Page 1 of 1
Volvo IPS Drives
Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:27 pm
by vans
Stopped by my buddies shop today and they are building a robot to handle these prop castings for machining, duo props and big
819F88B3-4B33-49A5-88FA-BDC67EB44FA6.jpeg
https://www.deepblueyachtsupply.com/vol ... orderBy=15
Re: Volvo IPS Drives
Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:43 pm
by thunder550
That's freakin awesome! Those props are so tiny
I had to google Volvo IPS, for anyone else who is wondering...they are pod drives.

Re: Volvo IPS Drives
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:04 am
by AsLan7
.
Cool pic vans.
Yes, IPS drives can rotate 360 using joystick controls. They paved the way for the Volvo duo prop forward drives that are popular with the wake surf crowds.
.
Re: Volvo IPS Drives
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:47 am
by Ytmsn
Wow. What are the IPS drives used on? That looks like a 4 cylinder engine. I'm just wondering why you'd need two 4 banger twin drives as opposed to a V8 single? I'm sure it has something to do with maneuverability? Interesting
Re: Volvo IPS Drives
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:13 am
by mtwbldr
Larger vessels and yachts use IPS. All the engine options are diesels
Re: Volvo IPS Drives
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:59 am
by Bfun220
It also works with Volvo Penta Dynamic Positioning System.
https://youtu.be/GlgpM1PyqPw
Re: Volvo IPS Drives
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:40 am
by Ytmsn
Ohhhh. Gotcha. That's pretty cool. I wondered how that joystick worked but I guess not enough to investigate any further than going "hmmm". Now it makes sense
Re: Volvo IPS Drives
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:52 pm
by Big Block Power
Ytmsn wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:47 am
Wow. What are the IPS drives used on? That looks like a 4 cylinder engine. I'm just wondering why you'd need two 4 banger twin drives as opposed to a V8 single? I'm sure it has something to do with maneuverability? Interesting
That's a big diesel YT.
Re: Volvo IPS Drives
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:42 pm
by Ytmsn
Right. I see that now. Thanks Mr Goodwench

Re: Volvo IPS Drives
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:27 pm
by Big Block Power
Ytmsn wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:42 pm
Right. I see that now. Thanks Mr Goodwench
Opps sorry. I thought the green paint was a dead giveaway. Lol
Captain not so Obvious.