Page 1 of 3
Hello from MO! Advice on a 262 needed
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:18 pm
by CD262
Hey guys,
My wife and I just put a deposit down on a 2011 262 down at the LOZ. We're very excited to move up from our current boat, a 2011 Four Winns H240. After looking over this boat, there really is no comparison to the fit and finish that Cobalt offers. My late Uncle had a house at the LOZ that I spent a lot of time at as a child and always owned Cobalts. He swore by them as the best boats on the water and the only thing he would ever own. Naturally, I have always been drawn to and partial to them, but needed to ease the Mrs. into the $ commitment that it would take to get into one. We have a slip on Mark Twain Lake and do most of our boating there. We will, from time to time, make a trip down to Table Rock to spend the weekend.
The boat that we will be purchasing is a 2011 with 144 hours. All in all it seems to be a pretty straight boat. Final delivery will only come after a sea trial (which will no doubt be cold) once it warms back up a bit. In the meantime, is there anything you all would consider that I look into which would be Cobalt-specific? I've been around boats since childhood, and this will be our 3rd, so I'm by no means an expert but know enough to be dangerous. The boat did not have a trailer, so I am having one made through Haul-Rite, which is their 7,500# model with 5k tandem axles. I'll be pulling it with my Sierra 1500 with a 6.2. I know this is within specs, but still a lot of boat for the truck. I won't be pulling it often as it will spend the most of the time on a lift, hence not going into a 2500 at this point.
Appreciate any thoughts you guys may have on this particular model and look forward to talking with you all!
Re: Hello from MO! Advice on a 262 needed
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:31 pm
by Big Block Power
Welcome. Can't wait for pictures or it didn't happen. I myself would make a list for things to check otherwise you will get caught up in the black beauty and forget about the things you should be looking for.
Re: Hello from MO! Advice on a 262 needed
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:54 pm
by tgrace98
Hello from St. Louis! And a fellow 262 owner. You are going to love it!
I have family that lives up around Mark Twain lake. I use to take my old jet ski out on it all the time. However I am now a full time Table Rocker. We are planning a meetup at table rock in June you should tow your new beauty on down!
Re: Hello from MO! Advice on a 262 needed
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:12 pm
by akorcovelos
Welcome from Illinois! Can't wait to see the new family member!
Re: Hello from MO! Advice on a 262 needed
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:33 pm
by tgrace98
Any chance this is it?
https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2011 ... %20listing
If so I bought my boat from Brandon. He’s a straight up guy. Bought mine about the same time last year. I lucked out and got to sea trial mine on a 65 degree day in January.
Re: Hello from MO! Advice on a 262 needed
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:11 pm
by cmattj
Congratulations and welcome from California!!
Awesome model and yeah we need pics.. power options and more pics from your sea trail.
The truck will be fine with only a slight struggle on inclines. Braking will be decided on what your new trailer is being equipped with.
And if it has 22” tires they tend to heat up rapidly on long tows .
Picssssssssss
Re: Hello from MO! Advice on a 262 needed
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:37 pm
by CD262
tgrace98,
Yes that would be the one. I'm not working with Brandon however, he was out that day when I asked for him, I am working with his colleague Ryan. Assuming you were happy with the process working with those guys?
cmattj,
I'll be sure to post some of my own pics, but tgrace98 has the link above for the sneak peek, I guess, haha. It has the VP 8.1 GI in it. The trailer I am ordering has surge brakes (disc). I opted for brakes on both axles as opposed to one.
Thanks guys!
Re: Hello from MO! Advice on a 262 needed
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:58 am
by MnLakeBum
Welcome! You will be pleased with being a Cobalt owner!
Re: Hello from MO! Advice on a 262 needed
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:06 am
by tgrace98
CD262 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:37 pm
tgrace98,
Yes that would be the one. I'm not working with Brandon however, he was out that day when I asked for him, I am working with his colleague Ryan. Assuming you were happy with the process working with those guys?
cmattj,
I'll be sure to post some of my own pics, but tgrace98 has the link above for the sneak peek, I guess, haha. It has the VP 8.1 GI in it. The trailer I am ordering has surge brakes (disc). I opted for brakes on both axles as opposed to one.
Thanks guys!
Yep Ryan took us out on the sea trial because Brandon was tied up with another walk in customer. Both good guys.
I was very happy with them. I had them fix a few minor things and actually had them store the boat while I was waiting on my lift to be installed at table rock. They held up to all the agreed upon terms and delivered the boat to me for free. I’d buy from them again for sure in the future.
