Page 1 of 1

idea for mounting lowrance with Ram Mount--would this work?

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:38 pm
by sailor55330
So, with time on my hands, I had an idea. I want to put a Go 7 on the boat, but I don't want to drill holes in the dash and it doesn't really fit the way I like it on the R3 for a flush mount in the cubby to the lower right of the steering wheel. My idea is to mount a ram mount to this replaceable dash cubby hole/dash insert. It looks like it's held in with 4 bolts. I called my dealer and I can obtain a new dash insert for $65. I could remove the original, put in the new one with a fabricated backing plate and then drill for a ram mount that would raise the unit, keep the cubby and move it to the right where it can be seen. Sorry I don't have an image---it's all in my head at this point. Can any of you visualize this and if it would work?

Re: idea for mounting lowrance with Ram Mount--would this work?

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:17 pm
by Photo_G
Hi,

Here's a thread that might be helpful (unless you've already seen it):

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1983&p=55337#p55337

I mounted my Hook-7 above the steering column as shown in the posting (my cubby is still accessible), but if you scroll up there are some console/cubby flush mount examples that you night be able to adapt. It sounds like a cool project! My mount idea was finished after some trial-and-error, but I'm really happy with the result.

G

Re: idea for mounting lowrance with Ram Mount--would this work?

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:47 pm
by Driller
sailor55330 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:38 pm So, with time on my hands, I had an idea. I want to put a Go 7 on the boat, but I don't want to drill holes in the dash and it doesn't really fit the way I like it on the R3 for a flush mount in the cubby to the lower right of the steering wheel. My idea is to mount a ram mount to this replaceable dash cubby hole/dash insert. It looks like it's held in with 4 bolts. I called my dealer and I can obtain a new dash insert for $65. I could remove the original, put in the new one with a fabricated backing plate and then drill for a ram mount that would raise the unit, keep the cubby and move it to the right where it can be seen. Sorry I don't have an image---it's all in my head at this point. Can any of you visualize this and if it would work?
I think it would work, but it might extend out too far to see the screen. My GO7 is flush mounted and I still look down at a pretty steep angle. You might consider coming up first off the panel and then at a right angle. Not sure if you have room.

Re: idea for mounting lowrance with Ram Mount--would this work?

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:26 pm
by sailor55330
Driller wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:47 pm
sailor55330 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:38 pm So, with time on my hands, I had an idea. I want to put a Go 7 on the boat, but I don't want to drill holes in the dash and it doesn't really fit the way I like it on the R3 for a flush mount in the cubby to the lower right of the steering wheel. My idea is to mount a ram mount to this replaceable dash cubby hole/dash insert. It looks like it's held in with 4 bolts. I called my dealer and I can obtain a new dash insert for $65. I could remove the original, put in the new one with a fabricated backing plate and then drill for a ram mount that would raise the unit, keep the cubby and move it to the right where it can be seen. Sorry I don't have an image---it's all in my head at this point. Can any of you visualize this and if it would work?
I think it would work, but it might extend out too far to see the screen. My GO7 is flush mounted and I still look down at a pretty steep angle. You might consider coming up first off the panel and then at a right angle. Not sure if you have room.
I was already thinking up then out/over