Page 1 of 1
Engine oil leak
Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:06 am
by tarachanowicz
I have a 14 220 with a 5.0. I have a engine oil leak which appears to be from front area of engine. After about 1 hour of running under way 3000-4000 rpm i get a puddle in the bilge about 1/4 qt. Appears to hit the accessory drive belt and sling it on the wall and flat of the port and starboard flat ledge. Also on the engine hatch lid. It only leaks when under way you can run in neutral and no leak. Dealer thought I was nuts when I brought it in and ran it with no leaks. They had to lake test it to get it to leak. They thought it was the crank sensor and replaced it with no luck. Been 1 week now and still no luck. Any ideas we ran the boat for the first time after they winterized it and than got it running for the summer. At least they gave me a 18 220 as a loaner for last weekend and this weekend. If it's something major I threw out a commented to them it would be nice if cobalt would empower it with a 5.3 assembly either 300 or 350 hp. Wow what a difference in throttle response and power with the loaner they gave me
Re: Engine oil leak
Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:13 am
by cmattj
tarachanowicz wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:06 am
I have a 14 220 with a 5.0. I have a engine oil leak which appears to be from front area of engine. After about 1 hour of running under way 3000-4000 rpm i get a puddle in the bilge about 1/4 qt. Appears to hit the accessory drive belt and sling it on the wall and flat of the port and starboard flat ledge. Also on the engine hatch lid. It only leaks when under way you can run in neutral and no leak. Dealer thought I was nuts when I brought it in and ran it with no leaks. They had to lake test it to get it to leak. They thought it was the crank sensor and replaced it with no luck. Been 1 week now and still no luck. Any ideas we ran the boat for the first time after they winterized it and than got it running for the summer. At least they gave me a 18 220 as a loaner for last weekend and this weekend. If it's something major I threw out a commented to them it would be nice if cobalt would empower it with a 5.3 assembly either 300 or 350 hp. Wow what a difference in throttle response and power with the loaner they gave me
Tara..
Looks like the Dealer is taking the steps to find and fix the issue.
We have leaks that require adding dye to the oil to find the location or " source" of the leak. We can run it and quickly see the seepage or leak quickly.
That needs to be pinpointed due to as you noticed spray and it seems to be a mess when visually inspecting.
I'm sure that's the steps there taking ( you may ask them if they are running it with dye) and it will be easy to find .
Sounds like they took good care of you with a 2018 loaner..
That dealer would have my bizz.. keep us posted
Re: Engine oil leak
Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:03 am
by thunder550
I'd think the likely place would be one of the remote oil filter lines. Who knows though. Interested to see what they find. I can't see any possibility of a leak leading to a full repower though.
Re: Engine oil leak
Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:15 am
by tarachanowicz
I know repower unlikely. But every year since new something screwy has happened. Couldn't take delivery from on water test due to engine miss and bad spark knock when cruising at 2000 rpm found engine timing way off. The second year were out on lake michigan 10 miles from port and hit a wave complete boat went dead. Ignition circuit breaker would blow. Had to get towed back. Found wire from ign breaker rub through on top of steering column. Also first year the trailer bunks screws aren't recessed below surface so they rubbed through gel coat they had to get just about complete bottom of boat. The dealer is awesome and bends over backward for us just disappointed some with the brand. Especially after all the good things said about the brand.
Re: Engine oil leak
Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:59 am
by thunder550
Wow, those are some ridiculous quality issues. I'm surprised, especially on something so new.
Re: Engine oil leak
Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:57 pm
by tarachanowicz
Update on oil leak dealer says it is front crank seal. They say front timing cover needs to come off in order to replace seal. And in order for front cover to come off the oil pan needs to come off. To me looks like engine needs removed to remove oil pan? From what I can recall the front crank/balancer seal can be removed from a small block Chevy without removing front cover.
Re: Engine oil leak
Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:25 pm
by cmattj
It may be they want to reseal the cover as well as the crankshaft seal to insure they have it all. If so, then yes the pan has to come off. Easy deal. (ask A7 as he pulls his engine just to change oil).. not really
Sorry to hear about your past troubles. But as long as these issues have only occurred once, and never revisited after, I think you'll be fine down the road.
I like that they make great provisions for you in the meantime.... as they should.!
Re: Engine oil leak
Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:49 pm
by tarachanowicz
Just got a surprising call from the dealer at 8:45 p.m. they are putting a front cover assembly on and not just the seal for the crank because the seal spun inside the cover and worked its way towards the pulley leaving a Groove in the plastic cover they will have to pull the motor and remove the oil pan also to do the front cover at least they are pulling the motor when they do the pan to make sure it's seals up all the way and I don't have a surprise after using it a couple of times with oil dripping they said Volvo Penta wanted to just put a seal in it
Re: Engine oil leak
Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:14 am
by Big Block Power
Motor is out now time for the upgrade. Cheaper than a new boat. Good luck.
Re: Engine oil leak
Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:01 am
by tarachanowicz
Yah wish I would have waited till the 5.3 or 6.2 was available with the closed cooling system was available before purchasing. With all the new technology would have been worth waiting.
Re: Engine oil leak
Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:39 pm
by tarachanowicz
Finally got boat back and oil leak repaired. Only thing I'm not happy with is the dealer did not clean the oil from the bilge I had to do it. Runs strong and no more oil leak.
Re: Engine oil leak
Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:42 pm
by Big Block Power
Yea some of them just don't get it. Congrats on getting it back.
Re: Engine oil leak
Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:14 pm
by AsLan7
tarachanowicz wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:39 pm
Finally got boat back and oil leak repaired. Only thing I'm not happy with is the dealer did not clean the oil from the bilge I had to do it. Runs strong and no more oil leak.
Great to hear tz.
Now that YOU’VE cleaned the bilge, I bet you could eat off of it.

Re: Engine oil leak
Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:21 pm
by cmattj
Well at least it's done and you can enjoy. Disappointed on the delivery they gave you considering it was there for a "oil leak"

. Ok I'm better and happy they got in done in short time