Page 1 of 4

IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:27 pm
by BobRae99
My boat was delivered this afternoon. Go a run down with the dealer and a 1/2 sea trial. While still in the initial break in, the boat seems plenty responsive and adding a bit of throttle at 3,000 RPM provides a noticeable kick forward. Docking is a bit stressful, dealer had to assist (this is my first boat), but I guess I'll work it out.
IMG_0304.jpg

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:55 pm
by Driller
BobRae,, just a hint. Remove the fenders when underway. It's a sure sign of a newby. Love your boat. Great color scheme.

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:58 pm
by Ytmsn
Good for you Bob! Don't worry about launching and docking, you will get better with time. Go out during the week when no one is around and practice practice practice. Good looking boat!

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:07 pm
by BobRae99
Thanks. There will be no in and out with this boat, it stays moored in the marina all season. I'll be back out at the lake Friday, There are many double slips that won't have boats in them until July 1 so I plan to practice. fair bit this weekend. Fenders were only on the boat as the dealer was launching it to tie it immediately to the dock and go through the systems and controls. :)

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:10 pm
by NautiGirl
Congrats and enjoy!

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:13 pm
by Driller
BobRae99 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:07 pm Thanks. There will be no in and out with this boat, it stays moored in the marina all season. I'll be back out at the lake Friday, There are many double slips that won't have boats in them until July 1 so I plan to practice. fair bit this weekend. Fenders were only on the boat as the dealer was launching it to tie it immediately to the dock and go through the systems and controls. :)
Just pulling your chain.

Enjoy the boat. You'll get good at handling it.

Just remember when docking:
-Neutral is your friend
-Don't come in any faster than your willing to hit the dock
-Easiest way to move the aft of the boat it to turn the wheel the direction you want the aft to move, and put it in reverse.

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:19 pm
by AsLan7
Looking good br99!

...and hey, you passed the drain plug test as I see your bulge pump didn’t automatically come on. Nice first launch & ride/drive 👍🏻

.

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:35 pm
by Bfun220
Driller wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:13 pm Just remember when docking:
-Neutral is your friend
-Don't come in any faster than your willing to hit the dock
-Easiest way to move the aft of the boat it to turn the wheel the direction you want the aft to move, and put it in reverse.

Good advise right here.

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:00 pm
by BobRae99
Bfun220 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:35 pm
Driller wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:13 pm Just remember when docking:
-Neutral is your friend
-Don't come in any faster than your willing to hit the dock
-Easiest way to move the aft of the boat it to turn the wheel the direction you want the aft to move, and put it in reverse.

Good advise right here.
Its funny, I have have less than zero knowledge about maneuvering a boat - my experience is with Sea Doos. I did my first approach into the slip from parallel to the opposite dock and made a slow left turn under power and switched to neutral. I was on a slow collision course with the end of the plastic finger dock. The dealer took over and backed the boat out and a distance back and then lined up the boat just behind the boats moored on the same side as where my boat was to go and said to keep closer to the sterns of those boats and then make a left turn under power into the slip. The approach was much better and I cut power once i'd made the turn (a bit difficult to describe). He still had to hop off onto the dock and fend the boat off. What he said was "everyone thinks the best approach is to coast to the dock, but in fact you need to be under power to control the direction of the boat. So, I'm a bit lost on what the correct method is.

I have a friend who is going to practice with me on the weekend. Thanks for everyones help and suggestions.

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:13 pm
by NautiGirl
There's an art to it and you will get to know your boat and how she responds. Your dealer is right about needing to be in gear but you don't STAY in gear the entire time. Bump it in gear then right back to neutral... Maybe you even need to hit reverse for a second. Practice in open water just to get the feel for the throttle and how she responds with steering and speed before you rush back to the slip. You got this!

