Page 1 of 1

Ever Wonder How Boat Fires Start?

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:24 pm
by NautiGirl
They start with stuff like this:
20190202_163043.jpg
That is the wiring to the 1000w inverter that was included on our boat. I knew it was aftermarket, but I never really looked at how it was installed. Big mistake. Not only had all the wires seen better days, but it was also directly wired to the port battery with no inline fuse or circuit breaker. We used it a few times last year, thank God we didn't have a short.

Moral of the story, keep an eye on electrical components. Keep an extra eye on anything not installed at the factory. Never know what kind of hack job you may discover.

Re: Ever Wonder How Boat Fires Start?

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:30 pm
by AsLan7
Boy you’re right. Good thing you caught that before it turned deadly, team Nauti. Hopefully others will take notice of any similar wiring issues after seeing your pic. Thx for posting that.

Re: Ever Wonder How Boat Fires Start?

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:13 am
by Ytmsn
Wow. Another reason I take my stuff to the stereo shop. Good thing you caught it Jeef.

Fortunately the guy I use is a friend that has been in business for 28 years and has a lifetime guarantee on his work. Otherwise...any wiring I would do would be a mess.

I know, I know, I should learn wiring and "embrace" it.

Then it would be like this is
20180617_090102.jpg