Page 1 of 1

Trailer Bearing Seal

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:32 pm
by Newman
Any one ever have trouble finding the correct bearing seal for their trailer?

I have a 1998 23LS. The hub has inner bearing L68149 and outer bearing L44649 - which is a very common bearing pair for a 3500 lb axle with a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern and #84 spindle.

The problem I'm having is that bearing pair is so common for that axle, that the only seal available is a 2.56" OD x 1.72" ID, which seems to fit every hub in the world, except for mine.
But the seal for my hub is 2.33" OD x 1.72 ID, and I can't find it.

So instead of chasing down a stupid seal to rebuild 20 year old drum brakes and hubs, I think I'm just going to put disc brakes on the rear axle and free spindles on the front axle.

Re: Trailer Bearing Seal

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:01 pm
by Newman
couple more pics - 20 year old drum brakes are naaaasty

Re: Trailer Bearing Seal

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:56 pm
by Big Block Power
The number for the seal is right there.

Re: Trailer Bearing Seal

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:19 pm
by Newman
Wow, how did I miss that?
And why did I put the hub back on after taking the pictures?

Thanks, BB.

Still think I want to change to disc brakes though. . .

Re: Trailer Bearing Seal

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:13 pm
by thunder550
Newman wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:19 pm Wow, how did I miss that?
And why did I put the hub back on after taking the pictures?

Thanks, BB.

Still think I want to change to disc brakes though. . .
DO it. 4 wheel with EOH! I'll help you spend your money, and when we're done your brakes will be worth more than the rest of the trailer. I'm an expert with that :D