Page 1 of 1

`77 888 dead

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:25 pm
by sfoster
Yep,
Got the bad news today. 2 cylinders little to no compression. The other 4 low. 765hrs I guess might be the life expectancy of a 302 in a marine application. Not really keen on putting the money in to repowering this old tub.
Don't know if the out drive will hold up to factory+ power or not :oops:

Re: `77 888 dead

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:05 am
by jhnmdahl
Sorry to hear it. Seems like marine engines just sit around for a good part of their lives, which can be as hard on them as the hours they do run. I know they say "boat" stands for "bust out another thousand", but this is still one of those days you hope never comes...

Re: `77 888 dead

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:29 pm
by sfoster
Im afraid we are going to cut our losses and move on.
We're going to try and sell it for what we can.
With a bad engine it won't be much. But we need more space and some thing to fish off of.
Looking at a pontoon boat now.

Re: `77 888 dead

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:36 am
by liquid
Sorry to hear that. Good luck finding something that is reliable.

Re: `77 888 dead

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:37 pm
by sfoster
Thank you.
Im going to direct the new owner of the cobalt to this forum. I hope that this place grows and thrives.

I've enjoyed it.

Re: `77 888 dead

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:53 pm
by jhnmdahl
Thanks, SFoster. It's the forum's first year, but I hope it'll be a good resource and community for Cobalt owners for years to come.

John