Page 29 of 65
Re: Let's see your Tow rigs with your boat!
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:24 am
by Tuscany
Small diesels, and large diesels seem very doggy from the start. If you examine EGR emission technology, you can totally understand why instant horsepower power sucks, and that it's not the engines fault..
In short, EGR is "E"xhaust "G"as being "R"ecirculated directly back into the air intake to cut back the NOx emission by killing power making oxygen. It does cut NOx, but it's very archaic. The engine is basically choking on its own exhaust.
As SCR technology moves forward, EGR can be replaced by increased DEF aftertreatment. Oxygen returns, and so does horsepower.
Hell, delete all of it, and you get the 1,200 ft lbs of torque and mid 20 MPG I had in my last 8,000 lb. truck.
I'd give it a few more years of refinement and improvement, and Federal easing, and I think we will see a small diesel powering mid sized SUVs, and hopefully boats..
Re: Let's see your Tow rigs with your boat!
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:16 am
by nolaboater99
I Europe small diesels are the norm in cars. And while they used to be noisy and stinky, they are no longer either.
The 6.0 Power Stroke, the much maligned Ford diesel, is now being re-evaluated and actually making a resurgence. The norm is to "Bullet-Proof" one and they are great motors but many feel the head bolt/studs were the issue and in reality the EGR system is the culprit. The 6.0 does have fewer head bolts per cylinder than other diesels this size and that, along with soft bolt/studs has always been thought to be the issue. But when the EGR system fails, and it will, it increases cylinder pressure stretching the bolts and causing head gasket failure. The head bolts are designed to be a single use bolt and to stretch within limits when installed to the proper torque. Updating and maintaining the EGR system is the key to keeping this motor running. They have great power and gobs of torque with decent fuel economy. On my trip to Guntersville, AL recently I averaged 18.8 MPG.
Hard to find a lower mileage one now but they're out there.
Re: Let's see your Tow rigs with your boat!
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:06 pm
by Tuscany
More diesel brothers


!
The 6.0L. I had one of the very first ones in my 2003 Lariat LE. Not a lick of problems. It was tuned with a 165 Quadzilla, and how I never blew the heads off is a mystery.

.
By all accounts, I should have been the one to blow them through the hood.
IMO, and supported by most diesel performance magazines, The best powerstroke ever built was the Navistar 6.4L. Of course that is up for debate, but that engine built on the 6.0L Block and I had a hard time trading in that much power.
It came straight off the Navistar line in Indiana with stock parts that were MADE to support performance. Huge rail volume, compound turbos that could run a consistent and safe 50 lbs of boost, injectors that could flow enough to run a tank, a lift pump that could feed it all, and heads that flowed pretty well and very manageable EGTs. An easy 750-800 horses with a simple tuner, DPF delete and 5” turbo back and an intake.
The transmission handling that power..

