Page 1 of 1
New member - 2018 220s
Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:13 am
by DCLfan
Here are my formal intro photos. A new 2018 220s with the 6.2L 350 hp engine, which solved the nagging question of "is the 250 in the showroom CS22 really enough engine" quite nicely.
IMG_8999-Edit.jpg
A88I6607-forum.jpg
Re: New member - 2018 220s
Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:08 am
by Driller
Welcome from Austin, TX. Good to have you onboard DCL. Great looking boat.
Re: New member - 2018 220s
Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:05 am
by tgrace98
Welcome from St. Louis/table rock lake. Love the color scheme. The 350hp should be nice in a 220s. That’s the boat that got me into cobalts! Rented one last fall and after that the only brand I looked at.
Re: New member - 2018 220s
Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:05 am
by AsLan7
Beautiful lake pics DCLFAN. So glad you found us.
Welcome aboard mate!
.
Re: New member - 2018 220s
Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:53 am
by Islander208
Looking great on the water!!! Love the color combo.
Re: New member - 2018 220s
Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:23 am
by Big Block Power
Welcome from Wisconsin .
Re: New member - 2018 220s
Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:32 am
by Ytmsn
Welcome from Oklahoma! Nice color and good looking (
black) boat! Is it running by remote in that first pic?

I can't see a driver!
Re: New member - 2018 220s
Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:00 am
by DCLfan
Ytmsn wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:32 am
Is it running by remote in that first pic?

I can't see a driver!
Yes, it does add an unsettling aspect to the photo. But my wife is in there, wearing a dark hoodie and blocked by the tower base. I should have titled it “does anyone know what the string attached to the bottom of the throttle is for?”
Re: New member - 2018 220s
Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:06 am
by ajcampen
Welcome from Columbus Ohio...very jelly of those transom speakers
Re: New member - 2018 220s
Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:09 am
by NautiGirl
Looking good! Love the action shots. Welcome from KY!
Re: New member - 2018 220s
Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:52 pm
by DCLfan
Here is a humorous story. Over the last few boating days, I’ve been characterizing the boat performance by doing a serious of runs and recording RPM, MPH, GPH, etc. My wife was the note taker as I called out numbers. This is endless source of bemusement for her, and she views it as a sad commentary on how I have fun.
So, I pulled into a cove and we floated for a while, people/boat watching. A guy in a nice small fishing boat comes by and stops in the same cove, electric motor at the bow, outboard in the back, nice helm. He is occupied with something in his boat.
After a while, my wife calls out “Catch any fish?” He replies, “No, I’m just checking out the electronics”.
Hah!
Re: New member - 2018 220s
Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:36 pm
by ATX Cobalt
Another welcome from Austin, Texas! Love the color combo and matching tower.
Re: New member - 2018 220s
Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:41 pm
by Cycleman6
Welcome. I'm sure that 6.2 is quite the motor to have in the 220s. I had a 220S last season with the 4.5 Mercruiser and it did really well with that motor.
Re: New member - 2018 220s
Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:58 am
by Alaskabound
2nd Ky welcome. Like Cycle, I have a v6 that does great, about 50 top end. What is top end with the 6.2?
Dub
Re: New member - 2018 220s
Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:14 am
by DCLfan
I haven't gotten to top speed yet, haven't opened it up all the way during the break-in, but here are some numbers:
B3 26 pitch
2460 ft asl
mph as measured by the boat smart gauge which is about 1 mph less than GPS speed.
rpm mph
2600 22
3000 27
3220 30
3400 32
3500 33
3980 38
4200 40
4590 43
4880 46
Using a simplistic division of mph by rpm, my mph is 0.94% of rpm over this range, at least. If WOT results in 5300 rpm, then the top speed would be 50 (possibly 51 by GPS), with my props and altitude. I'm going to get a VesselView mobile module so data gathering in the left hand seat will be a screen capture, rather than pencil and paper and my squinting at the dials.
The point of the bigger motor though, is to get up to speed more quickly, right? Not so much the top speed? Though in our case, it also serves to answer the nagging question of did we get a big enough engine for this boat? Yes. Yes we did. This was a joint purchase with my brother in law, and the subject did come up.