Prizm polarized sunglasses...are they worth the money?

User avatar
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 3478
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:28 am
Location: near Buffalo, NY
Contact:

Re: Prizm polarized sunglasses...are they worth the money?

Post by Tuscany »

NautiGirl wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:42 pm Mrs Nauti here... Yes... The prizm lens will be my next pair of ski goggles. Side by side with the oakley polarized I choose the prizm everytime!
I’m learining something here. There is a difference between polarized and Prism lens?
What is the difference?
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
User avatar
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 3478
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:28 am
Location: near Buffalo, NY
Contact:

Re: Prizm polarized sunglasses...are they worth the money?

Post by Tuscany »

AsLan7 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:30 pm .
If it helps in deciding whether to go with an expensive pair of sunglasses or with an inexpensive pair, the LARGEST house (22,000 square feet) on the Fort Lauderdale inter coastal waterway tour which we went on last week was from sunglass profits. 8-)

.
When we were on our Honeymoon in Hawaii back in 87’, we actually met the owner of Maui Jim sunglasses. Maui’s were only in Hawaii at the time if I remember right. He was then working out of a small, very normal business office. Obviously, that time was at the very beginning of the end of rack style Foster-Grant dominance. The price back them was an extremely expensive 80 bucks.🤣 I remember being blown away from the clarity and polarizing effect. I wanted to see if we could get a better selection and a better price since the beach prices seemed unreal. The place was just a simple office. I should have asked if I could invest😂.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
User avatar
Patriot 8713
Commander
Commander
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:36 am
Location: Lake of the Ozarks
Contact:

Re: Prizm polarized sunglasses...are they worth the money?

Post by Patriot 8713 »

Tuscany wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:56 am
NautiGirl wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:42 pm Mrs Nauti here... Yes... The prizm lens will be my next pair of ski goggles. Side by side with the oakley polarized I choose the prizm everytime!
I’m learining something here. There is a difference between polarized and Prism lens?
What is the difference?
I got this information from an Oakley Forum (I guess there really is a forum for everything).

Prizm - it's not a industry name but Oakley's marketing term for this new line. They are a family of contrast lenses (as opposed to a neutral base like grey). What makes these different than other contrast lenses is, traditional contrast base tints tend to be a general color wash. With Prizm, they are able to fine-tune which light wavelengths i.e. colors are filtered or passed. Like you had a multi-band EQ. So the various Prizms have been tuned to be optimal for specific activities, such as Prizm Golf is tuned to make the difference between green and dead grass stand out. But it's not like you're limited to using them only for their named purpose; for example, I like using Prizm Trail as rain-driving glasses.

Polarization is a filter that will block reflected light - in sunglasses it is usually oriented to block light reflected up from below, such as from a wet road or the hood of a car. Any lens could potentially be offered in a polarized version, regardless of whether the base tint is neutral, contrast, or Prizm.
2005 Cobalt 282
496 HO - Bravo III
Lake of the Ozarks, MO 21MM
User avatar
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2981
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:07 pm
Location: Antioch, IL
Contact:

Re: Prizm polarized sunglasses...are they worth the money?

Post by akorcovelos »

I wish you could get lenses like this in prescription, I'd be all over it.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
User avatar
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 11526
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
Location: Erie PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times
Contact:

Re: Prizm polarized sunglasses...are they worth the money?

Post by AsLan7 »

Tuscany wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:02 am
AsLan7 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:30 pm .
If it helps in deciding whether to go with an expensive pair of sunglasses or with an inexpensive pair, the LARGEST house (22,000 square feet) on the Fort Lauderdale inter coastal waterway tour which we went on last week was from sunglass profits. 8-)

.
When we were on our Honeymoon in Hawaii back in 87’, we actually met the owner of Maui Jim sunglasses. Maui’s were only in Hawaii at the time if I remember right. He was then working out of a small, very normal business office. Obviously, that time was at the very beginning of the end of rack style Foster-Grant dominance. The price back them was an extremely expensive 80 bucks.🤣 I remember being blown away from the clarity and polarizing effect. I wanted to see if we could get a better selection and a better price since the beach prices seemed unreal. The place was just a simple office. I should have asked if I could invest😂.

.
You sure should have T. Sunglass margins are one of the best around.

In fact my best friend from college got into the sunglass hut business. He & his family now live on an island off the Gulf coast in the red neck riviera region . He went to Auburn for wildlife & fisheries management to be a park ranger. 8-)

....and that house pic on the first page ...the founder of Sunglass Hut.




.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
User avatar
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 3478
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:28 am
Location: near Buffalo, NY
Contact:

Re: Prizm polarized sunglasses...are they worth the money?

Post by Tuscany »

Haha, good for them.. what a great business and they deserve it!..maybe in my next life..🤣🤣
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
User avatar
Patriot 8713
Commander
Commander
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:36 am
Location: Lake of the Ozarks
Contact:

Re: Prizm polarized sunglasses...are they worth the money?

