Page 2 of 3

Re: Newbie 2018 R7 WSS Surf

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:09 am
by AsLan7
Ooohhhh. I bit off on the 430 hp label!

Man I would love to have that winterizing lever with my merc--although I think I would still pump anti-freeze into it for peace of mind.

Re: Newbie 2018 R7 WSS Surf

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:16 am
by Big Block Power
AsLan7 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:09 am Ooohhhh. I bit off on the 430 hp label!

Man I would love to have that winterizing lever with my merc--although I think I would still pump anti-freeze into it for peace of mind.
Correct I would always add that. But if it is cool out and your a bit worried you can pull the lever and get the water out to ease the worries.that would be huge. Before the final put it away stage. If you have the heated garage like Tuscany will bonus :-)

Re: Newbie 2018 R7 WSS Surf

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:42 am
by Tuscany
The engine is closed cooling, so no worries there. The lever (as I think I understand it) does the same thing as pulling hoses like normal winterizing. It channels everything into a collective manifold at the lowest point and simply valves the whole deal to drain naturally.
Should be 100% trustworthy...that alone would make me worry. :D
All of this stuff is new to me.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CHnTCm2kTXg

Re: Newbie 2018 R7 WSS Surf

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:44 am
by Soonerfan
Wow, thanks for all the responses, thoughts and ideas! Here is my boat and options as of today. Might change by this afternoon!
2018 R7 WSS Surf
Volvo 380 FFD (Can't justify expense of 430 at this time)
Mooring Cover
Premium Sound w/transom remote
Aft walkthrough carpet
Sea Grass (hot or not it looks good!)
Pump out head
LED Interior LIghting
Sink in Cockpit
Stainless foot tread at helm
Sunpad filler (w/o dinette)
Standard Arch with Sunshade
Docking Lights
Swim Platform LIghting
Transom Shower
Battery Maintenance Charger
Battery Switch
Rearview Mirror
Windlass

Options Considering/trying to justify! It seems like every other day I am adding something!
Porcelain Electric Head, Bow Filler Cushion, Rudder Indicator, Motorbox actuator

Re: Newbie 2018 R7 WSS Surf

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:44 pm
by Tuscany
It's gonna be niiiiiice!

Re: Newbie 2018 R7 WSS Surf

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:43 pm
by liquid
Tuscany wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:13 pm
AsLan7 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:10 pm We are a little more primitive, Tusc--we just pee in the lake. Girls love hanging off swim platform. :lol: :lol: :lol:


Our new boat has a pump out with tank, but again...don't intend on using it.
:lol: Haha, I guarantee if you get over it like we did, and christen it just once,..you'll use it more than you think, especially if you are in street clothes.
There is also a comical angle of watching me jam myself in there :lol:
That's how my wife felt about the bucket. :lol:

Re: Newbie 2018 R7 WSS Surf

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:46 pm
by liquid
Tuscany wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:42 am The engine is closed cooling, so no worries there. The lever (as I think I understand it) does the same thing as pulling hoses like normal winterizing. It channels everything into a collective manifold at the lowest point and simply valves the whole deal to drain naturally.
Should be 100% trustworthy...that alone would make me worry. :D
All of this stuff is new to me.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CHnTCm2kTXg
I get it, but I don't do it. I've done it and I don't want to anymore. I drop it off end of season and down't worry about forgetting something or screwing something simple up.

BTW. Welcome to the forum!

Re: Newbie 2018 R7 WSS Surf

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:29 pm
by AsLan7
Soonerfan wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:44 am Wow, thanks for all the responses, thoughts and ideas! Here is my boat and options as of today. Might change by this afternoon!
2018 R7 WSS Surf
Volvo 380 FFD (Can't justify expense of 430 at this time)
Mooring Cover
Premium Sound w/transom remote
Aft walkthrough carpet
Sea Grass (hot or not it looks good!)
Pump out head
LED Interior LIghting
Sink in Cockpit
Stainless foot tread at helm
Sunpad filler (w/o dinette)
Standard Arch with Sunshade
Docking Lights
Swim Platform LIghting
Transom Shower
Battery Maintenance Charger
Battery Switch
Rearview Mirror
Windlass

Options Considering/trying to justify! It seems like every other day I am adding something!
Porcelain Electric Head, Bow Filler Cushion, Rudder Indicator, Motorbox actuator

Some great options there Soonerfan.
C'mon...step up to the 6.2!

