Page 1 of 2

Remote Start for Tow Vehicle.....

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:56 pm
by AsLan7
.
I'm talking to an installer about having a remote start unit installed on our 2015 GL550. Since the vehicle is basically the work horse of the family, she (the vehicle :D ) gets quite a bit of use. Wifeee would sure like to be able to heat the cabin up before leaving work on those cold winter days when it's parked outside in the parking lot of her school. Christmas gift? :P

Curious if anyone else here has had one installed and can offer any words of wisdom. :?:

FWIW, we would only need the key FOB option to start this vehicle (vs smart phone/cellular which tends to be buggy) since her office is right next to where it is parked. ....and we can also use the OEM fob instead of a separate one.

Any thoughts on installation, price, advice?

.

Re: Remote Start for Tow Vehicle.....

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:11 pm
by Bfun220
Due to the security features installed on your car, you can’t install a universal $50 remote engine start kit. Most installation shops won’t even be able to install remote engine start on your MB if they don’t have a kit that is designed specifically for Mercedes-Benz cars.

I assume your going with either iDatalink ADSBZ1, or the SmartKey Starter system .

Re: Remote Start for Tow Vehicle.....

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:29 pm
by AsLan7
Bfun220 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:11 pm Due to the security features installed on your car, you can’t install a universal $50 remote engine start kit. Most installation shops won’t even be able to install remote engine start on your MB if they don’t have a kit that is designed specifically for Mercedes-Benz cars.

I assume your going with either iDatalink ADSBZ1, or the SmartKey Starter system .
To your first paragraph, you’re correct bf220.
Installer recommended this one...

.

Re: Remote Start for Tow Vehicle.....

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:36 pm
by NautiGirl
It's a 2015 MB and it doesn't have remote start? Same as BMW I guess tons of stuff that should be standard are still high cost options.

Was it a factory option? I know on the Ford F150's even if it didn't come from the factory with it the wiring harness is all there. Think it's just a couple part orders from Ford a quick Flash of the computer module that takes care of remote start to enable it and you are good to go.

I am sure things have changed, but back in the day after market remote start installs always made me cringe. Too much hacking around important wires and bypassing security stuff.

Re: Remote Start for Tow Vehicle.....

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:52 pm
by AsLan7
NautiGirl wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:36 pm It's a 2015 MB and it doesn't have remote start? Same as BMW I guess tons of stuff that should be standard are still high cost options.

Was it a factory option? I know on the Ford F150's even if it didn't come from the factory with it the wiring harness is all there. Think it's just a couple part orders from Ford a quick Flash of the computer module that takes care of remote start to enable it and you are good to go.

I am sure things have changed, but back in the day after market remote start installs always made me cringe. Too much hacking around important wires and bypassing security stuff.
.
Totally agree with you team Nauti. 2016 & later versions have it. 2015 and earlier did not (internet capable). Almost unbelievable to me to not offer something so basic.
Unfortunately you have quite a few old folks at the helm of these large companies who cater to an older crowd and become completely out of touch with reality. As great as the mechanics are with this vehicle, it’s technology (even in the latest models) is light years behind where it should be. Don’t even get me started on Mbrace. :oops: You’re going to see a massive revolution in the vehicle industry within the next 5-10 years. It will be painful but the game is totally changing. What you witnessed yesterday with GM is just the tip of the iceberg. Once you’ve experienced the technology of a younger startup, everything is ancient until the rest can catch up.

Ok, I’ll get off my soap box. :lol:
Anyone else have one installed?

.

Re: Remote Start for Tow Vehicle.....

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:07 pm
by Ytmsn
Mine is factory on my Chevy truck, but yeah, I use it all the time. You just have to hit the lock button then start it up on the fob. I have 10 minutes to put the key in or it shuts off. I really like it.

Re: Remote Start for Tow Vehicle.....

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:24 pm
by Bfun220
NautiGirl wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:36 pm Was it a factory option? I know on the Ford F150's even if it didn't come from the factory with it the wiring harness is all there. Think it's just a couple part orders from Ford a quick Flash of the computer module that takes care of remote start to enable it and you are good to go.
When I looked at doing my mercedes it was a couple of modules that you had to purchase. Other than the flash, it was pull and play. Never did it though.

Re: Remote Start for Tow Vehicle.....

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:52 pm
by AsLan7
Ytmsn wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:07 pm Mine is factory on my Chevy truck, but yeah, I use it all the time. You just have to hit the lock button then start it up on the fob. I have 10 minutes to put the key in or it shuts off. I really like it.
After you remote start your vehicle with your key fob, YT, do you have to do anything additional to take it out of “remote start mode” or do you just shift and drive away?

