Hi all...
I first mentioned problems I was having with my windlass under "New Members. The problem is on retrieval, the line bunches up and doesn't fall cleanly back into the anchor locker. This causes the clutch to slip and the only way to continue is to back off , letting line out, and reaching under the windless and pulling the line down into the locker and then continue retrieval. This process has to be repeated over and over to complete anchor retrieval.
I thought the problem might be old, dirty, worn out line, so I replaced the line and chain with 150' of new 3-braid, 1/2" nylon line and 15' of G4 chain. To my dismay, the some problem continues, even after tightening the clutch as much as possible. After researching what my be causing the problem, I noticed that I have only about 6 inches between the bottom of the windlass and the top of the coiled line and chain in the locker. I have read that you shroud have at least a foot of space to allow the line to drop freely into the locker. The anchor locker on my 273 does seem small compared to several of my neighbor's boats.
Do any of you with a windlass have a similar problem? I have noticed that as soon as I get to the chain on retrieval, I don't seem to have a problem. I also believe chain takes up less room in the anchor locker than nylon line. Would going to all-chain rode be advisable and eliminate the problem I am having? The maximum depth I anchor in is about 25', so I was thinking 80' to 100' of chain.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks.
Cobalt AnchorLift Windlass Problems
Cobalt AnchorLift Windlass Problems
2013 Cobalt 273 8.2 Merc HO Big Block
"Kristine Marie"
Lake Tahoe, CA
"Kristine Marie"
Lake Tahoe, CA
Re: Cobalt AnchorLift Windlass Problems
Sorry to hear the anchor locker is shallow??iboatmon wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:26 pm Hi all...
I first mentioned problems I was having with my windlass under "New Members. The problem is on retrieval, the line bunches up and doesn't fall cleanly back into the anchor locker. This causes the clutch to slip and the only way to continue is to back off , letting line out, and reaching under the windless and pulling the line down into the locker and then continue retrieval. This process has to be repeated over and over to complete anchor retrieval.
I thought the problem might be old, dirty, worn out line, so I replaced the line and chain with 150' of new 3-braid, 1/2" nylon line and 15' of G4 chain. To my dismay, the some problem continues, even after tightening the clutch as much as possible. After researching what my be causing the problem, I noticed that I have only about 6 inches between the bottom of the windlass and the top of the coiled line and chain in the locker. I have read that you shroud have at least a foot of space to allow the line to drop freely into the locker. The anchor locker on my 273 does seem small compared to several of my neighbor's boats.
Do any of you with a windlass have a similar problem? I have noticed that as soon as I get to the chain on retrieval, I don't seem to have a problem. I also believe chain takes up less room in the anchor locker than nylon line. Would going to all-chain rode be advisable and eliminate the problem I am having? The maximum depth I anchor in is about 25', so I was thinking 80' to 100' of chain.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks.
I like having the last 15 feet of chain so I get a audible noise I’m off the bottom and can reverse to clean the sand and mud off my anchor.
I then go to my front controls and bump in slow the last few feet.
Yes chain does occupy less space but it’s NOISY.
I’d pull 30 feet of rope off and try it again. As your not overnighting on the anchor. Those Delta flukes bite hard and in 25 feet of water 75 feet or a 3-1 scope will hold there. No current , just wind in Tahoe.
Reduce the rope and let us know! 86 degrees in Tahoe all week I saw! Nice weather!
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO
California Delta
Table Rock Lake
#FARCON
California Delta
Table Rock Lake
#FARCON
Re: Cobalt AnchorLift Windlass Problems
Could there be anything else causing the line to not fall through the hole cleanly and freely. I'm not positive but I think the line and chain I replaced was more like 100'. How mush does Cobalt usually put in there when you order the windlass?cmattj wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:34 pm
Sorry to hear the anchor locker is shallow??
I like having the last 15 feet of chain so I get a audible noise I’m off the bottom and can reverse to clean the sand and mud off my anchor.
I then go to my front controls and bump in slow the last few feet.
Yes chain does occupy less space but it’s NOISY.
I’d pull 30 feet of rope off and try it again. As your not overnighting on the anchor. Those Delta flukes bite hard and in 25 feet of water 75 feet or a 3-1 scope will hold there. No current , just wind in Tahoe.
Reduce the rope and let us know! 86 degrees in Tahoe all week I saw! Nice weather!
2013 Cobalt 273 8.2 Merc HO Big Block
"Kristine Marie"
Lake Tahoe, CA
"Kristine Marie"
Lake Tahoe, CA
Re: Cobalt AnchorLift Windlass Problems
I’m sure not enough by the sound of yours. My Niebor has a 45 carver with a anchor locker you could walk in. Ha..
I carry just 100ft As my markers show . But I’m only anchored in 25-35 feet max. Mostly 15. It’s the Delta remember!
I would watch the new rope drop in the locker and see when it get tight. Just remove enough so the chain gets picked up.
Or pause.. re position the dropped rope and proceed. In time the rope should settle and become more relaxed.
Your doing everything right. It just needs some more space to lay. Last resort.... Noisy chain.
I carry just 100ft As my markers show . But I’m only anchored in 25-35 feet max. Mostly 15. It’s the Delta remember!
I would watch the new rope drop in the locker and see when it get tight. Just remove enough so the chain gets picked up.
Or pause.. re position the dropped rope and proceed. In time the rope should settle and become more relaxed.
Your doing everything right. It just needs some more space to lay. Last resort.... Noisy chain.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO
California Delta
Table Rock Lake
#FARCON
California Delta
Table Rock Lake
#FARCON
Re: Cobalt AnchorLift Windlass Problems
Thanks!cmattj wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:58 pm I’m sure not enough by the sound of yours. My Niebor has a 45 carver with a anchor locker you could walk in. Ha..
I carry just 100ft As my markers show . But I’m only anchored in 25-35 feet max. Mostly 15. It’s the Delta remember!
I would watch the new rope drop in the locker and see when it get tight. Just remove enough so the chain gets picked up.
Or pause.. re position the dropped rope and proceed. In time the rope should settle and become more relaxed.
Your doing everything right. It just needs some more space to lay. Last resort.... Noisy chain.
2013 Cobalt 273 8.2 Merc HO Big Block
"Kristine Marie"
Lake Tahoe, CA
"Kristine Marie"
Lake Tahoe, CA
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 44 guests

