Gears are likely fine. The longer you run it with a bad clutch the more beating the gears take.Homeskillet wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:17 am I agree with you all 100%.
Any thoughts to the "possibility of it being the gears, too?"
Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
- akorcovelos
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2981
- Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:07 pm
- Location: Antioch, IL
- Contact:
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
-
Holy Smokes
- Captain

- Posts: 383
- Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 2:16 pm
- Location: KS
- Contact:
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
Engine & drive issues do not follow a certain brand. All Mercury and all Volvo have their inherent issues no matter what hull their mated to.
2005 Cobalt 360, 496Mag HO's with Bravo 3X drives
LOTO - Lake of the Ozarks
LOTO - Lake of the Ozarks
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
I can tell you after owning a crownline and I belong to the forum. Great guys good boats. But I will never buy another after owning my Oldie but moldie 220. To me they don't even compare.
I'll take yours off your hands cheap when you're ready


Fix it and run it. Things break that's just the way it goes.
I'll take yours off your hands cheap when you're ready
Fix it and run it. Things break that's just the way it goes.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
-
Homeskillet
- Captain

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
- Location: Wisconsin
- Contact:
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
Well... Fireworks are cancelled around here, so I guess I won't have to worry about being Cole Trickle back to the launch

- akorcovelos
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2981
- Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:07 pm
- Location: Antioch, IL
- Contact:
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
Rubbin’ is racin’ Son!
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
-
Homeskillet
- Captain

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
- Location: Wisconsin
- Contact:
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
Welp!!! it goes in and out of gear in the driveway on the muffs, so we're heading out!!
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
Seams like most of the bugs are out of this boat so I would get the outdrive fixed or if it’s to bad once the mechanic is in it get a used or reman SEI drive
On another note I have always changed my fluids every year this way you can check for water in the drive
On another note I have always changed my fluids every year this way you can check for water in the drive
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
In the driveway is diff then I the water So good luck.Homeskillet wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:30 pm Welp!!! it goes in and out of gear in the driveway on the muffs, so we're heading out!!
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
-
Homeskillet
- Captain

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
- Location: Wisconsin
- Contact:
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
Yep! So here's what it's doing (for sure) now:
Goes into gear, every time, no problem. But spins much slower. I can hear it go in (driveway or on the water) every time. But when I advance the throttle, it gives a little "kick" to get going. Seems like it does that more after it's been running more. I'm not sure if any of this changes what anyone thinks about what is wrong. I just wanted to be thorough
Had a good time on the water. Got back to the launch, and loaded, with no trouble at all. Supposed to go in Monday for a new Clutch Cone.
Goes into gear, every time, no problem. But spins much slower. I can hear it go in (driveway or on the water) every time. But when I advance the throttle, it gives a little "kick" to get going. Seems like it does that more after it's been running more. I'm not sure if any of this changes what anyone thinks about what is wrong. I just wanted to be thorough
Had a good time on the water. Got back to the launch, and loaded, with no trouble at all. Supposed to go in Monday for a new Clutch Cone.
- BigGib
- Captain

- Posts: 268
- Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:11 am
- Location: Osage Beach / Wentzville, MO
- Contact:
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
I had to do both come clutches on my 2008 302 with 400 hours in it, wasn't a cheap fix at all but now their good to go. Your gears and bearings are probably good, but they won't know till they open the drives up. Definitely sounds like a cone clutch though.
I've owned 2 Crownlines, a Baja, Formula, IMP, Four Winn's, and now a Cobalt. I can tell you the build quality and fit and finish on the Cobalt blows away any of the other ones I've owned. The Four Winn's was a well built boat, much nicer than our Corwnlines, but still not at the standard of a Cobalt.
I've owned 2 Crownlines, a Baja, Formula, IMP, Four Winn's, and now a Cobalt. I can tell you the build quality and fit and finish on the Cobalt blows away any of the other ones I've owned. The Four Winn's was a well built boat, much nicer than our Corwnlines, but still not at the standard of a Cobalt.
2008 Cobalt 302 5.7GXI's
"Meant to Be"
Wentzville, MO
Lake of the Ozarks
"Meant to Be"
Wentzville, MO
Lake of the Ozarks
-
Homeskillet
- Captain

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
- Location: Wisconsin
- Contact:
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
Clutch is fixed!
But when he started the boat to test it out, he said it sounded liked it was missing. Checked it out and it’s only running on 6 cylinders. My season may be over. He is going to get into it next week.
But when he started the boat to test it out, he said it sounded liked it was missing. Checked it out and it’s only running on 6 cylinders. My season may be over. He is going to get into it next week.
- akorcovelos
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2981
- Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:07 pm
- Location: Antioch, IL
- Contact:
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
Did it have 2 dead pots when you dropped it off for the clutch?
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
What the hell.Homeskillet wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:04 pm Clutch is fixed!
But when he started the boat to test it out, he said it sounded liked it was missing. Checked it out and it’s only running on 6 cylinders. My season may be over. He is going to get into it next week.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
- AsLan7
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 11526
- Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
- Location: Erie PA
- Has thanked: 1 time
- Been thanked: 6 times
- Contact:
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
.Homeskillet wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:04 pm Clutch is fixed!
But when he started the boat to test it out, he said it sounded liked it was missing. Checked it out and it’s only running on 6 cylinders. My season may be over. He is going to get into it next week.
How much was the cone clutch fix?
Keep us posted now on the cylinder loss. Double whammy.
...ouch.
.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food
(CChat moderator)
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food
(CChat moderator)
-
Homeskillet
- Captain

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
- Location: Wisconsin
- Contact:
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests
