R3 Folding Arch Wiring Question
R3 Folding Arch Wiring Question
I’ve been reading about the Garmin glass cockpit on the R series boats and have learned that after you setup a wifi network on the Garmin 7407 display, you can setup a Garmin (or GoPro) action camera and control it from the 7407, including displaying what the camera is recording on the display and “pinch to zoom” on the display to zoom the camera in or out. So, I’ll be able to record my kids thrills and spills this summer.
The only problem is these cameras don’t have great battery life, so a power wire would be helpful. Does anyone with a folding arch know if there is a wire exit point with a rubber grommet near the arch’s tow point? If so, is there a way to fish a thin power wire to that point?
The only problem is these cameras don’t have great battery life, so a power wire would be helpful. Does anyone with a folding arch know if there is a wire exit point with a rubber grommet near the arch’s tow point? If so, is there a way to fish a thin power wire to that point?
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
- NautiGirl
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2849
- Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 pm
- Location: Kentucky
- Been thanked: 1 time
- Contact:
Re: R3 Folding Arch Wiring Question
GoPro batteries are relativity cheap. Katie has 4 batteries for her GoPro and a charger that can charge them all at once. 4 is enough to last all day, just toss them on the charger overnight and you are good to go for the next day.
You could try to fish a wire, the charging port on the GoPro is USB-C, I doubt you will find a long enough cable to get from a power source in the boat up to the tower. I would be hesitant to cut up a USB cable and splice it into a power wire you ran through the tower, but thats just me.
Buying a couple batteries seems a lot easier.
You could try to fish a wire, the charging port on the GoPro is USB-C, I doubt you will find a long enough cable to get from a power source in the boat up to the tower. I would be hesitant to cut up a USB cable and splice it into a power wire you ran through the tower, but thats just me.
Buying a couple batteries seems a lot easier.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
Re: R3 Folding Arch Wiring Question
You may be right. I have a friend who is an electrical engineer who can create the wire, but I’m wondering if there is an exit point near where the optional tower speakers mount? I assume the white nav light on the tower gets its power from below (from inside the arch tubing).NautiGirl wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:42 pm GoPro batteries are relativity cheap. Katie has 4 batteries for her GoPro and a charger that can charge them all at once. 4 is enough to last all day, just toss them on the charger overnight and you are good to go for the next day.
You could try to fish a wire, the charging port on the GoPro is USB-C, I doubt you will find a long enough cable to get from a power source in the boat up to the tower. I would be hesitant to cut up a USB cable and splice it into a power wire you ran through the tower, but thats just me.
Buying a couple batteries seems a lot easier.
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
- NautiGirl
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2849
- Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 pm
- Location: Kentucky
- Been thanked: 1 time
- Contact:
Re: R3 Folding Arch Wiring Question
BobRae99 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:21 pmYou may be right. I have a friend who is an electrical engineer who can create the wire, but I’m wondering if there is an exit point near where the optional tower speakers mount? I assume the white nav light on the tower gets its power from below (from inside the arch tubing).NautiGirl wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:42 pm GoPro batteries are relativity cheap. Katie has 4 batteries for her GoPro and a charger that can charge them all at once. 4 is enough to last all day, just toss them on the charger overnight and you are good to go for the next day.
You could try to fish a wire, the charging port on the GoPro is USB-C, I doubt you will find a long enough cable to get from a power source in the boat up to the tower. I would be hesitant to cut up a USB cable and splice it into a power wire you ran through the tower, but thats just me.
Buying a couple batteries seems a lot easier.
You are correct the Nav light gets power from below, but it's switched, so if you splice into that wire you are going to be running with nav lights on to power the GoPro. Plus cutting into factory wiring can't be good for your warranty.
There is most likely a hole cut in the tower for the speakers, and if not it would be pretty easy to drill one where you needed it with a step bit, but a couple GoPro batteries that you switch out during the day seems easier.
Plus plugging a power cable into the GoPro means you have to open an access door on the camera, and the camera won't fit in any of the GoPro mounts with the access door open. So really there is no way to have the GoPro plugged in and mounted to the tower at the same time.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
Re: R3 Folding Arch Wiring Question
You are right, spare batteries it is.NautiGirl wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:27 pmBobRae99 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:21 pmYou may be right. I have a friend who is an electrical engineer who can create the wire, but I’m wondering if there is an exit point near where the optional tower speakers mount? I assume the white nav light on the tower gets its power from below (from inside the arch tubing).NautiGirl wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:42 pm GoPro batteries are relativity cheap. Katie has 4 batteries for her GoPro and a charger that can charge them all at once. 4 is enough to last all day, just toss them on the charger overnight and you are good to go for the next day.
