Page 10 of 12

Re: New A series

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:16 am
by jhnmdahl
Tuscany wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:42 am If only MD... what a great engine.
The problem is that diesel is an expensive and heavy platform with lots of space robbing emissions equipment. Straight 6 diesel platforms run a tighter RPM range, which would affected speed. My little VP runs a huge RPM span, and until there are two speed transmissions in an outdrive, diesels are probably useless for our boats.
It would be great in a larger boat, but probably not viable in our sporty bowriders.

Even a pair of small V-6 engines would be a much better choice than a single 430 in that boat. Personally as a single engine, I wouldn’t bother even looking at it. For that cost, you are entering a different category of boating, with better choices available.
BMW's straight six is a 3.0L - a couple of them would fit well in a boat in the 25-35 foot range. Mercury did take VW's 3.0L diesel and turn it into a marine engine, so it's not out of the question.

Re: New A series

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:37 pm
by liquid
Found the arch inspiration:

Re: New A series

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:45 pm
by akorcovelos
jhnmdahl wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:16 am
Tuscany wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:42 am If only MD... what a great engine.
The problem is that diesel is an expensive and heavy platform with lots of space robbing emissions equipment. Straight 6 diesel platforms run a tighter RPM range, which would affected speed. My little VP runs a huge RPM span, and until there are two speed transmissions in an outdrive, diesels are probably useless for our boats.
It would be great in a larger boat, but probably not viable in our sporty bowriders.

Even a pair of small V-6 engines would be a much better choice than a single 430 in that boat. Personally as a single engine, I wouldn’t bother even looking at it. For that cost, you are entering a different category of boating, with better choices available.
BMW's straight six is a 3.0L - a couple of them would fit well in a boat in the 25-35 foot range. Mercury did take VW's 3.0L diesel and turn it into a marine engine, so it's not out of the question.
BMW has made marine diesels in the past with the 2.5L M21b25 and the 3.5L M30 based diesel through the early 90's, not sure if they still do, but back then they were good small displacement diesels.

Re: New A series

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:30 am
by Tuscany
Maybe I'm the only one, but I'm really starting to like the arch design, and would order it. It's definitely growing on me. Maybe because I embrace different, and it is different...

Being collapsible obviously, but it possess a styling cue that is finally a basic change from the universal status quo. I applaud Cobalt for stepping up. I'm not a fan of the boat's single engine, but when that thing comes tooling into a cove, everyone will be looking, and eventually knowing that it's a Cobalt long before they see the entire boat.

I wouldn't be surprised if we are looking at the styling future on all Cobalt boat redesigns to come.
On the flip side, all of our boats may start to show their age..

Re: New A series

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:35 am
by Ytmsn
liquid wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:37 pm Found the arch inspiration:
Haha!

Sorry Tusc, you missed it on this one. 😁 They should call that thing a 4020 arch. 40% ugly and only 20 people like it! 😁😁

Re: New A series

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:39 am
by cmattj
Ytmsn wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:35 am
liquid wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:37 pm Found the arch inspiration:
Haha!

Sorry Tusc, you missed it on this one. 😁 They should call that thing a 4020 arch. 40% ugly and only 20 people like it! 😁😁
Awesome liquid.

Yeah I’m not all in yet on the tower. Maybe if it had a pull out sunshade to go back I would see the Loce for it.

Re: New A series

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:44 am
by Tuscany
Haha, I know YT. 🤣
I may be the only one, but it is a new style that’s unlike anything else. Maybe something like the new Chevy HD. Neither are pretty to look at right now because they are so different, but both have made an attempt to separate themselves, with the Chevy REALLY separating itself.🤣

But honestly, look at it objectively through Colbalt’s view. Status quo is ho-humm at the least, and deadly if you don’t step out and take a real gamble at some point.
The current and attractive arch shape is the same forward look as every other popular boat on the market. It’s more of a style than function, and really hasn’t evolved much.
After looking at the print Matt shot at the plant, and listening to pre tour presentation where they know that current production will die on the vine if they stick with status quo. I think you are looking at the new lines of a Cobalt.
The new A series, as well as the new R series may be reflecting this line.

After all, why trade your boat in if you are just buying the same thing?
In the end, a lack of balls be why a company ends up like SeaRay..

Re: New A series

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:15 am
by Bobo87
liquid wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:37 pm Found the arch inspiration:
Nothing runs like a Deere, right Liquid?

Re: New A series

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:31 pm
by Holy Smokes
Hadn’t noticed this feature. PURE GENIUS!!

https://funair.com/blogs/blog/cobalt-ya ... system-ims

Re: New A series

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:24 pm
by Big Block Power
Holy Smokes wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:31 pm Hadn’t noticed this feature. PURE GENIUS!!

https://funair.com/blogs/blog/cobalt-ya ... system-ims
Yes that's how they win the innovation award at the show I believe. Pretty cool

Re: New A series

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:45 am
by Tuscany
Looking for positives..

Along with the arch design change, it also looks like the days of the twin screen Garmins may be in for a change as well...
The helm on that thing is the very-ist of cool! Notice the LED light trim around the new TV sized screen?
Although others are questioning the navy color in hot weather, and a great point, it sure blends in very well, and the team just adds more contrast. Me likie..Me no buy-ie without twins though..

Re: New A series

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:54 am
by tgrace98
T you have lost me on this one. Yeah the android stereo controls are cool. But the helm is just meh to me. I get that every builder is doing the dual chart plotter dash now. So they had to change it up. But the layout is a little to squared off for my liking.

And that steering wheel 🤮

Re: New A series

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:20 am
by Tuscany
Haha, I did say I was looking for positives. I just couldn't find one for the steering wheel. :lol:
Hopefully they will settle on an all blue wheel if they feel they need to carry the color there.
If Cobalt were to switch to a large screen display, they would have to square off the helm. I'd love to see it at night. I do like the LED piping, and I LOVE the navy color dash..

Re: New A series

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:23 am
by Big Block Power
Did I forget to say I love the hidius speaker cover. Yea you look at the big boats out there and they are going to a single main screen with 9 others around the boat. Lol

Re: New A series

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:52 am
by Table Rockin
Tuscany wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:45 am Looking for positives..

Along with the arch design change, it also looks like the days of the twin screen Garmins may be in for a change as well...
The helm on that thing is the very-ist of cool! Notice the LED light trim around the new TV sized screen?
Although others are questioning the navy color in hot weather, and a great point, it sure blends in very well, and the team just adds more contrast. Me likie..Me no buy-ie without twins though..
If you were looking for further evidence of a no twins package just look at the helm controls. Usually when twins are an option you need a flat base wide enough to mount the dual VP (or Merc) throttles. In this pic there is no way to mount twin throttles where the single throttle exists.

Overall I like the helm well enough. I did notice they partially fixed the captain's cup holder placement. For all of cobalts design genius I've always been frustrated with the cup holder placement for the captain. In my R7 its too damn low. The Captain shouldnt have to bend over for his drink!