Re: Hello from MO! Advice on a 262 needed
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:24 am
by jma2@fuse.net
Cobalt Specific?
- I'd ask why the seller is selling it, and why it wasn't used for 8 years, i.e., why are the hours are so low.
- I'd also look into any recalls or campaign notices and make sure they have been addressed.
Otherwise, I cant think anything else that you would not do before purchasing any used boat. Here are a few things I would focus on:
- Inspect the engine, engine compartment, and bilge very closely—look for anything out of the ordinary; is it clean, all cables/wires neat and securely attached, hoses tight, etc...
- Check that all electrical systems are functional, and look under the helm for anything that may seem out of the ordinary.
- Inspect the gelcoat very closely with a light (if possible)—look up and down the sides of the hull and gunwales for any signs of repair, cracks, chips, etc... (I say this because a buddy of mine purchased a used boat with low hours, and after one season he noticed missing gelcoat from what appeared to be prior prior repairs from the bottom of the hull, so now he's stuck with the problem).
- Inspect all hardware—look for factory fit-&-finish of the cleats, fender clips, snaps, bimini frame, etc... (make sure nothing is loose).
- Open all hatches and storage areas and inspect. Use your nose—does it smell moldy or musty? Make sure hinges and attaching hardware are not loose.
- Inspect each upholstered item closely for signs of abnormal wear and mold, and check underneath the upholstered item for the same. In this regard, unsnap the carpet/seagrass and examine/smell the carpet back and deck.
- Check the outdrive and prop, and make sure that the very low engine (and presumably vessel) hours appear consistent with how the drive looks.
Finally, your olfactory system is probably one of the best investigative tools available. You may feel silly in front of the seller smelling everything on the boat, but you'd be surprised what you might discover. For example, I looked several Cobalts before purchasing mine. One of them had very low hours and looked promising, so I drove 200 miles to look at it. It smelled of sun tan lotion and was musty. Also the bimini hardware was loose, and it was clear it was being used as a grab-rail when underway. Overall, it was apparent that the owner did not take very good care of the boat, but yet he was asking a "Cobalt premium" in resale price—I walked from it.
It sounds like you're purchasing from a reputable dealer, and it's good that you get a test drive before delivery. Nevertheless, it's you're dime—so you want to make sure it meets all of your expectations upon delivery and thereafter. There is a fierce amount of loyalty and pride in Cobalt ownership. Welcome to the family.
Re: Hello from MO! Advice on a 262 needed
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:22 am
by AsLan7
.
Hey CD262, welcome to the CChat forum. So glad you found us!
That’s a great color combo on that model. Your particular 262 series hull with rear side entry ran from 2008 to 2015. Like the prior 2000 -2007 series models, Cobalt’s goal was to create an SUV on the water with the handling of a sports car. You’ll be able to haul as many as 15 persons while also enjoying water sports.
Looking forward to more pics. Fusenet offered up some great advice above.
Again, welcome aboard mate!
.
Re: Hello from MO! Advice on a 262 needed
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:40 pm
by Ytmsn
Welcome from Oklahoma! Nice boat!
And thanks for the lesson A7. I thought the 260 series was discontinued after 2007 and redesignated the 272 in 08.
Re: Hello from MO! Advice on a 262 needed
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:03 pm
by tgrace98
Ytmsn wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:40 pm
Welcome from Oklahoma! Nice boat!
And thanks for the lesson A7. I thought the 260 series was discontinued after 2007 and redesignated the 272 in 08.
From my understanding the 252 became the 262. Because in 2008 they ditched the extended swim platform option and just had the molded platform. And started measuring LOA from bow to swim platform. Instead of the transom.
Re: Hello from MO! Advice on a 262 needed
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:29 pm
by AsLan7
tgrace98 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:03 pm
Ytmsn wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:40 pm
Welcome from Oklahoma! Nice boat!
And thanks for the lesson A7. I thought the 260 series was discontinued after 2007 and redesignated the 272 in 08.
From my understanding the 252 became the 262. Because in 2008 they ditched the extended swim platform option and just had the molded platform. And started measuring LOA from bow to swim platform. Instead of the transom.
Yup
Completely different hull starting in 2008.
Re: Hello from MO! Advice on a 262 needed
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:23 pm
by Bobo87
Howdy from Texas CD. Once you own a Cobalt you will understand it is more than a brand. It is a way of life.