Page 2 of 2

Re: Where to mount onboard charger

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:38 pm
by thunder550
I did mine on the bottom on the engine hatch.
IMG_20180908_191741.jpg

Re: Where to mount onboard charger

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:02 am
by Homeskillet
That would be a perfect spot I think. Did you drill thru and use bolts and washers? Or were you able to use short enough screws that didn't push through into that storage area?

Re: Where to mount onboard charger

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:53 am
by Bfun220
If I remember right, that area is pretty thick. But yes, short enough not to push through.

Re: Where to mount onboard charger

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:55 am
by cmattj
Big Block Power wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:43 pm
Homeskillet wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:17 pm 20190425_155629.jpg

I don't have space there on my 220 to mount it where you guys did. I think I'm gonna put it sideways right here (or on the one on the other side of the boat). Is that a "bulkhead?"
Careful not to drill through the bottom of your boat.
I know some hulls have mounting wood glassed in but I’m terrified to drill into the floor.

The bulkhead is the firewall break forward of the engine compartment. ( seat area) Cable can be routed cleanly to one side or the other along the OEM loom. ( to batteries and a exterior plug in housing).

Re: Where to mount onboard charger

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:54 am
by Homeskillet
20190426_075232.jpg
Awesome pix. Thanks for the help. Sounds like I should be fine putting it here right?

Re: Where to mount onboard charger

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:34 am
by thunder550
Homeskillet wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:02 am That would be a perfect spot I think. Did you drill thru and use bolts and washers? Or were you able to use short enough screws that didn't push through into that storage area?
Short screws. The fiberglass there is pretty thick and the charger isn't that heavy. Ran the cables down along the ram for the powered hatch.

Re: Where to mount onboard charger

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:59 am
by Homeskillet
Awesome! Thanks for the feedback everyone. Thunder, I'm going to put it right below that light post and run mine leads along the battery leads. I'm sure i'll look at it closer, but at first glance, I do not see a great spot to put in a charger receptacle. I had one on my Champion Fishing boat and loved it!! But my previous two boats I managed without one. If I can find a great spot, I'll put one in.

thanks so much for all the help everyone. Love this site. Hopefully I'll get more smarterer about my Cobalt and be able to return the favor to others

Re: Where to mount onboard charger

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:06 am
by cmattj
Homeskillet wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:59 am Awesome! Thanks for the feedback everyone. Thunder, I'm going to put it right below that light post and run mine leads along the battery leads. I'm sure i'll look at it closer, but at first glance, I do not see a great spot to put in a charger receptacle. I had one on my Champion Fishing boat and loved it!! But my previous two boats I managed without one. If I can find a great spot, I'll put one in.

thanks so much for all the help everyone. Love this site. Hopefully I'll get more smarterer about my Cobalt and be able to return the favor to others
Different models have different and convenient areas for plugging in . Find a spot you can access, and with your covers on has a good exit route.

Re: Where to mount onboard charger

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:18 pm
by thunder550
Homeskillet wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:59 am Awesome! Thanks for the feedback everyone. Thunder, I'm going to put it right below that light post and run mine leads along the battery leads. I'm sure i'll look at it closer, but at first glance, I do not see a great spot to put in a charger receptacle. I had one on my Champion Fishing boat and loved it!! But my previous two boats I managed without one. If I can find a great spot, I'll put one in.

thanks so much for all the help everyone. Love this site. Hopefully I'll get more smarterer about my Cobalt and be able to return the favor to others
Depending on what you want....either route an extension cord somewhere easily accessible and just use that, or find a flat spot on the transom somewhere and bust out the hole saw :)
IMG_20180909_110630.jpg
IMG_20180909_110640.jpg

Re: Where to mount onboard charger

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:56 am
by Homeskillet
I don't think I have a good place to put that plug receptacle. Thinking about using a hole saw on the plate next to my battery selector switch. I'd have to open the back seat bottom to plug in. Idk yet tho... just thought of that yesterday afternoon when I was looking around (might night even work).

Re: Where to mount onboard charger

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:19 am
by Ytmsn
Homeskillet wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:56 am I don't think I have a good place to put that plug receptacle. Thinking about using a hole saw on the plate next to my battery selector switch. I'd have to open the back seat bottom to plug in. Idk yet tho... just thought of that yesterday afternoon when I was looking around (might night even work).
That's what I do Skillet. I just run the cord up and out to plug it in. And my charger is mounted on the forward bulkhead in front of the engine. And yeah... I may drill a hole at some point to plug it directly in, but I'd still have to snake the cord under the mooring cover. Soo....

Re: Where to mount onboard charger

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:28 am
by Driller
Here's where I mounted mine.

Re: Where to mount onboard charger

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:28 am
by thunder550
Homeskillet wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:56 am I don't think I have a good place to put that plug receptacle. Thinking about using a hole saw on the plate next to my battery selector switch. I'd have to open the back seat bottom to plug in. Idk yet tho... just thought of that yesterday afternoon when I was looking around (might night even work).
Before I installed the receptacle I just ran a short extension cord from the charger into the compartment under the rear seats. When the boat was in storage I'd just toss another extension cord from the outlet over the side of the boat and run it between the seat cushions to the charger cord. Worked fine this way. The receptacle is nice to have, but not necessary IMO.

Re: Where to mount onboard charger

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:29 am
by Big Block Power
Ytmsn wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:19 am
Homeskillet wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:56 am I don't think I have a good place to put that plug receptacle. Thinking about using a hole saw on the plate next to my battery selector switch. I'd have to open the back seat bottom to plug in. Idk yet tho... just thought of that yesterday afternoon when I was looking around (might night even work).
That's what I do Skillet. I just run the cord up and out to plug it in. And my charger is mounted on the forward bulkhead in front of the engine. And yeah... I may drill a hole at some point to plug it directly in, but I'd still have to snake the cord under the mooring cover. Soo....
Just drill a hole in the bottom and no one will ever see it. Lol

Re: Where to mount onboard charger

Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:23 pm
by Homeskillet
20190501_192043.jpg
20190501_191915.jpg
Installed!

Ran the plug thru the battery selector switch. It isn't perfect, but it's out of the way and I can plug it in without lifting the engine hatch :)