Page 1 of 1

Getting the cushions off a 190

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:13 pm
by partylikeits1999
New user. Made an account today just so I could ask my question. Does anyone have any experience removing the cushions and sidepanels from a 190? I'm trying to add a waketower, and I swear it looks like to get the port sidepanel off, I have to remove the entire L-shaped cushioned seating. And to get to the front starboard location, I have to remove EVERYTHING on that side. Any tips/tricks would be appreciated. I feel there must be a few that are easy to get off or something, which would then allow easier access to others, because I'm having a seriously hard time locating/reaching bolts with my hands. I can't imagine somehow using a wrench too!

BTW, the decision has been made. We're adding a tower. We've owned the boat for 9 years and love it. But there is no storage for wakeboards, and the current towhook is too low. Not trying to turn a Cobalt into something its not. Just trying to add function.

Re: Getting the cushions off a 190

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:47 pm
by AsLan7
.
Hey partylikeits1999, welcome to the CobaltChat forum. So glad you found us!

Great to hear you’re adding a wake tower to your 190. We just had another owner add a fiberglass arch to his 262.

Getting the side cushions off can be a real bear on the 260 series. Another thread talks about that with pics. Not sure if the 190 is the same. Bigblockpower will chime in on that.

Again, welcome aboard mate!
.

Re: Getting the cushions off a 190

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:38 pm
by Ytmsn
Welcome Party! Side panels can be a booger bear unless you can reach up in there and get the top bolts. They have fender washer, big washer, lock washer and nut, all stainless. On my 240 I was able to snake up inside the hull behind the seats to get to them. But it wasn't fun. I don't know if you have that much room on a 190. Liquid might know because he owns one

Re: Getting the cushions off a 190

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:27 pm
by Big Block Power
Welcome and did I hear you were posting pictures? That will help me. I've never tore into a 190 but can't you get up in the gunnel without taking the cushions off? I know stupid question. I have nothing against towers I have one that likes garages. There I warned you.
So if no access you have no choice but to find a 4 year old and stuff him or her behind the cushions to get at the screws. It might be easier to split the top side of the boat at the rub rail and install it and then drop it back on the bottom half. Just a thought. Liquid,Nauti help :-) :-) :-) :-)

Re: Getting the cushions off a 190

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:16 pm
by NautiGirl
Well I can't offer much help but if memory serves you need magic or something lol

But I assuming you have a similar layout, this is our previous 97 190 so maybe these pics will help out

Re: Getting the cushions off a 190

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:20 pm
by NautiGirl
Some more pics

Re: Getting the cushions off a 190

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:44 pm
by Big Block Power
Katie you sure let it go to heck :-)
She's purdy :-)
Your going to have go from behind the bow seat if that lifts up and remove the backward seat back. Remove that speaker and reach your really long arms up and remove that side trim panel.maybe even go up through the cup holders.

Re: Getting the cushions off a 190

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:28 am
by NautiGirl
Bow seat doesn't lift up and there is a deep glove box under the windshield that doesn't allow access either. And under that side seating is a cooler that is enclosed as well....really only the speaker openings are the only way to get access. Could those side pieces possibly be held on my some type of clip that you just have to break off and replace?

Like I said, you need magic!

Re: Getting the cushions off a 190

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:56 pm
by Big Block Power
No they won't clip in. They put these things together in halves. Sounds like your going to be out of luck. If you find a way let us know.
Just tell me you have a v8 in that bad boy.

Re: Getting the cushions off a 190

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:31 pm
by liquid
Tower on a 190... might as well put on a big 'ol swimstep too.

Re: Getting the cushions off a 190

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:47 pm
by Ytmsn
It would be easier to buy a bigger boat with a tower already on it. Or find someone with the 360 that wants to get rid of theirs!

Besides if he's had it for 9 years he's due for an upgrade.
And... this oneser post was from back in April. Partypartyparty

Re: Getting the cushions off a 190

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:44 pm
by Big Block Power
Theirs a Unicorn so for sale in Chicago area too🦄

Re: Getting the cushions off a 190

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:55 pm
by TexasCruzer
Party,
Did you get your tower installed? I am looking to do the same on a 96 190. I would love to hear if you were successful and how you like it if you were.

Re: Getting the cushions off a 190

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:57 am
by Ratherbeinbimini
Old thread but figured I would share my input for the next person that digs this up. In the engine bay there are side panels that cover the gap between the hull liner and the exterior hull if you remove this panel you can reach in a good ways into that area, maybe not enough to get to your mounting location but you could at least see how the side panels are mounted