(btw, surprised no transom trim remote. Man do I use that alot while it's on the trailer. Certainly depends on how you use your boat with all these options)

Re: Newbie 2018 R7 WSS Surf

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:51 pm
by Southernboatman
Welcome Soonerfan! Yeah you're gonna want those options at the bottom. All of them. Add nice underwater lights and your about there (can add later too). Girls at my house so porcelain head a must. No regrets there. I'm no trailer so the mooring cover and I just don't get along when I leave it out overnight but I didn't want 500 snaps drilled into it. Think about how you'll use (I'm sure you have) re the 380 v 430. love my vp 380 on R5. Table...expensive but you're getting the mount...we use it. Rudder indicator yep. Use it. All the little options get.

Re: Newbie 2018 R7 WSS Surf

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:02 pm
by AsLan7
With the R7, since it's a starboard side entry, you will have the majority of "person" weight on the port side and she will like to list to that side. Trim tabs work incredibly well to balance the boat out. Usually surf tabs (which are located on the out-side edges of the transom) are only used for low speeds and will automatically be "retracted/pushed" flat at anything over 14mph.
Thus tabs may also be needed.
Something to check on.

With as many folks that we carry on our Cobalt (sometimes up to 15!) tabs are very helpful--especially with a hull that's a 22 degree deep vee dead rise. Would certainly not go without that option if you plan to carry 4 or more on her. The lesser the dead rise, the less you'll need that option. Yours I believe is a 21 degree vee. That's a nice riding hull that can still list easily depending on circumstances.

If it's just one or two of you on the boat--then u can skip the tabs.

Re: Newbie 2018 R7 WSS Surf

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:41 pm
by Soonerfan
Wow, this is worse than my Jeep! This site is costing me nothing but money! All the "little" options were added including the transom remote. The only thing I haven't done is the 430, I am sticking with the 380 for now. New technology it's wonderful! I would have never thought I would have owned a truck with a V6 but I do and am extremely happy with it!

As far as tabs dealer told me no go with the surf tabs. When. I get it I may have to look at adding them or ? to get some type of trim control?

Re: Newbie 2018 R7 WSS Surf

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:51 pm
by AsLan7
"get some type of trim control?"



I don't think you will regret your decision on the options added so far Sooner.

As far as trim control, you have up and down (pitch) control thru your out-drive.
Lateral roll control will be done thru the trim tabs or by balancing your load (ie moving people or cargo around). The more persons/cargo on board, the more you will have to watch this. That's where trim tabs pay off.

Occasionally we will use our tabs for pitch control as well, depending on wave conditions and how much fuel is burnt off making the boat lighter--causing it to "pound more". If I want the forward part of the hull to cut thru the waves more, I'll find a combination of outdrive and symmetrical trim tab use to provide a smoother ride (albeit possibly wetter) & vice versa. This is particularly useful for us when crossing Lake Erie over to Canada.

Everything depends on your type of boating my friend. If it's just an occasional trip around the lake in smooth conditions with smaller loads, trim tabs won't be of much use.

Re: Newbie 2018 R7 WSS Surf

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:59 pm
by Big Block Power
I'm not familiar with how the ballast tanks work but if you can fill them up individually you can just do that to balance the boat too?I guess only time will tell when you start using it. I can't wait to see pictures of it in use. Is the lake pretty deep all over where your going to use it.

Re: Newbie 2018 R7 WSS Surf

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:08 pm
by AsLan7
Big Block Power wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:59 pm I'm not familiar with his the ballast tanks work but if you can fill them up individually you can just do that to balance the boat too?I guess only time will tell when you start using it. I can't wait to see pictures of it in use. Is the lake pretty deep all over where your going to use it.

We would use the ballast tank on our Fountain for pitch control. It was one big tank positioned in the bow vs the r5 which may have multiple tanks in the stern. Of course it's mostly about using them for the huge wake. Thing is, you normally need to be stopped to fill them up. If you are under way and your boat is listing, the trim tabs come in handy instantly. Don't think you can fill individual ballasts up while moving. May want to check on that Sooner.

On our Fountain, the ballast tank was used for incredible hole shot keeping the bow down with the tank positioned in the Bow. Then once on plane, u pushed the drain lever forward and the entire tank drained instantly behind the boat. Won quite a few races with that ingenious feature as we could beat folks out of the hole AND on the top end.

Re: Newbie 2018 R7 WSS Surf

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:10 pm
by Big Block Power
Yes that's the huge advantage with the Cobalt is you can fill and drain while under way.