.. not the best..
Ofcourse untuned, it was the perfect example of how 100% EGR emissions absolutely killed performance and longevedy.
Re: Let's see your Tow rigs with your boat!
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:37 pm
by Alaskabound
Nauti, I totally agree on the weight capacity. I was shopping for a diesel a few years ago to pull a 5th wheel. I realized quickly that I would need to go to a 350 to handle the tongue weight. The single rear wheel was what I wanted as a duelly just seemed too wide. Even with a SRW 350, you had to be careful or you could overload with a good size 5th wheel. In the end, when I added up the cost for a new 5th wheel plus a new diesel, I decided to go the motorhome route. But I sure did love those 350 and 3500 diesels.
Dub
Re: Let's see your Tow rigs with your boat!
Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:59 pm
by rrfisher
liquid wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:31 pm
Shots of the new rig yanking Queenie
Curious how your Burb pulls?
I typically pull our 206 with my tuned ecoboost so maybe it's just a totally different world, but this past week we had some distance to drive so I chose the comfort of our Yukon XL and man it was a turd. It's been about a year since I pulled with it and I'm really trying to figure out if something is wrong with it. We were fully loaded, truck and boat, so maybe 6000 lbs worth of junk and bodies. I can't remember the gear ratio, but I know it's not set up to pull very often, but come on, 6000 lbs shouldn't keep me from reaching 75 mph on a flat highway.
Anyway, saw a new Expedition EL with the ecoboost and it is slick, that might be her next ride.
Re: Let's see your Tow rigs with your boat!
Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:16 pm
by Big Block Power
rrfisher wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:59 pm
liquid wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:31 pm
Shots of the new rig yanking Queenie
Curious how your Burb pulls?
I typically pull our 206 with my tuned ecoboost so maybe it's just a totally different world, but this past week we had some distance to drive so I chose the comfort of our Yukon XL and man it was a turd. It's been about a year since I pulled with it and I'm really trying to figure out if something is wrong with it. We were fully loaded, truck and boat, so maybe 6000 lbs worth of junk and bodies. I can't remember the gear ratio, but I know it's not set up to pull very often, but come on, 6000 lbs shouldn't keep me from reaching 75 mph on a flat highway.
Anyway, saw a new Expedition EL with the ecoboost and it is slick, that might be her next ride.
What engine is in it. The 5.3 in my burb does ok. I'll tow 80 with mine. The 6.2 in the Escalade pulled way better though.
Re: Let's see your Tow rigs with your boat!
Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:40 pm
by rrfisher
It's the 5.3 with, i think, the 3.08 gears. I had her Yukon in for some work and they gave me a Denali truck and, man, I wish hers had that 6.2.
Re: Let's see your Tow rigs with your boat!
Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:20 pm
by Big Block Power
Yea that great ratio is wrong. Min should have 3.42 would be better 3.73
Yea the 6.2 is so much better. I love our sub but miss the 6.2. We hated the Escalade. It was just that truck. But this one isn't going anywhere anytime soon unless I get a bug up my butt to go get sailors boat with a new engine in it.lol
Re: Let's see your Tow rigs with your boat!
Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:58 pm
by NautiGirl
You silly GM people and your big V8's. I have heard the 6.2 is a monster, if GM ever figures out how to make their trucks not look terrible we would go 6.2 with an exhaust, hmmm captains call on the truck?
Re: Let's see your Tow rigs with your boat!
Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:31 pm
by Big Block Power
NautiGirl wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:58 pm
You silly GM people and your big V8's. I have heard the 6.2 is a monster, if GM ever figures out how to make their trucks not look terrible we would go 6.2 with an exhaust, hmmm captains call on the truck?
Yes you really have to get the right trim on it. That's why my wife won't get one yet. It looks like a hearst.
I want a turbo on one or twins.
Re: Let's see your Tow rigs with your boat!
Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:36 pm
by rrfisher
I thought the same thing, but my wife's kind of grew on me. It definately looks a lot better with the boat attached to it. This would be a great time to post a pic which I don't have.
Re: Let's see your Tow rigs with your boat!
Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:38 pm
by Big Block Power
Re: Let's see your Tow rigs with your boat!
Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:40 pm
by cmattj
NautiGirl wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:58 pm
You silly GM people and your big V8's. I have heard the 6.2 is a monster, if GM ever figures out how to make their trucks not look terrible we would go 6.2 with an exhaust, hmmm captains call on the truck?
Easy Easy Eco mode!!.Dems fightinnn wurds. There sloowwwly making them Pretty like everything else. Haha
Ok your right we like the 6.2 VVT power but she will spit everything thing else to the ground behind the motor pulling big loads..that’s how GM moves you to get the 3/4 Duramax.
Notice the Diesel excursion went bye bye. GM would not do a Suburban Duramax for that reason. And boy when the 3/4 Ton Suburban where out with 502 8.2 back in the day.. it was a awesome family truckster and puller on weekends.
Ok I’m back. Am I in the Food thread?
Re: Let's see your Tow rigs with your boat!
Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:47 pm
by Tuscany
NautiGirl wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:58 pm
You silly GM people and your big V8's. I have heard the 6.2 is a monster, if GM ever figures out how to make their trucks not look terrible we would go 6.2 with an exhaust, hmmm captains call on the truck?
If you think GM trucks are ugly now, just wait for the 19’ half tons and the new 2020 HD.
I do have to say the Gen 5 6.2 in my wife’s Denali is incredible. Just a monster that makes that thing feel like a 200 lb toy.
Re: Let's see your Tow rigs with your boat!
Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:17 pm
by Bfun220
BB, I found your next 1.
https://youtu.be/T1Y1OUrOxbY
.
.