Page 1 of 1

Wiring to back breaker panel

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:14 am
by BigGib
So I'm looking to install 3 underwater LED transom lights to my 2008 302 and I have a question about the factory wiring. I'm going to be pulling around 10 amps total.

Does anyone know if Cobalt ran wires to the back breaker panel from the switches not being used on the dash? I have a captains call switch and spot labeled on the back breaker panel, but no captains call exhaust. If the wire is already run here that would make this install much easier. Just buy the correct breaker and run a 14ga 2 wire to the hubs that I bought, and hook all 3 lights up there.

Re: Wiring to back breaker panel

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:22 am
by sailor55330
My understanding is every boat is wired for every option so probably yes.

Re: Wiring to back breaker panel

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:30 am
by BigGib
So with that just being a breaker box with 2 posts on the breaker, how would I add the switch into this circuit?

Re: Wiring to back breaker panel

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:32 pm
by sailor55330
I’m the wrong one to answer. I’m sure more knowledgeable people will chime in shortly

Re: Wiring to back breaker panel

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:46 pm
by BigGib
sailor55330 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:32 pm I’m the wrong one to answer. I’m sure more knowledgeable people will chime in shortly
I appreciate any input! I have heard that Cobalt is good at running wires for all options, just not sure if that was still true in 2008? I'm guessing I could run a relay if I want to use a switch at the dash and use a breaker in the panel at the back. I just want to avoid running a large gauge wire 30 feet to the back.

Re: Wiring to back breaker panel

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:13 pm
by Big Block Power
Yes they are wired that way even in my 2003. Wire it to the switch your fine. If you need help getting lights let me know. šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
Ok maybe I might need help from you. Lol

Re: Wiring to back breaker panel

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:02 pm
by BigGib
Big Block Power wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:13 pm Yes they are wired that way even in my 2003. Wire it to the switch your fine. If you need help getting lights let me know. šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
Ok maybe I might need help from you. Lol
Ha, I'm all set on the lights lol! Just trying to figure out the best way to wire it all up. I'm going to have the boat on a trailer to do some gelcoat repair soon so figured it was the best time to add some lights!

FYI, we discontinued our line of transom lights so they are a steal right now!

Re: Wiring to back breaker panel

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:15 pm
by BigGib
Went with 3 of the blue 8-)

Re: Wiring to back breaker panel

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:19 am
by Big Block Power
Of you want to cheat. I wired mine with my anchor lights on my last boat. Tapped in to that and done.

Do they have any rgb ones. Pm the price if so. Thanks