Page 1 of 2
Don't forget to use your blower!
Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:06 pm
by Big Block Power
I just saw this. It's from LOTO and could have been much worse.
Don't be in a hurry be safe!
https://www.lakeexpo.com/boating/boat_c ... 137a1.html
Re: Don't forget to use your blower!
Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:56 pm
by akorcovelos
Ouch. Gotta give it a good sniff test anyway.
Re: Don't forget to use your blower!
Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:10 pm
by AsLan7
.
Wow. That sure sounds like a gasoline fume build up to me too.
The blower is one of THE most valuable pieces on a boat ( also required). I actually replaced mine last year since the original one became noisy showing signs of wear.
I even turn mine on when just idling around. It’s use is invaluable.
.
Re: Don't forget to use your blower!
Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:21 pm
by Big Block Power
AsLan7 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:10 pm
.
Wow. That sure sounds like a gasoline fume build up to me too.
The blower is one of THE most valuable pieces on a boat ( also required). I actually replaced mine last year since the original one became noisy showing signs of wear.
I even turn mine on when just idling around. It’s use is invaluable.
.
Yep if I smell anything I turn mine on. I was cleaning the bilge the other day in the garage. Nothing better to do. Lol
Just from the Meguiar's degreaser fumes I turned it on and gone. Saved my lungs.
Re: Don't forget to use your blower!
Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:52 pm
by cmattj
Scary how it’s the reason for the blower. Considering where everyone usually sits , it appears they will survive. Awful
Re: Don't forget to use your blower!
Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:05 pm
by Driller
I always open my engine compartment to check the oil prior to initial startup, but I still use the blower while the lift is lowering. Gives it a good 3-4 minutes. Filling with gas always. The attendants stand around like "What are you waiting for", but it's not their boat, it's mine.
Re: Don't forget to use your blower!
Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:17 pm
by Big Block Power
Yea the ones filling the gas should tell you when filling to turn on the blower. I don't fill up on the water but you always hear of the story. I don't ever want to see it.
Re: Don't forget to use your blower!
Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:23 pm
by mdadgar
AsLan7 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:10 pm
I even turn mine on when just idling around. It’s use is invaluable.
I do, too. Why not? It's cheap insurance and my family is not easily replaceable.
- Mark
Re: Don't forget to use your blower!
Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:04 pm
by ajcampen
mdadgar wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:23 pm
AsLan7 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:10 pm
I even turn mine on when just idling around. It’s use is invaluable.
I do, too. Why not? It's cheap insurance and my family is not easily replaceable.
- Mark
I tend to leave mine on during water sports. Then I don’t wait to turn it on After stoping. If that is bad let me know
Re: Don't forget to use your blower!
Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:45 pm
by AsLan7
ajcampen wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:04 pm
mdadgar wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:23 pm
AsLan7 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:10 pm
I even turn mine on when just idling around. It’s use is invaluable.
I do, too. Why not? It's cheap insurance and my family is not easily replaceable.
- Mark
I tend to leave mine on during water sports. Then I don’t wait to turn it on After stoping. If that is bad let me know
.
Not bad at all AjC.
The only downside would be noise or blower wear. Mine is so quiet you can hardly hear it with the engine off... and these things are built to go for quite sometime so blower wear is almost a nonissue. IMHO, you can never have too much fresh air down there in the bilge. Let her blow baby.
.
Re: Don't forget to use your blower!
Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:18 pm
by ajcampen
AsLan7 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:45 pm
ajcampen wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:04 pm
mdadgar wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:23 pm
I do, too. Why not? It's cheap insurance and my family is not easily replaceable.
- Mark
I tend to leave mine on during water sports. Then I don’t wait to turn it on After stoping. If that is bad let me know
.
Not bad at all AjC.
The only downside would be noise or blower wear. Mine is so quiet you can hardly hear it with the engine off... and these things are built to go for quite sometime so blower wear is almost a nonissue. IMHO, you can never have too much fresh air down there in the bilge. Let her blow baby.
.
Thanks for advice A7. What do you do after picking up a fallen skier or tuber when you then want to restart engine?
Re: Don't forget to use your blower!
Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:31 pm
by Big Block Power
I run the blower. I turn it on when I pick them up. By the time the next one is ready is been a few minutes anyways. Fire up and go. Yes half the time I forget to turn it off.
Re: Don't forget to use your blower!
Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:47 pm
by AsLan7
ajcampen wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:18 pm
AsLan7 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:45 pm
ajcampen wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:04 pm
I tend to leave mine on during water sports. Then I don’t wait to turn it on After stoping. If that is bad let me know
.
Not bad at all AjC.
The only downside would be noise or blower wear. Mine is so quiet you can hardly hear it with the engine off... and these things are built to go for quite sometime so blower wear is almost a nonissue. IMHO, you can never have too much fresh air down there in the bilge. Let her blow baby.
.
Thanks for advice A7. What do you do after picking up a fallen skier or tuber when you then want to restart engine?
.
As soon as we come off plane the blower comes on.
The required four minutes of ventilating before start is rarely an issue then.
.
Re: Don't forget to use your blower!
Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:23 pm
by Bfun220
Big Block Power wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:31 pm
I run the blower. I turn it on when I pick them up. By the time the next one is ready is been a few minutes anyways. Fire up and go. Yes half the time I forget to turn it off.
+1
I forget about 80% of the time.
Re: Don't forget to use your blower!
Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:49 pm
by mdadgar
Bfun220 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:23 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:31 pm
I run the blower. I turn it on when I pick them up. By the time the next one is ready is been a few minutes anyways. Fire up and go. Yes half the time I forget to turn it off.
+1
I forget about 80% of the time.
Yup, me too.
No downside.
- Mark