Page 2 of 2
Re: Cobalt in MO
Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:58 pm
by thunder550
Eric that boat is SWEET!! Can't wait to see some pics (is it too much to ask for video too?

) from the upcoming summer!
AMG affinity here too, we tow with a 2017 GLE43 AMG...it's not the big boy 63 but it does the job nicely.
Re: Cobalt in MO
Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:32 am
by Eric55AMG
All awesome replies! Thanks all!
Definitely hope to get some videos up once we get it on the water some more.
I'll look through the videos we made of the sea trial day and see if any are worth sharing.
The twin big blocks opened up with the thru hull exhaust gets me all kinds of excited

Re: Cobalt in MO
Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:49 am
by Eric55AMG
Here's one ... I cut the video off so I could play with the trim more ... eventually touched 60 mph.
Not that it matters, but I think fuel consumption was close to 32 GPH per motor ... so that 150 gallon tank won't last too long at those speeds and RPMs
https://youtu.be/xa0GLHrcZJ0
Re: Cobalt in MO
Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:05 pm
by AsLan7
Eric55AMG wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:49 am
Here's one ... I cut the video off so I could play with the trim more ... eventually touched 60 mph.
Not that it matters, but I think fuel consumption was close to 32 GPH per motor ... so that 150 gallon tank won't last too long at those speeds and RPMs
https://youtu.be/xa0GLHrcZJ0
Nice Eric! Plus it says it's 91 degrees outside. Runnin' pretty well in that heat.
I copied the youtube character string and posted it below so those on a computer can view it....
.
Re: Cobalt in MO
Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:10 pm
by cmattj
Nice video!
You will find that twins aren't as bad as taking 2 boats out at the same time.
I feel that the strain at 3200 rpm is a lot less with twins up on plane cruising and can lead to a pretty efficient fuel consumption.. then again I'm not concerned about it. 16 cylinders harmonizing is worth it !!
Re: Cobalt in MO
Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:29 pm
by Eric55AMG
Thanks AsLan, i couldnt figure out how to do that.
I wish it was 91 degrees that day. It was about 58 best I recall.

The water depth was 91 feet. Not sure why I had that screen on depth when there is a seporate depth gauge.
One thing I do find frustrating is having two seporate Tacs with the digital info, yet only a single button to cycle through them. It's damn near impossible to get the info you want on both screens at the same time.
I may have to look into installing a second button and separating the data feeds.
I agree cmattj, twins suck a little more fuel, but definitely put less overall strain on the boat / motors for a given speed.
Seem to have gotten "great" economy at about 3k rpm, and was still running about 37 mph.
Still, if I was worried about fuel economy I wouldn't have blught the 496 ... much less two of them
Love the extra maneuverability the twins provide!
Re: Cobalt in MO
Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:57 pm
by AsLan7
Correction! 91 feet. My apologies.
She sure sounds good though... purrin' like a kitten. Or should I say mountain lion.
Again, thanx for posting that. It helps melt the snow here when I turn up the volume.

Re: Cobalt in MO
Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:46 pm
by thunder550
Thanks for the vid

Sounds awesome, and it's gotta feel good to get that big thing running at 60!
I made a chart for fuel consumption on my 502, and 3000 RPM seems to be the sweet spot for efficiency. Your 496's are probably pretty close to this. These big blocks are thirsty mofos when you run them hard
chart.jpg
Re: Cobalt in MO
Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:44 pm
by Eric55AMG
This is an awesome chart Thunder!
I'll have to build a similar one in the spring and compare them.
Re: Cobalt in MO
Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:47 pm
by AsLan7
thunder550 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:46 pm
Thanks for the vid

Sounds awesome, and it's gotta feel good to get that big thing running at 60!
I made a chart for fuel consumption on my 502, and 3000 RPM seems to be the sweet spot for efficiency. Your 496's are probably pretty close to this. These big blocks are thirsty mofos when you run them hard
chart.jpg
Nice post!
Re: Cobalt in MO
Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:17 pm
by Table Rockin
Welcome aboard Eric! That boat makes me drool....
Were do you stay on LOTO? My parents (divorced) both have places down there so we fo down a couple times a year but since getting a place at table rock we dont go to LOTO much as much. You need a boat like that at LOTO. Shell plow through those monster wakes
Re: Cobalt in MO
Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:07 pm
by Eric55AMG
Rockin,
Over the years we've stayed everywhere from Camdenton to Gravois Mill (Using VRBO, but in the last 5 years, we've started staying close to the Grand glaize Bridge.
We love hanging out in the State Park area when the kids are tubing. Matter of fact, our neighbors just bought a condo at the towers overlooking the state park, so that's where we'll stay for the foreseeable future.
My wife and I may look at buying a place down there in the next 5 years or so. Not sure where we might wind up yet, as we prefer a house over a condo.
Re: Cobalt in MO
Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:32 pm
by Table Rockin
Yep the state park area is a good place for water sports. My Dads place is on the same penninsula as the flower house just on the west side. Moms is down by past tantara in one of the coves at the point the lake turns west again heading the gravois arm direction. If i was buying on LOTO it would prob be the area your staying. And yes on LOTO id much rather have a house. No question.
Re: Cobalt in MO
Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:27 am
by liquid
I think I could park my boat on your boat like a tube. That thing is a beast! Congrats and welcome sir.
Your poor kids tubing behind that, going to build a ton of character.