Page 1 of 3

Help choosing color

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:15 am
by fafastern
I'm down to these 3 color selections and can't quite decide. Any suggestions? Does anyone have the shale? How does it hold up? Fading etc?

Re: Help choosing color

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:24 am
by BobRae99
I drove myself crazy trying to pick a colour too - I feel for you. While colour is a personal preference (and shale isn't my first choice), I'd pick the top picture (Shale with Red Edge stripe). My second choice would be all Shale with red edge stripe.

A caution about bottom colours; if your boat will be moored in the water (and I think I'm the only person on the forum who moors in water :-) ), then according to Cobalt, a white hull is best. I had originally settled on Ebony/White Edge/Red bottom, but Cobalt advised against the coloured bottom saying it tends to "blush" over time - meaning some hazing - which isn't covered by the gel coat warranty.

Re: Help choosing color

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:27 am
by jhnmdahl
I like the top one of these three best too, and and surprised I like the bottom one as my second choice. With a shale top and bottom, I actually kind of like the way a white stripe looks over most of the colors.

Re: Help choosing color

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:29 am
by fafastern
That’s great advice! Yes my boat will be in the water because the Boathouse isn’t tall enough to install a lift. Thanks!

Re: Help choosing color

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:44 am
by BobRae99
fafastern wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:29 am That’s great advice! Yes my boat will be in the water because the Boathouse isn’t tall enough to install a lift. Thanks!
Good to know. I initially found the information in the R3 Owner's Manual - Warranty on page 1-2: https://cobaltboats.com/art/manuals/201 ... pdf#page20

After I read that I reached out to my dealer who wasn't quite sure about choosing a coloured bottom and suggested I reach out to Cobalt directly. So, my boat will be Ebony hull with Knock Our Red Edge stripe and a white bottom. :)

Re: Help choosing color

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:52 am
by BobRae99
jhnmdahl wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:27 am I like the top one of these three best too, and and surprised I like the bottom one as my second choice. With a shale top and bottom, I actually kind of like the way a white stripe looks over most of the colors.
I really like the white edge stripe too. The Ebony/White/Red (bottom) boat I saw at my dealer had me thinking about that choice, but alas, no coloured bottom for me.

Re: Help choosing color

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:54 am
by BobRae99
fafastern,

Have you picked your other options yet? Is this an R3 or R5/R7? Do you currently have a boat?

Re: Help choosing color

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:05 pm
by akorcovelos
Top one, classic and I like a white bottom.

Re: Help choosing color

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:09 pm
by fafastern
BobRae99 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:54 am fafastern,

Have you picked your other options yet? Is this an R3 or R5/R7? Do you currently have a boat?
I just sold my 2013 Cobalt 276. This will be an R5. Yes I’ve picked out all of my options.
Easy fold bimini
Platinum sound
Oval Cobalt logo
Docking lights
Flag
Swim step mat
Transom lighting
Colored stitching
Sea grass
LED RGB interior lighting
Battery switch
Windlass anchor

Re: Help choosing color

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:48 pm
by sailor55330
Was always leery of a colored gel coat on the bottom. Seems like it would scratch way to easy on the trailer or possible if it was beached. They can look sharp though

Re: Help choosing color

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:57 pm
by tgrace98
I like option number 1 the best. I am not a fan of the painted hull and white sides.

Re: Help choosing color

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:42 pm
by BobRae99
tgrace98 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:57 pm I like option number 1 the best. I am not a fan of the painted hull and white sides.
I'm not either, but they are doing all of the Surf boats in that scheme.

Re: Help choosing color

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:27 pm
by BeaverLakeR5
I agree with the others. #1 is by favorite.

Re: Help choosing color

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:53 pm
by Driller
Top photo is my favorite

Re: Help choosing color

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:41 pm
by Tuscany
I’m not a standard kind of guy. The Bottom photo would be my choice because it’s different. And, I actually like it the best.