Page 1 of 2

Anchor chain

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:44 am
by sailor55330
Do you guys use any leader chain on your anchors? I've been thinking about adding 6ft of coated chain to my danforth. No matter what I do, it won't hold in sand and I'm thinking that this should help. The anchor the boat came with had line only and it never seems to hold. The theory is it causes the boat to pull the anchor horizontally to let it dig in better.



Also, for those of you using mushroom style anchors, how heavy and what model of boat. I think mine's a little light.

Re: Anchor chain

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:28 pm
by Ytmsn
6' of chain will help tremendously. A mushroom won't hold a heavy boat at all. Several of us here use a digger anchor. I use the 12 lb. one and it works good.

Re: Anchor chain

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:25 am
by akorcovelos
I use a Danforth with 4' of chain as my main anchor, and have a large mushroom I use as a stern anchor for parking in tight crowds, works well.

Re: Anchor chain

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:02 am
by Big Block Power
I use about 6 feet of chain on my digger. But on there website directions it says not to use one. Great anchor.

Re: Anchor chain

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:25 am
by tgrace98
I use a digger as well with no chain. Grabs every time.

Re: Anchor chain

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:33 am
by AsLan7
akorcovelos wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:25 am I use a Danforth with 4' of chain as my main anchor, and have a large mushroom I use as a stern anchor for parking in tight crowds, works well.
+1 with the exception of a second danforth in the rear with the sandy bottoms in Erie.

.

Re: Anchor chain

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:22 am
by Stagdad
Definitely a chain, 4' is good 6' even better.

Re: Anchor chain

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:47 am
by cmattj
sailor55330 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:44 am
Also, for those of you using mushroom style anchors, how heavy and what model of boat. I think mine's a little light.

My 20 lb mushroom anchor is awesome. I’m using a hand powered windlass. Holds like a champ!

How bigs your Canoe?? Ours is 16ft šŸ˜Ž

Re: Anchor chain

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:39 am
by AsLan7
Awesome pic matt!

Re: Anchor chain

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:16 pm
by thunder550
cmattj wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:47 am How bigs your Canoe?? Ours is 16ft šŸ˜Ž
Did you wash your boat in warm water? It's smaller than I remember.

Re: Anchor chain

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:25 pm
by Holy Smokes
Several boaters at LOTO swear by the Box Anchor (aka Slide Anchor). Lightweight and folds up for easy storage.

https://www.slideanchor.com/boxanchor/

Re: Anchor chain

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:30 pm
by thunder550
Holy Smokes wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:25 pm Several boaters at LOTO swear by the Box Anchor (aka Slide Anchor). Lightweight and folds up for easy storage.

https://www.slideanchor.com/boxanchor/
I love mine! Just had to go one size bigger than recommended to make it hold.

Re: Anchor chain

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:46 pm
by 2ridgebacks
thunder550 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:30 pm
Holy Smokes wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:25 pm Several boaters at LOTO swear by the Box Anchor (aka Slide Anchor). Lightweight and folds up for easy storage.

https://www.slideanchor.com/boxanchor/
I love mine! Just had to go one size bigger than recommended to make it hold.
I went one size bigger as well. It's a beast to retrieve, but the boat doesn't move. Even on a short scope. And to answer the OP, I don't use chain.

Re: Anchor chain

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:08 am
by Photo_G
2ridgebacks wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:46 pm
thunder550 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:30 pm
Holy Smokes wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:25 pm Several boaters at LOTO swear by the Box Anchor (aka Slide Anchor). Lightweight and folds up for easy storage.

https://www.slideanchor.com/boxanchor/
I love mine! Just had to go one size bigger than recommended to make it hold.
I went one size bigger as well. It's a beast to retrieve, but the boat doesn't move. Even on a short scope. And to answer the OP, I don't use chain.
I see that there is a baby, a small (~20 lbs), and a large (~30 lbs) on Amazon for a decent price. What size did you land on?

https://www.amazon.com/Slide-Anchor-Off ... roduct_top

TIA,
G

Re: Anchor chain

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:38 am
by sailor55330
I've seen the box anchor on Youtube...I have my questions about it. It seems like the majority here like them.

How hard are they to store? How hard are they to pull up? Seems like it could be a nightmare in a weedy muddy bottom like we have around here.

I also saw a video that shows the anchor "rolling" and resetting. Kind of sounds like dragging to me.

Insights appreciated.

Thanks