Page 1 of 2
Fuel consumption on R5 with VP380
Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:43 pm
by rfholman
I'm a new Cobalt owner and I'm wondering if anyone happens to know the hourly fuel consumption (G/h) of an R5 with 380. My Garmin Chartplotter has fuel consumption but my dealer says it's not available on my boat. Not sure why. Appreciate any guidance.
Re: Fuel consumption on R5 with VP380
Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:56 pm
by tfarmer
One way of looking at it, as also a new R5 (VP350) owner, $100 a weekend.

Re: Fuel consumption on R5 with VP380
Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:49 pm
by Bwilford
If you have kids who love tubing, wake boarding and surfing...$300 per weekend
Re: Fuel consumption on R5 with VP380
Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:44 am
by Norris_Boating
rfholman wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:43 pm
I'm a new Cobalt owner and I'm wondering if anyone happens to know the hourly fuel consumption (G/h) of an R5 with 380. My Garmin Chartplotter has fuel consumption but my dealer says it's not available on my boat. Not sure why. Appreciate any guidance.
You would need the Volvo trip computer to get that info on the Garmin, a Volvo dealer would need to install. I never got a price but given all the other things the trip computer can do it probably costs as much as a summer worth of gas.
The fuel usage is tied to RPM higher RPM higher usage, it doesn't really matter what you are doing. Usually around 3500rpm is the most efficient home when traveling.
Re: Fuel consumption on R5 with VP380
Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:15 am
by Airbagguy
rfholman wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:43 pm
I'm a new Cobalt owner and I'm wondering if anyone happens to know the hourly fuel consumption (G/h) of an R5 with 380. My Garmin Chartplotter has fuel consumption but my dealer says it's not available on my boat. Not sure why. Appreciate any guidance.
Congratulations on the new Cobalt! I’m curious, does your speedometer have two digital displays at the bottom? Mine has two displays and two buttons that toggle through various info ie. Trim, Voltage, Water Temp, Air Temp, Trim %, Fuel %, Depth, Gph, etc..
I just purchased a 19 CS23 with the Volvo 300, and also have the Garmin, but don’t have EVC, I think this is what you’re missing. On the option list the engine is listed with a “C” or a “CE”, C is for non EVC and CE is for EVC. I’m currently looking into what’s involved in adding it. I let you know what I find out.
Gary
Re: Fuel consumption on R5 with VP380
Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:22 am
by tgrace98
Airbagguy wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:15 am
rfholman wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:43 pm
I'm a new Cobalt owner and I'm wondering if anyone happens to know the hourly fuel consumption (G/h) of an R5 with 380. My Garmin Chartplotter has fuel consumption but my dealer says it's not available on my boat. Not sure why. Appreciate any guidance.
Congratulations on the new Cobalt! I’m curious, does your speedometer have two digital displays at the bottom? Mine has two displays and two buttons that toggle through various info ie. Trim, Voltage, Water Temp, Air Temp, Trim %, Fuel %, Depth, Gph, etc..
I just purchased a 19 CS23 with the Volvo 300, and also have the Garmin, but don’t have EVC, I think this is what you’re missing. On the option list the engine is listed with a “C” or a “CE”, C is for non EVC and CE is for EVC. I’m currently looking into what’s involved in adding it. I let you know what I find out.
Gary
All the r series with a VP have EVC. So that’s not the issue.
Re: Fuel consumption on R5 with VP380
Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:34 pm
by BobRae99
My R3 (350) has used about 90 litres in 7 hours quick includes motoring in and out of the marina and cruising on calm water around 25 - 35 mph during the first 10 hours of break in. I considered an380 for my boat and Cobalt said it would use a bit more than the 350. I’m not sure if that helps you. BR (PS 3.79 litres is 1 US gallon).
Re: Fuel consumption on R5 with VP380
Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:53 pm
by mdadgar
Bwilford wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:49 pm
If you have kids who love tubing, wake boarding and surfing...$300 per weekend
That seems like a lot. My A25 with 380 burns ~9 gph towing tubes. It comes out to about $70/day even at absurd California gas prices.
- Mark
Re: Fuel consumption on R5 with VP380
Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:07 pm
by Gail Force
I have the Volvo trip computer option. $561. plus $200 install fee. 2019 R7 with 380 vp.full tank of gas running fh6 prop set two people onboard.. According to the trip computer I ran some numbers for you. 20MPH was 3000RPM at 6.7gph. 24mph was 3200RPM at 7.3 gpm. 26mph was 3400RPM at 7.8gpm. 29MPH was 3600RPM at 9gph As a note I find the trip computer to be within about 4 - 5 gallons of accuracy on a 40 to 50 gal fill up. You would think for the $$ it would be more accurate especially considering twin Garmin 7607s at $1000. each.
Re: Fuel consumption on R5 with VP380
Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:03 pm
by BobRae99
Gail Force wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:07 pm
I have the Volvo trip computer option. $561. plus $200 install fee. 2019 R7 with 380 vp.full tank of gas running fh6 prop set two people onboard.. According to the trip computer I ran some numbers for you. 20MPH was 3000RPM at 6.7gph. 24mph was 3200RPM at 7.3 gpm. 26mph was 3400RPM at 7.8gpm. 29MPH was 3600RPM at 9gph As a note I find the trip computer to be within about 4 - 5 gallons of accuracy on a 40 to 50 gal fill up. You would think for the $$ it would be more accurate especially considering twin Garmin 7607s at $1000. each.
Is it reporting over consumption or under consumption?
Re: Fuel consumption on R5 with VP380
Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:22 pm
by MnLakeBum
Bwilford wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:49 pm
If you have kids who love tubing, wake boarding and surfing...$300 per weekend
Yep, on a good 3 day weekend we go through 80+ gallons of fuel with our R5 Surf and Marker One with 350 Verado.
Re: Fuel consumption on R5 with VP380
Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:53 am
by Gail Force
Over consumption. On last fill up Its said I would be needing 47 gal and it only took 42.
Re: Fuel consumption on R5 with VP380
Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:21 pm
by BobRae99
Gail Force wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:53 am
Over consumption. On last fill up Its said I would be needing 47 gal and it only took 42.
I guess you'd like better accuracy, but its better that you have more actual fuel left than being reported as opposed to less.

Re: Fuel consumption on R5 with VP380
Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:55 pm
by jhnmdahl
You can get about 3mpg at 3000 rpm, at about 22mph and about 7.2gph for optimal cruise efficiency. Figure top speed is about 52mph, with just shy of 30gph for about 1.8mpg.
John
Re: Fuel consumption on R5 with VP380
Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:00 pm
by Tuscany
How can you put a price on a good time?..The smiles are the reward!
My 380/430 is pretty good, we get three of our boat days out of a tank.. 77 gallons..