Page 4 of 5
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:37 pm
by akorcovelos
Homeskillet wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:35 pm
How much vibration would I feel? Would it be like when the springs went out on Clark and Hellen’s bed in Vacation???
No, but it would stumble pretty good, probably be hard to start. That’s a text book result of a severe overheat though.
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:49 pm
by Homeskillet
Pretty much starts right up (not at the bump of the key but it’s never not started). Comes out of the hole smooth and easy, fairly quick if I giver.
Also I have never noticed my temp gauge reading high. Don’t think I’ve ever hit the rev limiter with this engine. Whipple tuned my Verado a few years ago and I bumped it a few times with that one lol. THAT was a fast motor!!
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:52 pm
by AsLan7
Homeskillet wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:49 pm
Pretty much a tarts right up (not at the bump of the key but it’s never not started). Comes out of the hole smooth and easy, fairly quick if I giver.
Also I have never noticed my temp gauge reading high. Don’t think I’ve ever hit the rev limiter with this engine. Whipple tunes my Verado a few years ago and I bumped it a few times with that one lol. THAT was a fast motor!!
.
I see you’ve been taking typing lessons from bbp.
.
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:53 pm
by Homeskillet
I need new readers lol
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:17 am
by Homeskillet
I am going to go get it this am. If really think whatever is wrong (assuming something actually IS wrong) has been wrong all year. I am going to roll the dice a little bit. If she blows, and I need a whole new engine, I'll get twin 454's
Hopefully he hasn't started tearing it apart. If he has, I may be stuck.
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:19 am
by Homeskillet
Homeskillet wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:17 am
I am going to go get it this am. If really think whatever is wrong (assuming something actually IS wrong) has been wrong all year. I am going to roll the dice a little bit. If she blows, and I need a whole new engine, I'll get twin 454's
Hopefully he hasn't started tearing it apart. I will run it on the hose with video, and post it. If he has, I may be stuck. I'm thinking I should just show up this am without calling first.
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:20 am
by Homeskillet
I am going to go get it this am. I really think whatever is wrong (assuming something actually IS wrong) has been wrong all year. I am going to roll the dice a little bit. If she blows, and I need a whole new engine, I'll get twin 454's
Hopefully he hasn't started tearing it apart. I will run it on the hose with video, and post it. If he has, I may be stuck. I'm thinking I should just show up this am without calling first.
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:15 am
by Big Block Power
Homeskillet wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:53 pm
I need new readers lol
And a new submit button


Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:47 am
by Homeskillet
Oh my goodness I'm so sorry lol!!!
The other thing he said when it was running on the hose is that it's "really hard to hear" (meaning really hard to hear that 4 and 6 are out). Is it?
My wife wants me to call Merc and talk to someone there about it. She also wants me to pull it to another dealer for a 2nd opinion. This is a mess. I wish I would have just brought it home after listening to it at the shop
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:47 am
by akorcovelos
I’m with your Wife on getting a second opinion. Unfortunately I believe him the head gasket is blown, though I also have a sneaking suspicion he may have caused it by over heating it.
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:38 am
by Homeskillet
What makes you say you think he is responsible for over heating the head gasket? Is that common to have that happen on the hose? If that head gasket is gone due to heat, that's a huge problem because I put a new water pump in this Spring, too.
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:10 pm
by Homeskillet
Buddy of mine who used to work at the Chevy dealership said that an engine with 30 psi in two of it's 8 cylinders might still feel "balanced" because the pistons would still be moving??? He did say, "I'm not sure if it's different with boat engines or not."
Dave from Twin Lakes Marine (where I used to take my stuff) said that if the head gasket was blown, I'll need to figure out "why" in blew. Or it's just going to blow again. Then he went on to say the new 4 strokes from Merc are kick-ass and I should buy a pontoon. I told him his stock just went down.
What is it with everyone thinking a pontoon is the answer lol!!! I get that the motors are outboards and often cheaper to work on, etc. I've owned several. And if you get a toon that you can ski and tube behind, besides looking like a total tool yanking a tuber, they're super expensive too to get a good one!! I cannot tell you how much I HATE toons. If someone said the only way I'm getting on the water is with a pontoon, I'm sticking that money into a Victory Vision instead!
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:58 pm
by Big Block Power
I'm sorry you know when you drop 2 cylinders. Heck I can feel 1 cyl. Go drive a new car with cyl delete. You can feel it.
Did this engine ever get hot?
Sorry I'm believe him once he does the compression test in front of me. If you have both at 30 then I'm good with it and that had needs to come off.
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:17 pm
by cmattj
Homeskillet wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:10 pm
I cannot tell you how much I HATE toons.
I think you covered it!
Big Block Power wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:58 pm
I'm sorry you know when you drop 2 cylinders. Heck I can feel 1 cyl. Go drive a new car with cyl delete. You can feel it.
Did this engine ever get hot?
Sorry I'm believe him once he does the compression test in front of me. If you have both at 30 then I'm good with it and that had needs to come off.
Yes

Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:02 pm
by Homeskillet
Supposed to be getting my 220 back tomorrow. He put two new heads on it. Hoping it's not too expensive. Everyone says, "Don't sell it. It should be perfect now." But I'm pretty soured. Pretty good chance it'll get listed shortly.