Re: Remote Start for Tow Vehicle.....

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:03 am
by Ytmsn
AsLan7 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:52 pm
Ytmsn wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:07 pm Mine is factory on my Chevy truck, but yeah, I use it all the time. You just have to hit the lock button then start it up on the fob. I have 10 minutes to put the key in or it shuts off. I really like it.
After you remote start your vehicle with your key fob, YT, do you have to do anything additional to take it out of “remote start mode” or do you just shift and drive away?
There are 4 buttons on the remote. Lock, unlock, panic and start. You have to lock it first, then hit the start button. When I walk up to the truck I hit unlock, climb in, stick the key in and turn it on, otherwise it shuts off after 10 minutes. And you just switch it on, not all the way to the start switch like.. umm.. someone did the first time.

Re: Remote Start for Tow Vehicle.....

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:09 am
by tgrace98
Ytmsn wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:07 pm Mine is factory on my Chevy truck, but yeah, I use it all the time. You just have to hit the lock button then start it up on the fob. I have 10 minutes to put the key in or it shuts off. I really like it.
Erin’s GMC Acadia has this as well. You can adjust it to longer as well through the vehicle settings.

A7 to answer your question to take it out of remote start mode you put your foot on the brake and hit the engine start button like you would to normally start it. My 2016 Nissan Maxima is the same way. It is also factory.

Re: Remote Start for Tow Vehicle.....

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:15 am
by Ytmsn
Hmm.. I never did that. I just put the key in and switch it on. No wonder my mileage has dropped. It's been running this whole time!😁

Re: Remote Start for Tow Vehicle.....

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:45 am
by AsLan7
tgrace98 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:09 am
Ytmsn wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:07 pm Mine is factory on my Chevy truck, but yeah, I use it all the time. You just have to hit the lock button then start it up on the fob. I have 10 minutes to put the key in or it shuts off. I really like it.
Erin’s GMC Acadia has this as well. You can adjust it to longer as well through the vehicle settings.

A7 to answer your question to take it out of remote start mode you put your foot on the brake and hit the engine start button like you would to normally start it. My 2016 Nissan Maxima is the same way. It is also factory.
.
Hmmm....Interesting TG98. Pushing the start button while depressing the brake pedal, would that not just turn off the engine? ....or do you depress the start button, then depress the brake pedal....or uh, vice versa...oh this is going to be a joy trying to explain to the wifeeee :? Maybe I'll just buy her a new ice scraper instead. :lol:

Re: Remote Start for Tow Vehicle.....

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:55 am
by NautiGirl
On my 2018 Chevy with the push button start, even when not using the remote start feature, you have to depress the brake to be able to even start the vehicle.

But still the same process when using the remote start. When you get in the vehicle you press the brake then the start button. So if you still are old school with a key this isn't a concern.

I am just happy that Chevy finally got smart and now when I use the remote start the defrost is turned on along with the heated seats. Before you had to turn the car off with the features on that you wanted to come back on when remote starting. I was terrible at remembering this.

Re: Remote Start for Tow Vehicle.....

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:18 am
by AsLan7
On my 2018 Chevy with the push button start, even when not using the remote start feature, you have to depress the brake to be able to even start the vehicle.


This is the way all of our push button start cars have worked going back to the early 2,000's. No issues there. It's also the way we turn off the car, ie depress and hold the brake pedal and push the button. If you do not depress and hold the brake pedal while pushing the button then the car can go into accessory mode, or if you push the button again, standby mode.



.
But still the same process when using the remote start. When you get in the vehicle you press the brake then the start button.


So if you start your car via the remote start, then hop in, then depress the brake, release the brake, then push the start button, ....it will take your Chevy out of "remote start mode", correct? :?:
(then in order to start driving you depress and hold the brake pedal again and shift as you do normally.)

OR

can you just hop in after using remote start and start driving as we do now without the semantics above (which would be my preference :P ).
.

Re: Remote Start for Tow Vehicle.....

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:33 am
by cmattj
Correct. On push button just push the button. On key type just switch to on.

You only get 2 auto starts with GM and probably on most for Saftey reasons. GM in auto start if vehicle Hvac is left in “ Auto will run heat and air conditioning depending on outside ambient temperatures. Cooled seats as well.

Mfg have the tunes lean in auto start to reduce emissions further , but it can still fume a garage. And a lot of Cat exhaust heat.

Fun feature for winter and summer 😎