Page 2 of 2
Re: Cobalt 253 Owner
Posted: Sat May 04, 2024 4:34 pm
by gmurphy
I'm a new member and a recent new owner of a 96 Cobalt 253. I took the boat out this week on Lake of the Ozarks, and although I'm happy with the boat overall, my top speed is only 35 mph. I thought it should push 60. Any ideas on why or what I can do to increase its speed? Had full throttle, trim tabs up, and trim adjusted to optimal.
Re: Cobalt 253 Owner
Posted: Sun May 05, 2024 7:20 am
by AsLan7
.
So glad you found us gm…
As the previous posts mention, hull design, horsepower, gear ratio, and prop pitch with outdrive type are your main factors which will contribute to top end speed.
At wot, what rpm are you turning with what engine?
And welcome aboard mate.
.
Re: Cobalt 253 Owner
Posted: Sun May 05, 2024 11:50 pm
by gmurphy
I have the MerCruiser 7.4L EFI MP. My recollection was it was 35 MPH at about 3500 RPM for top speed. It felt like I couldn't give it enough throttle.
Re: Cobalt 253 Owner
Posted: Sun May 05, 2024 11:53 pm
by gmurphy
After seeing some articles, I'm thinking a full engine service may be needed. Perhaps the props need some tweaking. Maybe a throttle adjustment as well. And maybe the EFI needs cleaning.
Re: Cobalt 253 Owner
Posted: Mon May 06, 2024 8:46 am
by Kate
"3500 RPM for top speed"
That is not WOT rpm. That's about cruise rpm. WOT rpm is around 4500. At WOT, you should get around low 40's mph.