Page 1 of 1
question on ram mount for chartplotter
Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:12 pm
by sailor55330
I've read the older posts on her about chartplotters and I saw that some of you have used ram mounts. Some seem to really like them, others, tolerate them, and others don't like them. For those of you who have lived long term with them, what's the long term result? I really want to add a chartplotter, but I really don't want to drill holes into the dash. Flushmounting doesn't really seem to be favored. Also, for those of you with a ram mounted chartplotter, how do you power it? 12v or hardwire?
Thanks
Re: question on ram mount for chartplotter
Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:51 pm
by akorcovelos
watching this one as I'm still on the fence on the RAM mounts as well.
Re: question on ram mount for chartplotter
Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:43 pm
by jhnmdahl
Working on a 12v hard-wired installation, involving the short "universal" arm type mount. I looked at ideas for a couple years before getting my hands on a ram mount and deciding that it was the sturdiest solution I had seen that would work in my space constraints. I'll likely have more photos in a few weeks, but I did have to make a backing plate that goes under my dash to mount it where I wanted it.
My current challenge is finding an elegant way to get the cables under the dash. I'm looking at the Scanstrut cable seals, but not sold on a solution there yet.
John