Page 16 of 18

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:06 pm
by Homeskillet
I added this one shortly after I bought our boat. I have a very short USB attached to it and it's always plugged into the 12v on the side of the head unit, so it never dies. I velcroed it to the side to clean up that rats nest in there, as well.

20190327_155443.jpg

As for upgrading your speakers and such... if I can do it anyone can. People here were super helpful. I wasn't sure how much of an upgrade I would be noticing, back when I was trying to decide if it would be worth it. I went with JL Audio speakers and an amp, and it was like night and day. I could never go back now.

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:30 am
by Photo_G
@HS: Thanks for the feedback! I believe that there's already a 6-channel amp in there, but it's wired to the stock Sony speakers that were bundled with the receiver, a Sony DSXS100 - which I like except that it lacked bluetooth. I'm guessing that replacing speakers only would just involve a bit of soldering.

G

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:24 am
by Axeaholic
My 2008 232 uses - Sony RM-X11M remotes. The previous Sony head unit is long gone. Has anyone found a modern head unit to work with these older sony remotes (or the existing cabling)? If not, has anyone replaced the Sony remotes with one that fits in the 2" hole in the dashboard and transom?

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:28 am
by ajcampen
Axeaholic wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:24 am My 2008 232 uses - Sony RM-X11M remotes. The previous Sony head unit is long gone. Has anyone found a modern head unit to work with these older sony remotes (or the existing cabling)? If not, has anyone replaced the Sony remotes with one that fits in the 2" hole in the dashboard and transom?
I think the current Sony head units work. On Crutchfield you can read the manual to make sure they work

For example, this head unit has a pic of your remote in the manual.

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:35 am
by Homeskillet
Used the new system in The Dells last wknd with friends. Rocked pretty good! Love the JL's!! That being said, I think a diff sub and sub amp are on the project list. That older amp was hot to the touch. And I mean REALLY hot!! Also, having it in that front compartment really deadens the bass. Not a lot of punch to it. I'll have to find one that I can have mounted in the passenger console area. I'm sure I'll be pretty nervous to cut that hole, but I know others have done it.

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:06 pm
by ajcampen
well done Homes....inspired by what you did

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:35 pm
by AsLan7
ajcampen wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:28 am
Axeaholic wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:24 am My 2008 232 uses - Sony RM-X11M remotes. The previous Sony head unit is long gone. Has anyone found a modern head unit to work with these older sony remotes (or the existing cabling)? If not, has anyone replaced the Sony remotes with one that fits in the 2" hole in the dashboard and transom?
I think the current Sony head units work. On Crutchfield you can read the manual to make sure they work

For example, this head unit has a pic of your remote in the manual.
.
Totally agree AJC.

...and a belated and official welcome aboard to Axeaholic if he returns. :D

.

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:50 pm
by Homeskillet
You all are too kind :)

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:57 pm
by Homeskillet
So me and mama were rockin' the system last night before the fireworks. Sounded really really good! BUT I think I need to upgrade the sub :) need more bass AND I think I need to cut a hole for it (yikes). That compartment is pretty deadening in terms of bass getting out

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:04 pm
by Big Block Power
Homeskillet wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:57 pm So me and mama were rockin' the system last night before the fireworks. Sounded really really good! BUT I think I need to upgrade the sub :) need more bass AND I think I need to cut a hole for it (yikes). That compartment is pretty deadening in terms of bass getting out
Just do it

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:11 pm
by Homeskillet
How did yours turn out? Pics?

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:16 pm
by Big Block Power

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:34 am
by Homeskillet
I hadn't seen that whole thread before. Awesome

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:38 am
by ATX Cobalt
I just cut mine out as well and posted some pics under electronics if you want to see how I increased the depth for the back of the sub.

I second BBP, just do it! I was nerved up, but it actually was not bad at all. I used a Dremel tool and went through three cutting bits.

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:06 pm
by Homeskillet
Looking at some subs. I think I need a "free air" one for my application, right? Also, does a 2 ohm woofer require more power than a 4 ohm? Or is it the other way around? I have all JL audio 6.5's but was wondering about this one by Wetsounds:

https://creativeaudio.net/categories/ma ... ofers.html