Page 2 of 4

Re: New 2019 JL Audio

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:07 pm
by okielaker
Always wanted to listen to a pair of those (Carver Amazing). Have Magnepans, with Sunfire (Carver's last company) amp, pre-amp, and sub-woofer... can hear the organist pulling out the organ stops in some recordings for the Morman Tabernacle... kind of tickles me. Bob Carver still makes some tube amps.. rather pricey, but probably worth the $$.
One of my favorite stories is about the time Bob Carver tuned one of his transistor amps to make it indistinguishable (double blind listening test with professional stereo reviewers) from one of the most expensive tube amps of the time (Conrad-Johnson something), on a bet. The Carver amp he used listed for about 10% of the CJ amp, I think. He was one amazing designer.

Re: New 2019 JL Audio

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:06 am
by AsLan7
okielaker wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:07 pm Always wanted to listen to a pair of those (Carver Amazing). Have Magnepans, with Sunfire (Carver's last company) amp, pre-amp, and sub-woofer... can hear the organist pulling out the organ stops in some recordings for the Morman Tabernacle... kind of tickles me. Bob Carver still makes some tube amps.. rather pricey, but probably worth the $$.
One of my favorite stories is about the time Bob Carver tuned one of his transistor amps to make it indistinguishable (double blind listening test with professional stereo reviewers) from one of the most expensive tube amps of the time (Conrad-Johnson something), on a bet. The Carver amp he used listed for about 10% of the CJ amp, I think. He was one amazing designer.
.
So true OkL. As you can imagine, the highest end Audio makers were not happy about that. It’s what put Bob on the map and changed the game.

...and that now renowned Stereophile test is also one of my all time favorite audiophile articles.

Love the quote after Stereophile did the test and called back to audio legend, Dick Olsher...


β€œThe next morning, I told Dick Olsher over the phone what we had found. "Bull- shit!" was his reasoned response. "That just can't be." But it was, it was then that we started to realize that, in reporting the outcome of this Challenge, we were going to have more to contend with than outrage and wonderment. We were going to have to contend with incredulity.”


Read more at:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/carver-challenge


.

Re: New 2019 JL Audio

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:57 pm
by okielaker
Thanks for the url, KoB... I haven't seen the article in a few years... didn't know it was still available. I had forgotten the sour grapes response. I guess you can't blame folks who respond angrily at having their long-held beliefs shattered so thoroughly. I have a Carver M-1.5t, and a Sunfire 400x5 amp that BC signed for me while it was with Bill Flannery for service, but I later came across a Sunfire Sig-600 amp, and love it for my Maggies. If Carver had designed products for Cobalt boats, I'd be auditioning those. The man is a genius. I keep the 400x5 for backup, in case the 600 ever needs service.
bob_carver_sig.jpg

Re: New 2019 JL Audio

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:14 pm
by AsLan7
okielaker wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:57 pm Thanks for the url, KoB... I haven't seen the article in a few years... didn't know it was still available. I had forgotten the sour grapes response. I guess you can't blame folks who respond angrily at having their long-held beliefs shattered so thoroughly. I have a Carver M-1.5t, and a Sunfire 400x5 amp that BC signed for me while it was with Bill Flannery for service, but I later came across a Sunfire Sig-600 amp, and love it for my Maggies. If Carver had designed products for Cobalt boats, I'd be auditioning those. The man is a genius. I keep the 400x5 for backup, in case the 600 ever needs service.

bob_carver_sig.jpg
.
Nice!
Great Carver minds think alike OkL.πŸ‘πŸ» :mrgreen:
(this thread is so derailed :lol: )

.

Re: New 2019 JL Audio

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:08 am
by Big Block Power
Yea from a Jl amp to Carver home stereos. Awesome. Good job boys. πŸ‘

Re: New 2019 JL Audio

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:01 am
by Ytmsn
Anyone want to talk about props? 😁

Re: New 2019 JL Audio

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:12 am
by Big Block Power
Ytmsn wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:01 am Anyone want to talk about props? 😁
Yea my wife is trying to mess up my plans today to prevent me from getting my props to BBlades. I think she's on to me.

Re: New 2019 JL Audio

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:29 pm
by AsLan7
Big Block Power wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:12 am
Ytmsn wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:01 am Anyone want to talk about props? 😁
Yea my wife is trying to mess up my plans today to prevent me from getting my props to BBlades. I think she's on to me.
.

Let's see how far we can take this thread even more off track....what are you getting her for Valentines day? :D

.

Re: New 2019 JL Audio

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:41 pm
by cmattj
Ytmsn wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:01 am Anyone want to talk about props? 😁
Finally.. I was waiting to get in this thread.

Re: New 2019 JL Audio

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:50 pm
by NautiGirl
AsLan7 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:29 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:12 am
Ytmsn wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:01 am Anyone want to talk about props? 😁
Yea my wife is trying to mess up my plans today to prevent me from getting my props to BBlades. I think she's on to me.
.

Let's see how far we can take this thread even more off track....what are you getting her for Valentines day? :D

.
Think BBP just answered that question - Mrs. BBP is going to open a box to find new props. She will be thrilled!

Re: New 2019 JL Audio

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:56 pm
by cmattj
NautiGirl wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:50 pm

Think BBP just answered that question - Mrs. BBP is going to open a box to find new props. She will be thrilled!
If he adds a B- blades female T shirt I’m sure she’ll loce it!

Re: New 2019 JL Audio

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:00 pm
by AsLan7
Exactly!πŸ˜‚

Re: New 2019 JL Audio

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:01 pm
by Big Block Power
So she found my props and sent me to the heart Dr today. She's saying something.

Re: New 2019 JL Audio

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:24 pm
by Big Block Power
This is related to audio. I thought of you Tuscany. Sorry.

Re: New 2019 JL Audio

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:32 pm
by NautiGirl
Jesus BBP what kind of sites are you browsing to get ads for "Metalhead Dating" sites? Never mind, I am better off not knowing.