Post by Patriot 8713 »

akorcovelos wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:29 am I wish you could get lenses like this in prescription, I'd be all over it.
Costa has prescription sunglasses that you can get their 580 lens that is just like the Oakley Prizm.

https://www.costadelmar.com/us/en/presc ... sunglasses

https://www.costadelmar.com/us/en/perfo ... 580-lenses
2005 Cobalt 282
496 HO - Bravo III
Lake of the Ozarks, MO 21MM
JTinMO
Captain
Captain
Posts: 366
Joined: Mon May 21, 2018 8:30 am
Location: Kansas City, MO
Contact:

Re: Prizm polarized sunglasses...are they worth the money?

Post by JTinMO »

I have three pairs of Costa polarized sunglasses. That's all I wear. boating, driving, hell even mowing the grass. I will only wear my Costas. Glass lens. Green Mirror 580G lenses. I have a couple different frames, but the plain old black plastic ones fit me the best. Tortoise looks good, but heavier.

Lightweight, no glare, no scratching, work in low light and middle of the day. Zero complaints. You would think I'm a salesman for them. I bought my wife a pair after she incessantly harassed me about my first pair. She's on her third pair now as well. She's ditched her Ray Bans and will only wear the Costas as well. I just had to buy her a replacement pair 2 weeks ago as she lost a pair on a work trip (someone on Southwest airlines got a present).

I did have a nephew step on mine on the boat and completely shattered the lenses and frames. I sent them to Costa, gave them $60 (or something similar), and got a brand new pair back in return. They have a warranty for defects, but also take care of you if you damage them. They want to keep ou in their glasses, and it works well. That's why I am not afraid of wearing them while mowing, etc. If they scratch, you can send them in and pay them a very minimal fee, and you get brand new lenses back. They are more expensive up front, but as long as you do not physically lose them, you can always have a brand new pair in your hands within 2 weeks if they get damaged, for very minimal cost.

I get mine whenever my Cabelas credit card points rack up, but you can watch their sales as well and save some bucks. Just do it, I guarantee you will love them.
2010 Cobalt 232 8.1Gi
User avatar
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2981
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:07 pm
Location: Antioch, IL
Contact:

Re: Prizm polarized sunglasses...are they worth the money?

Post by akorcovelos »

Interesting, I'll have to talk to my optometrist and see if they can get them for me.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
User avatar
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2023
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:09 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: Prizm polarized sunglasses...are they worth the money?

Post by Driller »

akorcovelos wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:29 am I wish you could get lenses like this in prescription, I'd be all over it.
I have Maui Jim make my prescriptions. I have worn glasses for 50 years and they are the clearest and best I have ever owned. Sent a pair in to have the script changed. They called back and said sorry, that frame has been discontinued. However pick any new frame at no cost and we’ll build the new script. Maui Jim fan for life. My wife too.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
mdadgar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:22 pm
Location: SF Bay Area
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Prizm polarized sunglasses...are they worth the money?

Post by mdadgar »

I have owned all kinds of sunglasses over the years and the only ones I will buy anymore, because they are the only ones worth the money, are Maui Jims. This is for two reason:

1) the optics are consistently hands-down the best I've ever tried
2) they will replace the lenses in any pair of sunglasses they've ever sold at any time for a flat $75 (both lenses)

- Mark
Mark Dadgar
2013 Cobalt A25, 6.0 VP 380hp "More Cowbell"
Monte Sereno, CA (winter) | Lake Don Pedro (summer)
Boats are for when I'm not racing cars
User avatar
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2057
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Prizm polarized sunglasses...are they worth the money?

Post by Bfun220 »

mdadgar wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:24 am I have owned all kinds of sunglasses over the years and the only ones I will buy anymore, because they are the only ones worth the money, are Maui Jims. This is for two reason:

1) the optics are consistently hands-down the best I've ever tried
2) they will replace the lenses in any pair of sunglasses they've ever sold at any time for a flat $75 (both lenses)

- Mark
+1
Maui Jims are all I've had for last 10 years.
2018 r5
2003 220
JTinMO
Captain
Captain
Posts: 366
Joined: Mon May 21, 2018 8:30 am
Location: Kansas City, MO
Contact:

Re: Prizm polarized sunglasses...are they worth the money?

Post by JTinMO »

gdane wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:25 am Went fishing down in the gulf and the guides were all wearing Costa sunglasses. Man once you try these watch out because that's the only brand you will want to wear. Costa's have a cooling effect on the eye balls. If you purchase go with the glass lenses the plastic scratches to easily. You won't be disappointed!
Agreed 100%. Both my wife and I switched from Maui Jim to Costa's. Maui Jim's are good, but the contrast I get with the Green Mirror 580 lens is what does it for me. All colors pop, and for boating/fishing it's the way to go with the polarization. Beats the pants off of every other polarized lens I've had.
2010 Cobalt 232 8.1Gi
gdane
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Posts: 520
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:27 pm
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: Prizm polarized sunglasses...are they worth the money?

Post by gdane »

JTinmo We tend to Loce the same things. Where do ya boat?
2016 R7
Volvo 380
" ONE MORE DAY II"
"Liquid Lounge" on
Table Rock Lake
JTinMO
Captain
Captain
Posts: 366
Joined: Mon May 21, 2018 8:30 am
Location: Kansas City, MO
Contact:

Re: Prizm polarized sunglasses...are they worth the money?

Post by JTinMO »

gdane wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:04 am JTinmo We tend to Loce the same things. Where do ya boat?
sent PM. Don't want to hijack the thread.
2010 Cobalt 232 8.1Gi
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests