Page 2 of 2
Re: 94 Cobalt 220 not starting
Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 4:30 pm
by 512Cobalt
Thank you for the resource! The description of fuel pump wiring there is exactly what I'm planning on doing. Parts just arrived, may get out there tomorrow afternoon to give it a shot.
Couple things though:
-How do I add pics on here?
-What type of wire connectors should be used?
-Still hoping local boat dealer has marine grade fuel line in stock for me
Thanks!
Re: 94 Cobalt 220 not starting
Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:40 am
by 512Cobalt
The electric fuel pump conversion did it!
The Universal Carter Pump provides ~6psi and it starts and runs. Thanks for all the help!
Unfortunately, now I'm going to start a new topic about some other issues I noticed after cruising it yesterday. it seemed to be misfiring shortly after leaving the dock so I came back. Noticed the ignition coil is extremely hot. It's new and the reason I replaced it is the previous one was also getting super hot. Wondering about the circuitry to it now...for one thing.
I'd love to share some pics with the group, but couldn't figure out how to upload them yet.
Re: 94 Cobalt 220 not starting
Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:46 pm
by akorcovelos
my bad, I posted on the other thread not realizing it was you.
Re: 94 Cobalt 220 not starting
Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:50 pm
by Kate
512 wrote: "So, now I am in urgent need of determining why it isn't getting fuel from the full tank to the motor."
A late reply, but maybe helpful: I had the same issue on my 5.7 Merc that otherwise was in excellent condition. My mechanic, who's experienced with older boats (including Cobalts) said that it's not an engine/carb problem. It's a gasoline problem, especially when it's hot and the boat's been sitting for a while. Because of the alcohol added, the gas in the carb and lines evaporates. His solution: Pump the throttle twice, slowly. Then start while adding a little throttle. Works every time, no matter how hot it is or how long she's been sitting.