Page 3 of 3
Re: Engine Hatch gas shocks 2005 Cobalt 220
Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:12 am
by Big Block Power
Sounds good. Let us know how much better they work. Maybe I'll buy your other ones from you. Why do you remove them to work on the engine? I have had no need to and I crawl in there just for fun.
Re: Engine Hatch gas shocks 2005 Cobalt 220
Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:32 pm
by SAB220
You need to be comfortable especially on marine engines because you usually get one shot (no tow truck). Plus I'm not a kid and my body can no longer hang upside down, or lean on exhaust manifolds. I remove the gas shock and that vertical separator/wakeboard storage board and put nice comfy moving blanket down there to sit on (one for each side). Example: I got to find the puck for the transducer and remove/replace the remote for the stereo this weekend so the shock comes out. AND because the hull manufacturer ( in this case Cobalt) never communicated with mercury regarding the diameter of the limber hole vs oil change hose, at the end of the season I have to manually get around the bilge pump and stick the oil drain hose out the limber hole to drain the oil (can't do it with the shock installed), tuneup engine, etc, etc.
Re: Engine Hatch gas shocks 2005 Cobalt 220
Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:44 pm
by Big Block Power
I guess it pays to be a inch taller then Yt for once


when I lay on top of my engine with my arms around her is like I'm just giving her a big hug. I loce her. It's friendly bonding. What do you just stick a big 2x4 in the midge to hold her up? Please don't ever tell us it fell on your mellon

One thing you want to look at if your laying down in your comfy bilge is close the lid and check all of the bumper stops to see if they are touching the lid. They are adjustable.
Re: Engine Hatch gas shocks 2005 Cobalt 220
Posted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:42 pm
by SAB220
2004 220
Replaced the hatch gas shocks today with 60lb vice original 40Lb. BLUF- not much of a difference.
When you open the hatch about halfway, it goes up the rest of the way by itself which is great. However the opposite is true. When you go to close the hatch from it rest position (fully open position) you meet I little more resistance until the weight of the hatch closes the hatch. I also cleaned and greased the ball sockets. As I said above the real answer is to mount elbow hinges outboard P & S and get rid of the shocks.
Re: Engine Hatch gas shocks 2005 Cobalt 220
Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:54 am
by kbloom72
AsLan7 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:27 pm
jackmowers wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:01 pm
I own a 2005 Cobalt 220. I'm trying to replace the engine hatch gas shocks. I've located a place that has them in stock, but only have shocks rated for 50 lbs and 100 lbs. Cobalt says the OEM shocks were 70 lbs. The supplier doesn't offer shocks rated for 70 lbs. Would there be any issues/ problems putting in the shocks rated for 100 lbs? I don't really want the hatch to pop up while underway. Any suggestions? Thanks. Jack
.
Hey jackmowers, welcome to the Cobalt chat forum. So glad you found us!!!
I have only owned boats with electric engine hatches so I'm not much help here.
The best I can do is offer advice for the hatch rams ABOVE the engine hatch which utilize the gas shocks. We just replaced those. Sorry.
.
Love the 220 though. Do you have any pictures of that beauty?
.
Hey AS7, Do you recall the lbs on those gas struts for the rear gullwing storage doors? I removed one for the winter, but I cannot find anything identifying the lifting ability.
Re: Engine Hatch gas shocks 2005 Cobalt 220
Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:38 am
by AsLan7
kbloom72 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:54 am
AsLan7 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:27 pm
jackmowers wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:01 pm
I own a 2005 Cobalt 220. I'm trying to replace the engine hatch gas shocks. I've located a place that has them in stock, but only have shocks rated for 50 lbs and 100 lbs. Cobalt says the OEM shocks were 70 lbs. The supplier doesn't offer shocks rated for 70 lbs. Would there be any issues/ problems putting in the shocks rated for 100 lbs? I don't really want the hatch to pop up while underway. Any suggestions? Thanks. Jack
.
Hey jackmowers, welcome to the Cobalt chat forum. So glad you found us!!!
I have only owned boats with electric engine hatches so I'm not much help here.
The best I can do is offer advice for the hatch rams ABOVE the engine hatch which utilize the gas shocks. We just replaced those. Sorry.
.
Love the 220 though. Do you have any pictures of that beauty?
.
Hey AS7, Do you recall the lbs on those gas struts for the rear gullwing storage doors? I removed one for the winter, but I cannot find anything identifying the lifting ability.
.
Not off hand KB. The best I can do is look at the part number when I get her out of storage in April. I’m sure you’ll figure it out by then. Maybe someone here who lives in a warmer climate can get that part number for ya’ before then.


.
Re: Engine Hatch gas shocks 2005 Cobalt 220
Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:54 am
by kbloom72
AsLan7 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:38 am
kbloom72 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:54 am
AsLan7 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:27 pm
.
Hey jackmowers, welcome to the Cobalt chat forum. So glad you found us!!!
I have only owned boats with electric engine hatches so I'm not much help here.
The best I can do is offer advice for the hatch rams ABOVE the engine hatch which utilize the gas shocks. We just replaced those. Sorry.
.
Love the 220 though. Do you have any pictures of that beauty?
.
Hey AS7, Do you recall the lbs on those gas struts for the rear gullwing storage doors? I removed one for the winter, but I cannot find anything identifying the lifting ability.
.
Not off hand KB. The best I can do is look at the part number when I get her out of storage in April. I’m sure you’ll figure it out by then. Maybe someone here who lives in a warmer climate can get that part number for ya’ before then.


.
All good! Thank you though!

Re: Engine Hatch gas shocks 2005 Cobalt 220
Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:38 am
by bruceb58
kbloom72 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:54 am
All good! Thank you though!
I would just call Cobalt.