Page 3 of 4

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:01 pm
by NautiGirl
Big Block Power wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:40 pm Not sure if you will be pulling waterskiers but it's the same thing for that. Always pointing off center. Plus when I launch the drive is pointing to the right from trailering. I just give it more throttle. Lol

You just have to be quick turning it the other way. It will come with time.
I would 100% get the rudder indicator on a new boat
+1 on the rudder indicator... That's made Jeff's list of must haves on the next one... Did any of these guys order us this on these new boats?

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:30 pm
by Photo_G
NautiGirl wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:01 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:40 pm Not sure if you will be pulling waterskiers but it's the same thing for that. Always pointing off center. Plus when I launch the drive is pointing to the right from trailering. I just give it more throttle. Lol

You just have to be quick turning it the other way. It will come with time.
I would 100% get the rudder indicator on a new boat
+1 on the rudder indicator... That's made Jeff's list of must haves on the next one... Did any of these guys order us this on these new boats?
Are there aftermarket kits for this too?

Thanks,
G

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:38 pm
by Bfun220
Photo_G wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:30 pm
Are there aftermarket kits for this too?

Thanks,
G
Yes, there are aftermarket ones. There's even one were the indicator mounts in the middle of the steering wheel.

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:19 pm
by Big Block Power
NautiGirl wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:01 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:40 pm Not sure if you will be pulling waterskiers but it's the same thing for that. Always pointing off center. Plus when I launch the drive is pointing to the right from trailering. I just give it more throttle. Lol

You just have to be quick turning it the other way. It will come with time.
I would 100% get the rudder indicator on a new boat
+1 on the rudder indicator... That's made Jeff's list of must haves on the next one... Did any of these guys order us this on these new boats?
Cycle did you order that for us?
The center of my steering wheel is always spinning centered

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:58 pm
by thunder550
BobRae99 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:22 am Actually, I found backing out more difficult, but I understand what I'm doing wrong. When you share a 20' diagonal slip with another boat (less beam than mine, though), you can't jog the transmission into reverse, wait to see which way the stern is heading and then try to correct. By the time my brain figures all of that out, its too late and a collision is possible.

Depending on wind direction and how much room between myself and whoever is docked next to me, sometimes I'll just push the boat out by hand to make sure it comes out pointing the direction I want, then give a good shove off/hop on at the last minute.

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:37 pm
by BobRae99
thunder550 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:58 pm
BobRae99 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:22 am Actually, I found backing out more difficult, but I understand what I'm doing wrong. When you share a 20' diagonal slip with another boat (less beam than mine, though), you can't jog the transmission into reverse, wait to see which way the stern is heading and then try to correct. By the time my brain figures all of that out, its too late and a collision is possible.

Depending on wind direction and how much room between myself and whoever is docked next to me, sometimes I'll just push the boat out by hand to make sure it comes out pointing the direction I want, then give a good shove off/hop on at the last minute.
I thought about doing that (and no disrespect to you), but my friends in the marina would start laughing at me if I did that. They are a tough crowd. :)

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:54 pm
by thunder550
BobRae99 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:37 pm I thought about doing that (and no disrespect to you), but my friends in the marina would start laughing at me if I did that. They are a tough crowd. :)
I guarantee they'd be an even tougher crowd if you ran your back end into the neighboring boat. I'll take a few laughs and a successful exit over scratching up my boat or running into someone else's.

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:38 pm
by NautiGirl
thunder550 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:54 pm
BobRae99 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:37 pm I thought about doing that (and no disrespect to you), but my friends in the marina would start laughing at me if I did that. They are a tough crowd. :)
I guarantee they'd be an even tougher crowd if you ran your back end into the neighboring boat. I'll take a few laughs and a successful exit over scratching up my boat or running into someone else's.
+billion on that one...i say walk that boat out of the slip, crank the tunes and roll on... Way better than hitting something

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:03 pm
by cmattj
Geeze .. just look in the crystal blue water and eyeball the outdrive..

Not like you guys are in toxic California Delta or Wisconsin .. :lol:

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:07 pm
by Bfun220
cmattj wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:03 pm Geeze .. just look in the crystal blue water and eyeball the outdrive..

Not like you guys are in toxic California Delta or Wisconsin ..
Hay, our wisconsin water I can see down around 8 feet. Just dont ask me in a couple of weeks. :D

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:33 pm
by BobRae99
Bfun220 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:07 pm
cmattj wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:03 pm Geeze .. just look in the crystal blue water and eyeball the outdrive..

Not like you guys are in toxic California Delta or Wisconsin ..
Hay, our wisconsin water I can see down around 8 feet. Just dont ask me in a couple of weeks. :D
I can only see 12" down in our lake, but as others have posted, walking the boat backward out of the narrow slip is better than hitting my neighbour. I'm going to try making sure the drive is straight before bumping the transmission into reverse and then neutral. If I can't master it, I'll just walk the boat out as has been suggested. :)

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:45 pm
by thunder550
BobRae99 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:33 pm I can only see 12" down in our lake, but as others have posted, walking the boat backward out of the narrow slip is better than hitting my neighbour. I'm going to try making sure the drive is straight before bumping the transmission into reverse and then neutral. If I can't master it, I'll just walk the boat out as has been suggested. :)
Any entry or exit done without damage is a win in my book, regardless of how you get it done :D

If you count steering wheel turns lock-to-lock and divide by 2 you can center the drive that way also, without having to look at anything.

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:53 pm
by Bfun220
You could always add a indicator. Not sure how well this would work but it may help.

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:58 pm
by thunder550
Bfun220 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:53 pm You could always add a indicator. Not sure how well this would work but it may help.
Or attach one of these trailer hitch assist thingies to the drive :lol:

Image

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:54 pm
by NautiGirl
BobRae99 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:33 pm
Bfun220 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:07 pm
cmattj wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:03 pm Geeze .. just look in the crystal blue water and eyeball the outdrive..

Not like you guys are in toxic California Delta or Wisconsin ..
Hay, our wisconsin water I can see down around 8 feet. Just dont ask me in a couple of weeks. :D
I can only see 12" down in our lake, but as others have posted, walking the boat backward out of the narrow slip is better than hitting my neighbour. I'm going to try making sure the drive is straight before bumping the transmission into reverse and then neutral. If I can't master it, I'll just walk the boat out as has been suggested. :)
You boat neighbor next to you will be very thankful that you chose to walk the boat... He won't laugh at that... Just a guess.