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:22 pm
by AsLan7
BobRae99 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:00 pm
Bfun220 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:35 pm
Driller wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:13 pm Just remember when docking:
-Neutral is your friend
-Don't come in any faster than your willing to hit the dock
-Easiest way to move the aft of the boat it to turn the wheel the direction you want the aft to move, and put it in reverse.

Good advise right here.
Its funny, I have have less than zero knowledge about maneuvering a boat - my experience is with Sea Doos. I did my first approach into the slip from parallel to the opposite dock and made a slow left turn under power and switched to neutral. I was on a slow collision course with the end of the plastic finger dock. The dealer took over and backed the boat out and a distance back and then lined up the boat just behind the boats moored on the same side as where my boat was to go and said to keep closer to the sterns of those boats and then make a left turn under power into the slip. The approach was much better and I cut power once i'd made the turn (a bit difficult to describe). He still had to hop off onto the dock and fend the boat off. What he said was "everyone thinks the best approach is to coast to the dock, but in fact you need to be under power to control the direction of the boat. So, I'm a bit lost on what the correct method is.

I have a friend who is going to practice with me on the weekend. Thanks for everyones help and suggestions.
.

Practice makes perfect, BR99. Learn the nuances of your boat on a weekday with less crowds (& less pressure). Practice putting her in and out of gear.
If you have a buoy out on the water, they make great practice pieces.

In regards to basic docking, may I suggest the methods below. It may help.

1. Preparation—before I come in to dock, I hang my fenders on the side with which we plan to dock. I also have my 2 lines ready.

2. Observation—then as we get closer, I observe what direction the wind is and what it will do to me by looking at trees, flags, tell tales, etc. Basically do I have a headwind or tailwind with the docking spot I’m observing.

3. Destination—I point our bow at the center of where we want to dock & then, shifting in and out of gear to move forward slowly, I use the four steps in the boat US video below to dock.

It will become second nature after awhile. You may modify your approaches slightly if you have a slip. Then you can move on to more advanced docking techniques as you get better (utilizing spring lines, tighter locations, heavier winds, etc. )

The key is to prepare and then execute your approach slowly by bumping yourself in and out of gear. ...and never yell at anyone while at the same time reminding them to keep their hands and feet inside the boat until it is safe to disembark. Enjoy!

.



.

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:33 pm
by NautiGirl
Is that a Chevy Colorado towing the boat? Damn nice trucks, don't worry if you upgrade to a larger cobalt, that colorado would totally tow a 222.

Sorry inside Nauti household joke.

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:09 pm
by cmattj
Wow that is a beauty.

Nice refresher reading this thread. I was nervous when I saw the launch ramp with no side tie dock. And no trailer guide poles.

Stay away from that down the road!

Yes.. and allow yourself to be anxious!! Next time with out the dealer in the boat hovering you'll be fine.

Seat time.. seat time! Looking forward to more pics!

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:17 pm
by cmattj
NautiGirl wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:33 pm Is that a Chevy Colorado towing the boat? Damn nice trucks, don't worry if you upgrade to a larger cobalt, that colorado would totally tow a 222.

Sorry inside Nauti household joke.
Yep." It will be fine" oh you wanted to stop??

I've learned on this site most are fearless in the tow vehicle selection..

But I'm glad your scaling back to the 2018 Colorado with the Duramax.. I'll get you the brochure :D

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:51 pm
by BobRae99
NautiGirl wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:13 pm There's an art to it and you will get to know your boat and how she responds. Your dealer is right about needing to be in gear but you don't STAY in gear the entire time. Bump it in gear then right back to neutral... Maybe you even need to hit reverse for a second. Practice in open water just to get the feel for the throttle and how she responds with steering and speed before you rush back to the slip. You got this!
This weekend if it is calm on the lake, I was planning on dropping a weight with a ball attached to a rope and then try and manoeuvre around it. I need to understand what the bow and stern do when I have the wheel to the right or left, forward or reverse. I agree its best to do this in open water and away from the stresses of fixed objects and eyes in the marina.