Page 1 of 1

RAM mounts

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:55 pm
by jhnmdahl
So I have this Garmin Echomap 70s I have yet to find a way to mount in my boat, when I learned about Ram Mounts on another thread. I used their tool to show me what parts were compatible with the Echomap 70S, and ordered a ram-111u.

It showed up yesterday, and the flange was too small for the swivel mount for the Garmin- none of the pre-drilled holes lined up, and there was no way to drill holes in the flange that would line up with the Garmin part unless the Ram part was maybe an inch longer. I called Ram support, and after looking into it they said it's the one that's recommended for my device but that it may still need some holes drilled and other modifications to make fit.

Not a huge deal, but they should warn you of this in the "fitment guide."

Anyway, off to buy some JB weld to fill in gaps in the hollow-bottomed Garmin swivel mount for a more solid connection, and trim down the Ram part with a hacksaw to fit in the recess in the bottom of the Garmin swivel mount. I'll pop a photo up when it's MacGyvered into shape...

Re: RAM mounts

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:32 pm
by Ytmsn
John I don't remember if I posted this or not. I'm getting old and tend to repeat myself sometimes! 😊
I've ordered it already so I hope it works. It's a double sucker that mounts on the windscreen
Screenshot_20180408-171443.png

Re: RAM mounts

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:39 pm
by Ytmsn
And you may need to order one of these. They're pretty universal with several holes to choose from. It bolts to the mount and another one to the device, with an arm in between.
Screenshot_20180412-173647.png

Re: RAM mounts

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:14 pm
by jhnmdahl
Yeah, I've got the ball part already. It's nice that the parts are interchangeable, so I can get a longer core, suction mount, etc. if I want and re-use whatever other parts are there. I thought about the windshield suction mount, but if the setup I bought works I may get their security bolts/handles you need the special tool to unmount, just to make it that much harder to walk away with it.

John

Re: RAM mounts

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:18 pm
by jhnmdahl
OK, I've managed to mount the Garmin mount to the Ram flange - cut the sides of the Ram flange so it fit in a recess in the Garmin mount, and filled the hollow base of the Garmin mount with JB Weld around where I planned to drill 1/4" holes. Bonus - pics also show the 5" of April snow we've had so far today.
IMG_2506.JPG
IMG_2505.JPG

Re: RAM mounts

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:11 pm
by klennop
I have a ton of RAM mounts from my motorcycles. The only thing you have to watch for is the ball/socket size when you are ordering. You can find a mount or arm that works for everything!