oh trust me that's my world either way...

Took a look a the shipping price and decided in for a penny, in for a pound. Got 6 on the way.

Re: LED lighting upgrade

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:32 pm
by Big Block Power
Iowariverrat wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:12 pm Oh trust me that's my world either way...

Took a look a the shipping price and decided in for a penny, in for a pound. Got 6 on the way.
There you go. You get the led stainless steel cup holders yet. 1 led at a time. Lol

Re: LED lighting upgrade

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:47 pm
by Iowariverrat
hahaha slow and steady isn't really my thing anyway. Those cupholders do look cool though! I'm having a hard time justifying because mine already has stainless cupholders...but we'll see what happens...

Re: LED lighting upgrade

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:07 pm
by Big Block Power
Iowariverrat wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:47 pm hahaha slow and steady isn't really my thing anyway. Those cupholders do look cool though! I'm having a hard time justifying because mine already has stainless cupholders...but we'll see what happens...
Awe. Then you get led rings go under the upper lip of the cup holder.

Re: LED lighting upgrade

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:39 pm
by Iowariverrat
Now there's an idea...

Re: LED lighting upgrade

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:49 pm
by Big Block Power
Iowariverrat wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:39 pm Now there's an idea...
I'm here to help but mostly to help others spend money.
Bfun has those leds and they look really good.

Re: LED lighting upgrade

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:40 pm
by Iowariverrat
This could be dangerous I seem to do that well enough on my own, look out!

Nice, I'll have to keep an eye out for them. Only ones I found offhand are about the same price as doing a whole new cupholder....decisions decisions

Re: LED lighting upgrade

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:52 am
by Big Block Power
Just a quick search.