Page 3 of 3

Re: New R8 Outboard On Order

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:39 pm
by bikerbobt
I really like the twin option because you can get the joystick control which is great. I believe the twin 200's would be just fine.

Re: New R8 Outboard On Order

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:41 pm
by AsLan7
Reight wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:20 pm Beautiful. Looking at the twin 200 mercs. Vs 300 or 350 single. How do you think performance
will be? Not looking for so much top end speed
Rather getting underway well with a reasonable load. Thanks.
.
Hey Reight. So glad you found us.

I prefer twins in that size primarily for docking …especially with crosswinds.

Be sure to post pics if you move forward.

And welcome aboard mate.

.



.

Re: New R8 Outboard On Order

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:37 pm
by Reight
Thanks AsLan7

Re: New R8 Outboard On Order

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:40 pm
by Reight
Hey Bikerbobt the joystick is not available with the 2x200. 250 yeas but that adds 30k more ouch!

Re: New R8 Outboard On Order

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:43 pm
by Reight
How’s that Carmel vinyl to the touch in the hot sun?

Re: New R8 Outboard On Order

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:14 am
by bikerbobt
I guess I thought it was available on all twin choices. The Carmel vinyl still gets pretty warm but not burn you hot like some interiors I have had in the past.

Re: New R8 Outboard On Order

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:36 pm
by Paul275
Hey folks- Well I figured that I would give this thread an update that I did on other threads. We had cancelled the R8 OB for various reasons. Yes, money was a big one. However, I was really concerned that the R8 OB would be too light (at 6500lbs) for the typically rougher waters on the Long Island Sound. Just did not feel like making that type of bet, as there was no way to sea trial an R8 OB on the Sound. So after some thought, decided to cancel our order. It was painful, but I only cancelled after buying this: 2013 296 with twin Merc 377s, Axius, Stainless Arch, teak package, vacuflush head . Approx 350 hours. It weighs nearly 9,000 lbs and will do over 50 mph easily. Much more boat to push back on the water. Needed a ton of work- see "New to me 296" in the Older Boats Forum on details of my partial restoration project. We absolutely love this boat. And I have a lot less money in this boat than a new one.

Re: New R8 Outboard On Order

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:13 pm
by AsLan7
That boat is gorgeous! Great choice.

Re: New R8 Outboard On Order

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:53 am
by ForeverCobalt
Very beautiful boat! Good choice!

Re: New R8 Outboard On Order

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:58 pm
by Big Block Power
Very cool. I saw a r8 with twin OB mercs on our lake last vac it was brand new and what a beauty. It was really to big for that lake though. I hope they were just water testing it for the weekend then going to much larger water. It was sweet! Hard to believe how large that boat was on land.

Re: New R8 Outboard On Order

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:03 am
by Paul275
Big Block Power wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:58 pm Very cool. I saw a r8 with twin OB mercs on our lake last vac it was brand new and what a beauty. It was really to big for that lake though. I hope they were just water testing it for the weekend then going to much larger water. It was sweet! Hard to believe how large that boat was on land.
Not gonna lie- I would have loved a brand spankin' new R8 OB. Except the purchase price of the 296 was 25% of the new boat, which leaves a ton of room for maintenance, repairs and upgrades. Not really thrilled with raw water cooled stern drives in a wet slip, but that's how it rolls here on the LI Sound for many, many similar boats. You just need to deal with it and do the annual maintenance.
The R8 is a nice sized boat for lake use. The 296 is over 2,000 lbs heavier and a foot wider, plus an extra two feet in length. If you've ever handled a wake from a 60' sport fish, any extra size is appreciated. Plus, the gunnels are higher so you really sit in the boat. One thing is for certain, you can't beat a Cobalt for a great day on the water. Amazing how everyone just loves a Cobalt.

Re: New R8 Outboard On Order

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:28 pm
by jhnmdahl
People are going to appreciate the square footage more than a moderately more up-to-date design. Nice boat, and smart thinking.