Page 4 of 5

Re: Getting the boat ready for this summer list.

Posted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:12 pm
by Driller
Really nice shine

Re: Getting the boat ready for this summer list.

Posted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:59 pm
by NautiGirl
You've got her ready to go!

Re: Getting the boat ready for this summer list.

Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:45 am
by Tuscany
My list is short, and I’ve finally had the time to do it.
My main concern is always battery health. Cobalt uses Interstate batts, so that is a plus.
My only fear at launch is dead batteries. They have been on the factory tenders all winter, so I’m doing my part.
Pulled them out today, brushed posts and clamps, which one ground was a little dirty, filled them back up with water and reinstalled.

Flushed out fresh water tank a few times. Added a touch of chlorine, refilled with fresh water.
Dumped some blue stuff in the head holding tank.
Gave the trailer a shot of grease, and going to fill up the gas tank later today.

Still have some warranty work left for next week sometime. The main Bimini support wasn’t adjusted correctly when the dealer installed the folding sliders. The Bimini doesn’t tighten up completely when deployed. Rivets have to be removed and the main support clamps need to be moved an inch. My dealer has a new part coming so the old holes won’t be an issue. They should have caught that one before it left last fall. If I knew this hassle was going to happen, I would have ordered the folding tower and dealt with it as a higher price Bimini frame.
New speaker covers are coming since the current ones developed wrinkles. And a new rear carpet is coming because of a weird strip in it. I never noticed it, but my dealer did.

Trust me guys, Cobalt can be cheap when it comes to replacing parts. Not impressed..
They wanted my dealer to restretch the speaker covers, and use the same Bimini support and leave open holes.
My dealer knows me, and knows not to even ask that question, so they knew what to do.
I’m ready to go. Yesterday would have been a perfect day.. After the season in our garden center wrapped up, we all stayed home and slept the afternoon away. 32 straight days. Pneumonia for me, bronchitis for my wife, and thank God my son was a trooper. I think the dog issue just killed my wife and I, and that’s how we got sick.

Looking for open water, maybe tomorrow🤪!

Re: Getting the boat ready for this summer list.

Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:56 am
by Ytmsn
Good for you Tuscany! Remember, pictures or it never happened

Re: Getting the boat ready for this summer list.

Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:31 pm
by NautiGirl
Get out and enjoy Tusc!

Re: Getting the boat ready for this summer list.

Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:07 pm
by Driller
Tuscany wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:45 am
My main concern is always battery health. Cobalt uses Interstate batts, so that is a plus.
Pulled them out today, brushed posts and clamps, which one ground was a little dirty, filled them back up with water and reinstalled.
T have you seen the watering system I hooked up to my interstates. It only takes about 1 minute / battery. I top mine off once a month during the summer and put them on the charger after every run.

PS. Only fill a battery with water when it is fully charged.

Re: Getting the boat ready for this summer list.

Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:09 pm
by thunder550
That's the bee's knees Driller, where'd you get it?

Re: Getting the boat ready for this summer list.

Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:21 pm
by Driller
thunder550 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 3:09 pm That's the bee's knees Driller, where'd you get it?
RVUpgrades.com I bought 2 single battery sets as my batteries are on opposite sides of the boat. You'll need the hand pump also.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Single-B ... 5-8755.htm

One of my batteries is under the gunwale and was a real pain to fill. I had to climb into the bilge with a bottle of distilled water, a flashlight, and a mirror. What a pain, not anymore. The nice thing about it is that you can't over fill. The float valves shut off when the battery is at the correct level.

I have a similar system for my golf cart with all 4 batteries tied into a single system. Works great. It's where I got the idea.

Re: Getting the boat ready for this summer list.

Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:52 pm
by NautiGirl
You so fancy, Driller. And you juts have Thunder something else to do, excellent work!

Re: Getting the boat ready for this summer list.

Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:08 pm
by Driller
NautiGirl wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 3:52 pm You so fancy, Driller. And you juts have Thunder something else to do, excellent work!
Lazy, old, and fat. It is just easier for me.

I like to keep all my batteries watered every month (cars don't count). It makes them last a lot longer. I just got 9 years out of my golf cart batteries. I think keeping them watered correctly and fully charged was the key.

Setup cost $109.77 all in including shipping. Already paid for itself with the time it saves.

Re: Getting the boat ready for this summer list.

Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:21 pm
by Tuscany
Driller wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 4:08 pm
NautiGirl wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 3:52 pm You so fancy, Driller. And you juts have Thunder something else to do, excellent work!
Lazy, old, and fat. It is just easier for me.


That describes me brother! You should have seen the sweat I worked up doing a little maintenance🤣🤣.
I’m liking your idea!

Re: Getting the boat ready for this summer list.

Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:25 pm
by Big Block Power
Nice set up driller. Why do they put red plug on the beehive thing ? Can you put jumper cables on it.
Also make sure you put a rubber cap on that extra positive lead on your battery. The coast guard busted me on that. Plus if you dropped a screwdriver across it, won't be pretty.
Nice set up though.

Re: Getting the boat ready for this summer list.

Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:07 pm
by Driller
Big Block Power wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:25 pm Nice set up driller. Why do they put red plug on the beehive thing ? Can you put jumper cables on it.
Also make sure you put a rubber cap on that extra positive lead on your battery. The coast guard busted me on that. Plus if you dropped a screwdriver across it, won't be pretty.
Nice set up though.
The red plug can be removed so that you can tie multiple batteries together and fill them all at once. In my case the second battery is on the other side of the boat and it is not recommended to run that long a line between them. If they were side by side it works fine. You can just daisy chain all the battery fills together.

I keep all the leads covered, but have just installed the watering system and had them moved, but thanks for the reminder.

Re: Getting the boat ready for this summer list.

Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:24 pm
by Big Block Power
Driller wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 3:07 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:25 pm Nice set up driller. Why do they put red plug on the beehive thing ? Can you put jumper cables on it.
Also make sure you put a rubber cap on that extra positive lead on your battery. The coast guard busted me on that. Plus if you dropped a screwdriver across it, won't be pretty.
Nice set up though.
The red plug can be removed so that you can tie multiple batteries together and fill them all at once. In my case the second battery is on the other side of the boat and it is not recommended to run that long a line between them. If they were side by side it works fine. You can just daisy chain all the battery fills together.

I keep all the leads covered, but have just installed the watering system and had them moved, but thanks for the reminder.
Very interesting. I guess I haven't had a battery that needed water in one in a long time.

Re: Getting the boat ready for this summer list.

Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:14 pm
by Driller
[quote="Big Block Power" post_id=28735 time=1527809065

Very interesting. I guess I haven't had a battery that needed water in one in a long time.
[/quote]

If you don’t check them they will never need any water. I’ll add 1/2 to 1 gallon to my 2 batteries during the season. Some of that is due to my fully charging them after every run, and part is due to the Texas heat. We’re supposed to hit 100 degrees tomorrow, likely will see ~107 in July / August, and it won’t cool down to mid Sept.