You could try to fish a wire, the charging port on the GoPro is USB-C, I doubt you will find a long enough cable to get from a power source in the boat up to the tower. I would be hesitant to cut up a USB cable and splice it into a power wire you ran through the tower, but thats just me.
Buying a couple batteries seems a lot easier.
You are correct the Nav light gets power from below, but it's switched, so if you splice into that wire you are going to be running with nav lights on to power the GoPro. Plus cutting into factory wiring can't be good for your warranty.
There is most likely a hole cut in the tower for the speakers, and if not it would be pretty easy to drill one where you needed it with a step bit, but a couple GoPro batteries that you switch out during the day seems easier.
Plus plugging a power cable into the GoPro means you have to open an access door on the camera, and the camera won't fit in any of the GoPro mounts with the access door open. So really there is no way to have the GoPro plugged in and mounted to the tower at the same time.
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
Re: R3 Folding Arch Wiring Question
I had a quick look at the Garmin Virb Ultra 30 and accessories. That action camera is available with a "powered housing" that allows you to power that camera while it is mounted in a waterproof case. The cable only provides power; communication from the camera to the glass cockpit would be via wifi. I can also use that method (more easily) if I mount the camera on the tow ball near the stern and can then run the power directly to a battery (easier to get to a power source).
Of course, as you point out, it may be simpler (and cheaper) just to get two extra batteries and a dual USB charger and just keep fresh batteries charging in the port side glove box.
Of course, as you point out, it may be simpler (and cheaper) just to get two extra batteries and a dual USB charger and just keep fresh batteries charging in the port side glove box.
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
Re: R3 Folding Arch Wiring Question
I might be the minority here. But the idea of a camera mounted to my boat all the time sounds a little silly to me. Are you really going to go back and watch all your boat rides and water sports?
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”
Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
“Smooth Operator”
Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
- NautiGirl
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2849
- Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 pm
- Location: Kentucky
- Been thanked: 1 time
- Contact:
Re: R3 Folding Arch Wiring Question
No you are correct...what makes a good gopro movie edit is having different angles and activities...unless you are good with the editing side of things a go pro isn't that cool.tgrace98 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:13 am I might be the minority here. But the idea of a camera mounted to my boat all the time sounds a little silly to me. Are you really going to go back and watch all your boat rides and water sports?
I'm in the process of editing my ski trip and I'm still learning new tricks to shooting good footage and the best way to edit. Takes some time for sure.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
Re: R3 Folding Arch Wiring Question
I guess I'm just looking for a foolproof no-hassle way to capture the moments with the kids I want to preserve. An action camera with zoom, limitless power supply and a large micro SD card, means I can set it and forget it for the afternoon and see what I got back when we get back to the cabin at the end of the day. 98% might get erased, but that first time up on skis for my 9 year old this summer, or my 12 year old attempting to drop a ski for the first time - "priceless".tgrace98 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:13 am I might be the minority here. But the idea of a camera mounted to my boat all the time sounds a little silly to me. Are you really going to go back and watch all your boat rides and water sports?
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
Re: R3 Folding Arch Wiring Question
I've used a GoPro when I pull guest. They love having the vid, but I don't use it for normal ops.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
"DIGGIN' IT"
Re: R3 Folding Arch Wiring Question
I spent some time looking at in stock boats at my dealer this morning - primarily looking at colours - and a Surf boat with premium sound and folding arch had holes drilled on the underside of the rear horizontal bar in positions corresponding to where the tower speakers would mount. There was also a single hole under where the two stub/nav light is attached. They are all covered with removable plugs. The dealer said the towers have pull wires if I want to install tower spears at a later date or, if I want to pull a power line for an action camera. Probably won’t do it but good to know I can.
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
- akorcovelos
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2981
- Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:07 pm
- Location: Antioch, IL
- Contact:
Re: R3 Folding Arch Wiring Question
I bought an action cam for the boat. My buddy claims he can barefoot, I have doubts and fully believe the footage I get will more than justify the cost of the camera.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
Re: R3 Folding Arch Wiring Question
I’d like to see that footage (pun intended)akorcovelos wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:22 pm I bought an action cam for the boat. My buddy claims he can barefoot, I have doubts and fully believe the footage I get will more than justify the cost of the camera.
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 59 guests